Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Australia vs Scotland - RWC Quarter Final

vCash
    I can't disagree Sheikh.

I think what I'm trying to get at is that the bad calls flowed both ways pretty well.

Maitland....I think he should have had the stones to tell the TMO to shove it, it was a bullshit call, even Phil Kearns said so!
    Scrums, balanced that out, Scots got away with far too much IMHO they were clearly turning in and diving the whole night. The scrummaging was typified by the time Scotland clumsily tried to get a penalty for pushing early when the Wallabies weren't pushing at all and the front rows looked like they almost separated again. Should have been reffed better, neither side was good enough to milk penalties off the other.
    Offside penalty at the death was balanced out by several minutes of nothing being blown for fear of getting crucified in the media. Overall, balanced, not accurate, but balanced.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post

Maitland....I think he should have had the stones to tell the TMO to shove it, it was a bullshit call, even Phil Kearns said so!
    Come on GIGS, we're not playing soccer here, respect the man in the middle regardless of how good or bad his decisions are.

I think it is also an disgrace that World Rugby have come out and said that he made the wrong call. Perhaps they could have said "we need to review the laws and process of being able to utilise the TMO in critical decisions to ensure the best outcome can be achieved in critical situations", they certainly should not have thrown him under the bus (no Savea pun intended).

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    FFS when will people just get over it! there were bad calls both ways, you can't say that Joubert was favouring the Wallabies, but I can't say he was favouring the Scots (Sean Maitland) so call it even and move on!
    Final post from me on this thread (......and possibly ever, to be honest). All I've tried to do with my posts throughout this thread was to reply from a Scottish point of view. I still say, as I did earlier that Scotland can be proud of their performance in the QF, and I think there can be genuine optimism for the future, with the likes of Russell, Bennett, Hogg and the Gray bros, to name but a few. At no point have I criticised Joubert for his refereeing of the game, I've only been trying to express my frustration at the way the game was decided...........as I'm sure you guys would have done had the roles been reversed.

One final comment though, regarding the alleged bottle throwing, apparently the reports of this have come from the AU and NZ press. I've not found any reports from the UK about it. Some of you will say "no surprises there", but if any of you have lived in the UK, you'll know that English based media would take great delight in being able to report a story of a Scottish rugby "fan" throwing a bottle at a referee. And from my point of view, I also think it's poor the way World Rugby have thrown Joubert under the bus.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Come on GIGS, we're not playing soccer here, respect the man in the middle regardless of how good or bad his decisions are.

I think it is also an disgrace that World Rugby have come out and said that he made the wrong call. Perhaps they could have said "we need to review the laws and process of being able to utilise the TMO in critical decisions to ensure the best outcome can be achieved in critical situations", they certainly should not have thrown him under the bus (no Savea pun intended).
    For sure, incredibly unprofessional to do that to an employee. Especially on an international stage.

vCash
    World Rugby have pushed Joubert under the bus which is disgraceful.

Are they going come out and point out every wrong decision by an official in the World Cup? They've done it to appease the horde of whinging Scots. But lets face it Scotland were only in the game because of Australian mistakes.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Jeez i can't help but feel sorry for the Scots.They put up a great fight for the whole game. Everyone seems to be yarping on about the last penalty and as any ref worth their weight would tell you, you call it as you see it right there in the moment of the game. I certainly haven't heard to many Scottish supporters stand up and say the wallabies were hard done by for the supposed knock on by Will Genia leading up to AAC"s try being disallowed, or the picking the ball up from the side of the ruck try for the Scots in the first half. And yes Scozzie you have a shitload to look forward to with those lads they have some serious potential.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    World Rugby have pushed Joubert under the bus which is disgraceful.

Are they going come out and point out every wrong decision by an official in the World Cup? They've done it to appease the horde of whinging Scots. But lets face it Scotland were only in the game because of Australian mistakes.
    What horde of whinging scots....?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    To be honest, I don't get what the fuss is about. I thought the law is pretty clear:

11.3 BEING PUT ONSIDE BY OPPONENTS
    In general play, there are three ways by which an offside player can be put onside by an action of the opposing team. These three ways do not apply to a player who is offside under the 10-Metre Law.
    (a) Runs 5 metres with ball. When an opponent carrying the ball runs 5 metres, the offside player is put onside.
    (b) Kicks or passes. When an opponent kicks or passes the ball, the offside player is put onside.
    (c) Intentionally touches ball. When an opponent intentionally touches the ball but does not catch it, the offside player is put onside.

The first two obviously don't apply. For mine, nor does the third...it doesn't say intentionally tries to touch the ball but misses, otherwise there wouldn't be penalty tries for players that are tackled as they intentionally reach for the ball but haven't got there yet. The ball certainly smacks off Phipps, but I couldn't see how anyone would think he touched it intentionally.

As an aside regarding reports of thrown bottles...
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rug...World-Cup.html
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/r...-a6699936.html
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rug...el-Cheika.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    To be honest, I don't get what the fuss is about. I thought the law is pretty clear:

11.3 BEING PUT ONSIDE BY OPPONENTS
    In general play, there are three ways by which an offside player can be put onside by an action of the opposing team. These three ways do not apply to a player who is offside under the 10-Metre Law.
    (a) Runs 5 metres with ball. When an opponent carrying the ball runs 5 metres, the offside player is put onside.
    (b) Kicks or passes. When an opponent kicks or passes the ball, the offside player is put onside.
    (c) Intentionally touches ball. When an opponent intentionally touches the ball but does not catch it, the offside player is put onside.

The first two obviously don't apply. For mine, nor does the third...it doesn't say intentionally tries to touch the ball but misses, otherwise there wouldn't be penalty tries for players that are tackled as they intentionally reach for the ball but haven't got there yet. The ball certainly smacks off Phipps, but I couldn't see how anyone would think he touched it intentionally.

As an aside regarding reports of thrown bottles...
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rug...World-Cup.html
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/r...-a6699936.html
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rug...el-Cheika.html
    To quote GIGS20, FFS when will people just get over it....!! The game's over, the Wallabies march on to the Semis and Scotland are left to look towards the Six Nations...! It seems like all the arguing about the final penalty call in this thread have come from Wallabies supporters.

vCash
    Part of the World Rugby statement says "On review of all available angles, it is clear that after the knock-on, the ball was touched by Australia's Nick Phipps and Law 11.3(c) states that a player can be put on-side by an opponent who intentionally plays the ball."

If Joubert had the luxury of being in more than one place at any one time, then maybe he would have ruled differently. Sadly he could only be in the place he was at the time. He has been well & truly thrown under the bus by the sport's governing body.

My first thought, in real time with no slo-mo or any other type of replay, was that it was a penalty for offside. Just like the ruling milliseconds after I thought it.

On the other hand, I thought the yellow card earlier in the match was a complete joke. It should have been a penalty but nothing more. Perhaps there is a protocol that, if a TMO call comes in, there MUST be a yellow card. I haven't checked, but I think not. Maybe Joubert felt the TMO had painted him (Joubert) into a corner and he had no option; dunno.

In any case, I enjoyed the game. I thought Scotland's front row had Joubert fooled very nicely, so good on them. The game is over. As Michael Cheika has been reported as saying “​One thing I will say is this, once the game’s done and dusted I’m as good as gold with anyone​

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post

On the other hand, I thought the yellow card earlier in the match was a complete joke. It should have been a penalty but nothing more. Perhaps there is a protocol that, if a TMO call comes in, there MUST be a yellow card. I haven't checked, but I think not. Maybe Joubert felt the TMO had painted him (Joubert) into a corner

While not wanting to prolong the debate - Ecky; surely Maitland either was guilty of a cynical deliberate knock down or he was trying to intercept. The former is either a penalty or penalty try plus YC? The latter scrum feed to Australia. Don't see how it can be both.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Mate just sent me an interesting spin on the Scottish result

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/spor...ma-q16371.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Calzy View Post
    What horde of whinging scots....?
    The ones who are writing all those articles in the English tabloids. They're all Scots right?

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scozzie View Post
    Final post from me on this thread (......and possibly ever, to be honest). All I've tried to do with my posts throughout this thread was to reply from a Scottish point of view. I still say, as I did earlier that Scotland can be proud of their performance in the QF, and I think there can be genuine optimism for the future
    Sorry to hear that Scozzie, I hope my posts on this matter haven't contributed to this decision, because I think our opinions are closer together on this one than they seem.

I'm getting frustrated by the attention that has been given to a single call in a match which wasn't a flawless performance by the ref and the way that attention is detracting from a great performance by both teams resulting in a match which had me (at least) on the edge of my seat for two hours.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SinBin View Post
    Mate just sent me an interesting spin on the Scottish result

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/spor...ma-q16371.html
    World Rugby should apologise to Samoa, and Japan while they're at it.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast