Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Australia vs Scotland - RWC Quarter Final

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Sure he was going for the million to one intercept knowing that it would be a knock on if he didn't catch it, but he didnt deliberately knock it down IMHO.
    So you're saying he deliberately knocked the ball on in an effort to stop the other side scoring knowing full well he wouldn't be able to catch it?
    Sounds like a yellow card to me.
    It's happened enough in Force games.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralto View Post
    I can't get this one - it was pretty much overlap - there was no attempt at an interception - it was cynical, negative, and I gave him a very big boo - Joubert gave him a yellow - what's wrong wi' that.
    There should have been benefit of the doubt there IMO. Cynical play needs to show very clear and deliberate slap down. The thing that pissed me off most though, was that Joubert initially seemed to think that was what he saw. He let the TMO, without being asked for an opinion, make a wrong, IMO, decision instead.

Considering why it was initially introduced, I think the law needs a review, any way. At the heart of every Rugby match is the contest for the ball. It's the very essence of the game and the thing that sets it on a higher plane, IMO anyway, to the other sports that have spun off it and changed that core element. In those many contests, I don't see a hell of a lot of difference between what Maitland did on a chancy pass and someone charging down a chip kick when a try is on. You're supposed to stop them scoring, aren't you?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    So you're saying he deliberately knocked the ball on in an effort to stop the other side scoring knowing full well he wouldn't be able to catch it?
    Sounds like a yellow card to me.
    It's happened enough in Force games.
    No, I'm saying he was attempting a very difficult intercept because it was his only option to save the try. The only other play available was to do it the French way.

C'mon the

vCash
    Now reporting that Joubert "officially" made a mistake in awarding the penalty and not a scrum.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/ru...19-gkd4vd.html

A review committee has found South African referee Craig Joubert should not have awarded the last minute penalty that secured Australia victory over Scotland in their World Cup quarter-final on the weekend.

Nothing about going to the TMO though.

Non sunt multiplicanda entia sine necessitate

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbasimplex View Post
    ...Nothing about going to the TMO though.
    nup. They made it absolutely clear he had no option to go to the TMO.

It is important to clarify that, under the protocols, the referee could not refer to the television match official in this case and therefore had to rely on what he saw in real time. In this case, Law 11.3(c) should have been applied, putting Welsh onside. The appropriate decision, therefore, should have been a scrum to Australia for the original knock-on.
    That said, they have thrown Joubert under the bus.

Why review THAT decision? What about the many other decisions that also greatly effected the outcome of match, and specifically the other offside penalty after ACCs kick which was deemed NOT deliberate but clearly was by the very same rules they are using above, resulting in an AUS scrum from which Foley then chip kicked inside 22 resulting in charge down SCOT try

you couldn't make this shit up

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Missed that. Well that puts that to bed then. I guess Scotland can only feel aggrieved about the non-penalty and not the TMO review. If they scored a few more more tries it might've helped their cause

Agreed they have washed their hands and thrown Joubert onto the pyre. seems very unfair for him. tough gig being a ref.

Last edited by Herbasimplex; 20-10-15 at 07:27.
    Non sunt multiplicanda entia sine necessitate

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    nup. They made it absolutely clear he had no option to go to the TMO.

That said, they have thrown Joubert under the bus.

Why review THAT decision? What about the many other decisions that also greatly effected the outcome of match, and specifically the other offside penalty after ACCs kick which was deemed NOT deliberate but clearly was by the very same rules they are using above, resulting in an AUS scrum from which Foley then chip kicked inside 22 resulting in charge down SCOT try

you couldn't make this shit up
    Surely you've got to look at the decision in the context of the game though. Had he not awarded the penalty when he did, i.e. Virtually the last play of the game, then the result would probably have been different. Sure you could look at it hypothetically and say the Wallabies might have won the resulting scrum against the head and gone on to score a try, but we'll never know about that one either.

I think Jouberts reaction straight after the whistle says a lot about his reaction to his final call of the match...? But agreed, not easy being a ref..!

Apprentice
    vCash
    11.1 Offside in general play

(a) A player who is in an offside position is liable to sanction only if the player does one of three things

Interferes with play or,
    Moves forward, towards the ball or
    Fails to comply with the 10-Metre Law (Law 11.4)

Welsh moves towards the ball penalty should stand

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbasimplex View Post
    Missed that. Well that puts that to bed then. I guess Scotland can only feel aggrieved about the non-penalty and not the TMO review. If they scored a few more more tries it might've helped their cause

Agreed they have washed their hands and thrown Joubert onto the pyre. seems very unfair for him. tough gig being a ref.
    Totally agree who would be a bloody ref' specially when your governing body throws you under the bus.. Disgusting in my view.. he saw what he saw in REAL time..all the conspiracy theories are just a load of *ol*oc*s... Has the hooligan who threw the bottle at Craig been banned for life?? Has even been charged.. this is Rugby for goodness sake.. !!

vCash
    Must have been a Bulldogs supporter at the Rugby.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scozzie View Post
    I think Jouberts reaction straight after the whistle says a lot about his reaction to his final call of the match...? But agreed, not easy being a ref..!
    I think it says more about the moron in the crowd who threw a bottle at him.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    I think it says more about the moron in the crowd who threw a bottle at him.
    Haven't read that report or seen the footage, but definitely no place for that sort of thing...! It shouldn't have stopped him from shaking hands with the players in the tunnel though.......unless of course that's another story I've not read..?

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Haven't read that report or seen the footage, but definitely no place for that sort of thing...! It shouldn't have stopped him from shaking hands with the players in the tunnel though.......unless of course that's another story I've not read..?
    I read that was Joubert not wanting to have a confrontation on the field with the players.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Surely you've got to look at the decision in the context of the game though.
    OK, let's look at it in the context of the game, Scotland were hard under pressure with the Wallabies desperate to keep the ball in their possession and make ground until they got the points. Joubert had stoically refused to blow any penalties in the last couple of minutes of the match (shit, I wonder why that might be the case) and eventually does give a penalty only to be crucified in the media and possibly lose his career for awarding a penalty to a home nation.

FFS when will people just get over it! there were bad calls both ways, you can't say that Joubert was favouring the Wallabies, but I can't say he was favouring the Scots (Sean Maitland) so call it even and move on!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    FFS when will people just get over it! there were bad calls both ways, you can't say that Joubert was favouring the Wallabies, but I can't say he was favouring the Scots (Sean Maitland) so call it even and move on!
    Actually, I though Joubert had a pretty good game, overall. When two sides are playing with that intensity and speed the game could have descended into lots of niggles; I thought Joubert let the game flow as well as he could and played advantage pretty well. The Maitland yellow card was instigated by the TMO (I'm not sure what the rules are once the TMO has got involved; does Joubert have to take the TMO's advice?) and the Scots won quite a few scrum penalties which could (and perhaps should) have gone the other way, but that's good scrimmaging if you can fool the ref and win the penalty. Joubert certainly isn't the worst ref when it comes to scrums.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast