Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: JOC leaves the Reds

Champion
    vCash

JOC leaves the Reds

James O’Connor released from St.George Queensland Reds due to personal welfare reasons

The Queensland Rugby Union (QRU) has made the decision to release St.George Queensland Reds winger James O’Connor from his contract, effective immediately.

O’Connor joined the Reds on a two-year deal ahead of the 2015 season, but due to a number of personal matters, which the QRU, Australian Rugby Union (ARU) and the Rugby Union Players’ Association (RUPA) have been aware of since May, the QRU has agreed to release him from his second year.

QRU CEO Jim Carmichael said: “James has experienced a difficult time personally since returning to Australia and we’ve been aware of that for some time. It is disappointing that James was not able to reach his full potential while he was with us but after a great deal of thought, we believe it is in his and the Reds’ best interests that we exercise our release clause in his contract. Therefore, James will return to Europe where he feels the spotlight on him is less intense. In our discussions, we’ve agreed that should James return to Australia to play rugby in the future, the Reds will have the first and last rights to secure his services.”

James O’Connor said: “I came to the Reds with the intention of playing my best football in my home state and looking for a fresh start but I’ve struggled with some personal matters. The Reds are a wonderful team and organisation and I’m very disappointed I wasn’t able to achieve my full potential for my home state. I wish the Reds all the best for 2016 and beyond.”

RUPA CEO Ross Xenos said: “James’ willingness to be proactive and speak to the Reds and RUPA regarding matters that too often are supressed until it is too late are testament to his development and maturing. James is a player of enormous talent and we all hope he will benefit from time and space out of the spotlight to return to Australian Rugby in the future. In releasing James, the Reds have clearly shown their commitment to the welfare of their people and credit to them for their leadership and understanding.”

Due to the personal nature of these matters there will be no further comment at this time from QRU or the player.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Sounds like Bridgette broke his heart and he can no longer bear to hear the team song anymore

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    just saw the twitter announcement ... I LOL'd

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Utterly astonished....not.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I guess the complete demolition of a brand could be termed a personal problem

C'mon the

vCash
    JAMES O’Connor attacked former Wallaby Greg Martin recently, but “Marto” was asked by people behind the scenes at the Queensland Reds to please refrain from biting back.

But on Tuesday, the Reds released O’Connor. So today, Martin unleashed.

“James, you’re about to cop it,” Martin began in an extraordinary spray on Triple M’s Marto and Ed Kavalee for Breakfast.

“He’s an immature little twat.”

Martin spoke about how O’Connor used to mess about with his other “amigos”, Kurtley Beale and Quade Cooper, but the latter two grew out of it and are now contributing members of the Wallaby set up.

“Anyone can mature, that showed me — apart from the Justin Bieber of Australian rugby, James O’Connor,” Martin said.
    “The Justin Bieber of Australian rugby.”

“He’s still only 25. This could be the greatest waste of Australian rugby talent. He’s played 44 Tests for Australia at the age of 25, hasn’t played in the last few years because of his bad attitude, a guy that just hasn’t matured and now they’re going ‘personal issues’.

“I’ll tell you what the personal issues are: he came back to Australia from France just saying, ‘Oh, I’ll make the Wallabies.’

“He didn’t make the Wallabies and, now he’s gone to the Reds despite owing them another year on his contract, he’s gone, ‘Stuff you I’ll go back to the fairytale land of French rugby and make plenty of money.’

“Get stuffed!

“[The Reds] certainly don’t need him. Can you imagine the Reds? They will be so happy. Remember that game this year when he came of the field arguing with the great All Black Adam Thomson, his teammate, at halftime?

“That picture should have said it all: a little young punk with one of the greats of the modern game Adam Thomson having an argument on the field in front of the world as they went into the tunnel. That says it all. Who does he think he is?

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/g...-1227568491045

vCash
    Two things
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    “He’s an immature little twat.”
    1 I've never agreed with Greg Martin in any way, he's an absolute wanker, so there must be a problem with this statement, because it sure SOUNDS accurate.

“That picture should have said it all: a little young punk with one of the greats of the modern game Adam Thomson having an argument on the field in front of the world as they went into the tunnel. That says it all. Who does he think he is?
    Calling Adam Thompson 'a great of the modern game' is a pretty bloody long bow when he has consistently failed to cement a starting spot in his national team his entire career. That tells me he wasn't even the unarguably best number 6 in New Zealand in any particular year.....are second and third string All Blacks legends now?

C'mon the

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Two things

1 I've never agreed with Greg Martin in any way, he's an absolute wanker, so there must be a problem with this statement, because it sure SOUNDS accurate.

Calling Adam Thompson 'a great of the modern game' is a pretty bloody long bow when he has consistently failed to cement a starting spot in his national team his entire career. That tells me he wasn't even the unarguably best number 6 in New Zealand in any particular year.....are second and third string All Blacks legends now?
    To be fair if they played for Australia they probably would be. Similar to the generation of Australian cricketers in the late 90's - early 00's that never got a shot at the national team but would be walk up starts in any other country

vCash
    Sad to see this reach its inevitable conclusion.

A young lad oozing talent that he just could not appreciate, nor see how hard others had to graft just to be half as good as him.

It appears that a hard task master like John Mitchell was the only one that seemed to have some semblance of control over him, cannot see how lying back in the sun and doing backflips into a pool in the South of France is going to get him straight.

Good luck to him, another sportsman that will never fore fill his true potential and use the gift given to him.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    So it was the welfare of the Reds, not James.

As Marty said an absolute waste of talent. Wondering what way he "attacked" Marto as well?

You can bet in all media circles it will be Rabbit Season, should be an interesting Rugby HQ this week

Good riddance.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    “I’ll tell you what the personal issues are: he came back to Australia from France just saying, ‘Oh, I’ll make the Wallabies.’

“He didn’t make the Wallabies and, now he’s gone to the Reds despite owing them another year on his contract, he’s gone, ‘Stuff you I’ll go back to the fairytale land of French rugby and make plenty of money.’
    I think Marto has hit the nail on the head with this part.

I wonder if the Graham reappointment had anything to do with this or whether it's just JO'C being a pea heart?

Anyone want to take a bet on him coming back to Australia in 2018 or 2019?

Last edited by jargan83; 14-10-15 at 13:15.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    took him long enough to figure it out - but I think the future rugby gossip columns are going to be fun reading

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Player
    vCash
    He attacked Greg Martin over a cockup in the 3rd game, I think, of the British Lions Tour in 89. Martin dropped the pass on his tryline but it was Campese who started it by trying to run the ball out of trouble. Not the 1st time for Campese.
    Greg Martin still the worst commentator though.

vCash
    Heard an interesting comment on radio today. From a bloke who coached him for 3 years in the junior Mungos. Claimed 99% of JOC's attitude problem is down to his father's influence. When you think back to who pulled the strings during the "Rugby Brand" negotiations, that rings true.

Still; about time he realised that and became his own man.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    A lot of what he did at the Force was due to the support he had in WA. The players had a family who looked after them, he lost that support and his way when he left WA

Laugh and the world laughs with you.......
    ......cry and you'll weaken your beer

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast