Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: RWC2015 Australia v Wales Sat 10/10 11.45PM

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

RWC2015 Australia v Wales Sat 10/10 11.45PM

Sean McMahon has been called into the Wallabies starting XV to replace the suspended Michael Hooper.

Wallabies Rookie of the Year Sean McMahon will replace Michael Hooper in Australia’s side to take on Wales at Twickenham on Saturday (11:45pm Sunday WST), in one of three changes to the Wallabies’ starting line-up that faced England.

The Wallabies have been forced into two changes with Rob Horne (shoulder) and Michael Hooper (suspension) ruled out for the match which will determine the winner of Pool A.

McMahon slots straight into the seven jumper, the 21-year-old's second run-on selection for the tournament, with David Pocock remaining at number eight to make his fourth start at the back of the scrum. Pocock will also share the vice-captaincy with Adam Ashley-Cooper.

66-Test veteran Drew Mitchell comes onto the wing for Horne, after a two-try performance against Uruguay earlier in the tournament made him the third-highest try scorer in Rugby World Cup history.

Dean Mumm has also been included in the Wallabies run-on team for the second time at Rugby World Cup 2015, pairing up with Kane Douglas at lock with Rob Simmons moving to the bench.
    Fullback Israel Folau has overcome an ankle injury to take his place in the side, continuing his good run with the Wallabies having not missed a Test through injury since his 2013 debut against the British & Irish Lions.

Scott Sio is the only player to start in every Test for the Wallabies so far in the tournament, remaining at loosehead prop for the pivotal match.

Wallabies Head Coach Michael Cheika said the team's focus remains firmly on the task at hand.

"Every match in this tournament has required our team to step up to another level and we'll need to do that again against an undefeated Welsh team.

"Every player in our squad knows the improvements required, and we still have two days to continue to make them, both individually and as a team.

"Saturday night at Twickenham is another opportunity for us to put in a solid performance and continue to build towards the next stage of the tournament."

Australia’s final pool match will be screened LIVE in Australia on FOX SPORTS 502 from 2:20am AEDT and GEM from 2:30am AEDT on Sunday.

Rugby World Cup Match 35: Wallabies starting XV to play Wales at Twickenham, London
    Saturday October 10 4:45pm local time (Sunday 2:45am AEDT)

1. Scott Sio (13 Tests)
    2. Stephen Moore - c (98 Tests)
    3. Sekope Kepu (59 Tests)
    4. Kane Douglas (19 Tests)
    5. Dean Mumm (40 Tests)
    6. Scott Fardy (26 Tests)
    7. Sean McMahon (5 Tests)
    8. David Pocock - vc (52 Tests)
    9. Will Genia (62 Tests)
    10. Bernard Foley (23 Tests)
    11. Drew Mitchell (66 Tests)
    12. Matt Giteau (98 Tests)
    13. Tevita Kuridrani (27 Tests)
    14. Adam Ashley-Cooper - vc (110 Tests)
    15. Israel Folau (35 Tests)

Reserves

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau (57 Tests)
    17. James Slipper (70 Tests)
    18. Greg Holmes (20 Tests)
    19. Rob Simmons (56 Tests)
    20. Ben McCalman (43 Tests)
    21. Nick Phipps (35 Tests)
    22. Matt Toomua (28 Tests)
    23. Kurtley Beale (56 Tests)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I would've been tempted to put Pocock at 7, Benny Mac at 8 and McMahon on the bench.

But what do I know?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    I would've been tempted to put Pocock at 7, Benny Mac at 8 and McMahon on the bench.

But what do I know?
    Agreed!
    Tell Ben to go BESERK for 40mins, then shift Pocock to 8 and McMahon on to 7.

vCash
    I'm a bit confused/bemused.
    The best No 7 in Australia is playing at No 8.
    A young dynamic player who does not play No 7 for his SXV team gets selected at OSF.
    McMahon didn't earn a Turnover against Uruguay - McCalman earned 2.
    In SXV 2015 McMahon earns a TOW about every 3rd match.
    The best Lineout caller in Australia is on the bench.
    Douglas didn't win a single Lineout against England.
    Hooper had 2LOW against England. McMahon wasn't used in Lineouts against Uruguay. McCalman had 2LOW.
    Back Row should have been Fardy, Pocock, McCalman with McMahon off the bench.
    Have to feel for Hodgo who didn't miss a beat when he cam on with Hooper in the EOY Tests last year but was rarely given a chance to play as Pocock has been used despite his reliable Lineout performances for WF.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    McMahon runs and that's why he's in the starting side.
    He will be told to get the ball and head for the try line, running over anyone that gets in his way.
    Big Dog is a utility player. He can play 8, 6 or at a pinch 4. He jumps in the lineout, steals the ball in the break down and can, when pushed, run the ball. He's perfect on the bench not just as an impact player but as coverage for injury in any position in the scrum bar the front row.

Some people seem to think that your best players are in the starting side and your second string on the bench. Chieka doesn't seem to use his bench like that.
    Having said that, if big dog doesn't get at least 30 mins on the field I'll be pissed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    and can, when pushed, run the ball.
    That's pretty harsh, He's one of the most reliable Advantage Line beaters in the squad, he just doesn't have the speed of McMahon when put into the gap.

I think McMahon is there more because his game matches Hooper's more closely, plays a bit wider, big tackler, runs into space. Big Dog is on the bench as a Mr Fix-It if that doesn't pan out and the aggression to cover the last 30 minutes with impact.

I'm disappointed, but not looking for tall buildings to jump off.

C'mon the

vCash
    Least disruption to the game plan I assume we’ll be using for the rest of the tournament so I'm fine with it.

vCash
    The only RWC Test comparison that we have between these two players is from the Uruguay match.

McMahon and McCalman were the leaders in Ruck involvements.

Rucks - McMahon 27T/21A/6D - Early 93%/Impact 81%.
    McCalman 26T/19A/7D - Early 85%/Impact 73%.
    Turnovers - McCalman 2TOW; McMahon 0TOW.
    Tackles - McMahon 13/1, McCalman 8/0
    Carries - McMahon 10 for 67m, McCalman 10 for 61m.

As you can see there's not a lot in it but McMahon wasn't the barnstorming runner that some believe he is.
    For me against Wales, I'd play the guy who has 43 Tests experience, has shown that he can match the Welsh big guys, gets TOW and gives another option at the Line Out. Clearly that's McCalman.

I also want my best guys on the field for as much of the 80 minutes as possible - NOT saving them for when the game may be getting lost or already lost.
    I'm a bit tired of teams who give the opposition a good lead by half time and then have a strategy of fight back and getting over the line 5 minutes before the final hooter!

But I'm not the coach and Cheika doesn't need my approval.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by andrewg; 09-10-15 at 14:19.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    I also want my best guys on the field for as much of the 80 minutes as possible - NOT saving them for when the game may be getting lost or already lost.
    I'm a bit tired of teams who give the opposition a good lead by half time and then have a strategy of fight back and getting over the line 5 minutes before the final hooter!

But I'm not the coach and Cheika doesn't need my approval.
    Exactly and his bench strategy seems to have been pretty sound this year.

vCash
    Carries - McMahon 10 for 67m, McCalman 10 for 61m.
    From memory, McMahon made some big breaks (>10 m) and other times made no advantage; McCalman made yardage consistently, but not big chunks (in fact, I'm surprised it's as high as 61 m).

Both regularly get over the advantage line, but McMahon has the upside of more often shifting momentum with a huge run, at the downside of a reduced ability to win turnovers. Against Wales, either could make a difference, and until the game plays out we won't know which was more important. As you said:
    I'm not the coach and Cheika doesn't need my approval.
    Despite being a (ex-)Tahs coach, I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as he sees the boys training every day and seems to have made the right decisions more often than not recently.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    We must watch our discipline or Biggar will crucify us..
    Another sleep deprived weekend..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    Least disruption to the game plan I assume we’ll be using for the rest of the tournament so I'm fine with it.
    You can bet on it. Lots, including myself, were sceptical about Bam and Hooper both starting. But but Cheika had a strategy and it's humming along beautifully so far. McMahon will have been continually drilling the same combination. He's a player with a helluva lot of upside and he'll get it done on Saturday. I'm very much a Benny Mc fan but the best balance ATM is him off the bench.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I've got millions of dollars to spend. Will Mr. Guptahouse wipe the curry off his chin and put up a market on the game?

vCash
    That's not curry.

vCash
    Then I don't want to know...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast