Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Perth Spirt and NRC 2016

Rookie
    vCash

Perth Spirt and NRC 2016

The Perth Spirit in 2016 let us start winning now. There was fair criticism in the resting policy in 2014 and this year we seemed to chop and changed the team about a lot.

What are the TWF aims for the Spirit?

Here is my opinion
    'The Spirit to mirror the Force Game plan to improve Force players and PPL know the standard to get a call up. Help them with the Force game plan. Play winning rugby. Let us maximize the Future Force and Wider Training Group to have the best possible team to represent us.'

Even though the Vikings were runners-up to Brisbane they were the gold standard. Allan Alaalatoa as the understudy to Scott Sio and Jordan Smiler for Scott Fardy etc.

Let’s maximize and showcase the local WA players.

Should we have all the other eligible Force players go to a single Sydney franchise as a block like North Harbour Rays. Maximize our buck and keep the playing together

Here is my Perth Spirit squad 10 months early where 17 Super contracted players were allowed in 2014-15.

Tom Sexton, Harry Scoble, Anaru Rangi (1)

Pekahou Cowan, Tetra Faulkner/Guy Millar * depends on Wallaby selection
    Ollie Hoskin, Joe Savage, Jermaine Ainsley, Kaisa Reedy (3)

Adam Coleman, Richie Arnold, Oscar Backhouse, Riley Winter (1)

Ross Haylett-Petty, Angus Cottrell, Matt Hodgson, Kane Koteka
    Richard Hardwick, Auega Seumanatafu, Hayden Anderson, Adrian Hall
    Pierre Roberts (4)

Ryan Louwrens , Justin Turner, Michael Ruru (1)

Luke Burton, AJ Alatimu (1)

Kyle Godwin, Davis Tavita, Ammon Matuauto, Maalonga Konelio (2)

Albert Nikoro, Onehunga Havili, Semisi Masirewa, Brad Lacey, Faamanatu Apineru, Dane Haylett-Petty, Byron Hutchinson (4)

Explanation about my “Captains Picks” –
    1. The veterans have been here for ten years and are the face of WA rugby do not send them away. (Close with Nathan Charles but thought Sexton more of a priority
    2. Nikoro and Masiwera chosen because of their residency status and keep them close to home
    3. Sexton’s first year here in WA
    4. McCalman the only guaranteed Wallaby, Faulkner a dark horse

The others that need to go East and I reckon this group would improve North Harbour Rays

Francois van Wyk
    Chris Heiberg
    Guy Millar* depending on Faulkner’s Wallaby prospect
    Nathan Charles
    Heath Tessman
    Rory Walton
    Chris Alcock
    Bryard Stander
    Ian Prior
    Jono Lance
    Ben Tapuai
    Junior Rasolea
    Marcel Brache
    Luke Morahan

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    It doesn't really matter what the TWF aims for the Spirit are, the RWA aims for the Spirit appear to be to give local players a few games in pre-defined line-ups which only get amended by injury and not by form.

Brisbane and Canberra both had settled line-ups with players trying to force themselves into the line-up through their play. It appears as if the Spirit players often knew that they wouldn't play the following week; I'd say that this means that they were playing to get themselves noticed enough to earn a Super Rugby/EPS contract, but not necessarily playing for the betterment of the team.

It's a valid, if somewhat depressing, model for a side; you acknowledge that you are unlikely to ever win the competition, but are aiming to improve the next level up by identifying talent. I just worry that the reason that the Spirit play that way is because the Force realise that they are in a similar position.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    It doesn't really matter what the TWF aims for the Spirit are, the RWA aims for the Spirit appear to be to give local players a few games in pre-defined line-ups which only get amended by injury and not by form.

Brisbane and Canberra both had settled line-ups with players trying to force themselves into the line-up through their play. It appears as if the Spirit players often knew that they wouldn't play the following week; I'd say that this means that they were playing to get themselves noticed enough to earn a Super Rugby/EPS contract, but not necessarily playing for the betterment of the team.

It's a valid, if somewhat depressing, model for a side; you acknowledge that you are unlikely to ever win the competition, but are aiming to improve the next level up by identifying talent. I just worry that the reason that the Spirit play that way is because the Force realise that they are in a similar position.
    It's a pity they aren't even trying very hard to retain the identified talent, if thats the case why was Joost allowed to be picked up by the Brumbies.
    Also the Force do not have the quality of coaches available that the other franchises have, so most young aspiring players are already looking beyond WA to further their Rugby careers.
    The Force have alot of questions to answer in relation to the very poor development pathway that still exists after been in existance for over ten years.
    The Force must develop home grown talent more than rely on bringing young players from the east, these players generally only stay until they get an offer to go home.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emu View Post
    Beers on a hill with a bit of rugby... Im easy like that!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    All class from Uncle Boog

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    It's a pity they aren't even trying very hard to retain the identified talent, if thats the case why was Joost allowed to be picked up by the Brumbies.
    Also the Force do not have the quality of coaches available that the other franchises have, so most young aspiring players are already looking beyond WA to further their Rugby careers.
    The Force have alot of questions to answer in relation to the very poor development pathway that still exists after been in existance for over ten years.
    The Force must develop home grown talent more than rely on bringing young players from the east, these players generally only stay until they get an offer to go home.
    We have some home-grown talent in the squad: Kyle Godwin, Luke Burton, Dane & Ross H-P, Kane Koteka, Justin Turner, Ollie Hoskins, plus a few guys who have come through with the Force, like: Cowan, Charles, Faulkner, McCalman, Cottrell, Rasolea. And don't forget we gave Pocock, O'Connor & Cummins their first starts in Super Rugby. So it's not like we have no development pathway, but it does appear to have stalled a little in recent years (are we still feeling the effects of Brain-Dead Dick?)

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Champion
    vCash
    (are we still feeling the effects of Brain-Dead Dick?)

I would suggest it has more to do with two certain "coaches" at the development level.

Rookie
    vCash
    Any comments on the idea having all the the other Force players together at asecond NRC franchise like North Harbour Rays.

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    I support the idea in principle. I believe that some of our players will improve with more game time during the season. Farming out some super players to another nrc side allows us to keep developing both super rugby players and the leading club rugby players.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Personally, my hope is that over time our players will want to return to play for whatever NRC team they came from. At the moment the suggestion seems to be that the players and/or team think it is all a bit beneath them.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Any comments on the idea having all the the other Force players together at asecond NRC franchise like North Harbour Rays.
    Mid-long term (say 2-5 years time) I'd like to see an Adelaide team in the NRC.

The finances for such a club would need to be primarily met by the SARU with hopefully a rugby benefactor and commercial sponsors. It's probably upwards of $0.5m a year to run.

But if this could be made to happen, I'd like to see the Force-RugbyWA and the Rebels-VRU take say a 20% stake each. Then the extra development players from Perth and Melbourne (maybe 8-12 from each) would all play for the Adelaide side. The Force and Rebels would provide one coach each to help run the program and monitor and develop their players.

There would also be some local Adelaide representative players and other free agents from the East Coast states in the side.

The aim is do do two things: (1) get Adelaide on the rugby map; and (2) give more development opportunities and control to the Force and Rebels rugby programs in addition to the Spirit and Rising.

vCash
    Would love to see Adelaide in this competition.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Rookie
    vCash
    Here is my Perth Spirit squad updated where 17 Super contracted players were allowed in 2014-15 I have 18 and includes probable Wallabies from the Force and one less team to spread Super players to.

Forwards 22
    Harry Scoble, Anaru Rangi, Conan Houkamau, Hemi Ford (0)

Pekahou Cowan, Francois Van Wyk, Toro Reedy
    Tetra Faulkner, Jermaine Ainsley, Mees Erasmus, Vui Shembeckler (3)

Adam Coleman, Richie Arnold, Riley Winter (1)

Ben McCalman, Ross Haylett-Petty, Angus Cottrell, Matt Hodgson, Kane Koteka
    Richard Hardwick, Auega Seumanatafu, Dylan Pieterse - 5

Backs 18
    Ian Prior, Angus Taylor, Michael Ruru (1)

Luke Burton, AJ Alatimu, Nuade Wessels (1)

Kyle Godwin, Davis Tavita, Ammon Matuauto, Maalonga Konelio (2)

Luke Morahan, Albert Nikoro, Onehunga Havili, Semisi Masirewa, Brad Lacey, Faamanatu Apineru, Dane Haylett-Petty, James Verity-Amm (5)

Explanation about my “Captains Picks” –
    1. The veterans have been here for ten years and are the face of WA rugby do not send them away.
    2. Nikoro and Masiwera chosen because of their residency status and keep them close to home
    3. Kyle Godwin subject to not signing anywhere else prior to NRC
    4. McCalman the only guaranteed Wallaby, DHP and then Morahan with Faulkner and Coleman a dark horse
    5. Unsure of return from injury dates Cowan and Burton

There is probably more room for Pindan Premier players.

Could anyone suggest additional Locks?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Whats up with Oscar Backhouse- I havent seen him on any Prem team lists. Injured? Given up the game?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    TWF aims that the InnFORCEr's complete 4 tours with a KPI of 21 pubs per tour and that such tours also included beers on Guvment Land.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast