Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: James Slipper named 83rd Captain of the Wallabies for historic USA Test

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

James Slipper named 83rd Captain of the Wallabies for historic USA Test

9/3/2015

James Slipper will become the 83rd player to Captain the Wallabies in a Test match in Saturday’s historic clash with the USA Eagles at Soldier Field, Chicago.

Debuting for the Wallabies in 2010, Slipper will lead his country in his 68th Test, making the 26-year old the first prop to Captain the Wallabies since part-time front rower John Thornett, MBE during the 1966–67 Tour of Britain, Ireland and France.

Slipper will take over the reins from Stephen Moore who has been rested alongside several Wallabies players including Vice-Captains Michael Hooper and Adam Ashley-Cooper.

“I am extremely humbled to be given this opportunity to Captain the team on Saturday night at Soldier Field. There is no greater honour for a player than to lead his country and I am excited to be able to do it with this incredible group of players,” said Slipper.

“Stephen (Moore) has done a fantastic job in bringing this group together, and I will do my best to honour him and my country when we take on the Eagles, who were very impressive against Harlequins over the weekend.

“We’ve always looked at things this season as a collective, with players being able to step up at different stages. That also applies to leadership, and we have a lot of solid leaders in the squad, which is essential in a year like this one.

“This Saturday is a really important match for us as a group, especially with a couple of boys making their debuts. We want to put in a performance that shows how hard we’ve been working over the past few months before we head over to the UK.”

Ben McCalman will step into a leadership role with the Wallabies for the first time, named Vice-Captain in the number six jersey along with 95-Test veteran Matt Giteau who will start at inside centre.

Both players are returning to the starting line-up against USA alongside Joe Tomane, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Kurtley Beale, Kane Douglas and Sean McMahon who are each starting their first Test match of the 2015 international season.

Wallabies Head Coach Michael Chieka said: “James led well at Queensland this season, and is an important leader in our squad. This Test match against the USA will give him the honour of captaining his country and the opportunity to lead from the front.”

“We are working hard to develop our leaders and James along with Matt Giteau and Ben McCalman, who lead by example both on and off the field, will make up a strong leadership team.

Not only will the USA Eagles fixture be the first between both nations on US soil in almost 40 years, it will also potentially be the first Test match for Melbourne Rebels prop Toby Smith and NSW Waratahs winger Taqele Naiyaravoro, after both were named on the reserves bench.

“Toby is an extremely humble guy, and a very popular member of the group,” said Cheika.

“He’s been training exceptionally well throughout our 2015 international campaign, and that along with his form during Super Rugby has earned him the right to become a Wallaby.”

“Taqele is another player who has shown some good form in Super Rugby this season and has great potential. We’ve been watching with great interest during his World XV and Barbarians matches.

“Both players are desperate to represent Australia and we are looking forward to seeing them take their opportunity in Chicago.”

The Wallabies will return to camp in South Bend at the University of Notre Dame following the Chicago Test, before departing for their third and final camp in Bath in England before beginning their quest to become world champions.

Qantas Wallabies team to play USA Eagles at Soldier Field, Chicago
    6.40pm Saturday 5 September local time (9.40am Sunday 6 September AEST)

1. James Slipper - C - (67 Tests)
    2. Tatafu Polota-Nau (53 Tests)
    3. Greg Holmes (17 Tests)
    4. Kane Douglas (15 Tests)
    5. Rob Simmons (52 Tests)
    6. Ben McCalman - VC - (40 Tests)
    7. Sean McMahon (3 Tests)
    8. Wycliff Palu (55 Tests)
    9. Nick Phipps (31 Tests)
    10. Bernard Foley (17 Tests)
    11. Rob Horne (26 Tests)
    12. Matt Giteau - VC - (95 Tests)
    13. Henry Speight (3 Tests)
    14. Joe Tomane (15 Tests)
    15. Kurtley Beale (52 Tests)
    16. James Hanson (9 Tests)
    17. Scott Sio (9 Tests)
    18. Toby Smith (uncapped)
    19. Dean Mumm (36 Tests)
    20. Sam Carter (11 Tests)
    21. Quade Cooper (56 Tests)
    22. Will Genia (59 Tests)
    23. Taqele Naiyaravoro (Uncapped)

http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsArt...-USA-Test.aspx

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Wallabies prepare for US battle at Soldier Field

AFP
    September 4, 2015, 10:30 am

Chicago (AFP) - Australia step up their Rugby World Cup preparations against the United States at Soldier Field on Saturday in their first international on American soil in nearly 40 years.

Australia coach Michael Cheika is using the occasion to run the rule over his squad depth, with several first choice players rested from the starting XV that will line-up against the Americans.

The Wallabies will be captained by prop James Slipper, deputising for regular captain Stephen Moore who is being rested alongside senior players such as Michael Hooper and Adam Ashley-Cooper.

The Australian starting XV also includes a call-up for veteran center Matt Giteau, a survivor of Australia's 2003 and 2007 World Cup campaigns.

The 32-year-old Toulon star has been welcomed back into the fold after Australia tweaked their selection rules regarding overseas players.

Cheika has also handed a starting berth to fullback Kurtley Beale for the first time this season, offering the 26-year-old a chance to force his way into the reckoning for the World Cup.

Beale is one of seven Wallabies who lined up for Australia in their last meeting against the United States at the 2011 World Cup in New Zealand, when they eventually ran out 67-5 winners.

Slipper however is wary of the physical threat posed by the Americans, who were beaten 74-6 by New Zealand in a friendly at Soldier Field last year.

"They are going to be pretty pumped for this game," Slipper told Australian media from the Wallabies training camp at Notre Dame University this week.

"I am expecting a very, very physical and quick open to the game."

Two-time World Cup winners Australia face a challenging first round draw in England, where their opponents include hosts England and Wales in what has been dubbed the "Group of Death."

The USA meanwhile have been building steadily towards the World Cup, where they face South Africa, Samoa, Japan and Scotland in Pool B.

- Eagles not intimidated -

The Americans, who have never qualified from the pool stage of a World Cup, suffered a 24-19 defeat to English side Harlequins in a friendly last weekend but US coach Mike Tolkin insists his team won't be intimidated by this Saturday's assignment.

"To play at this level and get ready to walk into a World Cup you can't be intimidated," Tolkin told reporters this week after naming the USA's 31-man World Cup squad.

"Our guys won't be, with all due respect to the Wallabies."

Tolkin also believes his team is better prepared than at the same stage last year heading into the match against the All Blacks. "We've had a full summer under our belt and it's the launch for our World Cup campaign. We feel we're going to be in a better position."

The Americans will be captained by Saracens veteran Chris Wyles, who was named this week as skipper for the World Cup in what will be his third tournament.

The Eagles are also likely to hand a start to number eight Samu Manoa, the big-hitting California-born forward of Tongan descent who is expected to be one of the linchpins of the American pack.

Manoa, who was unavailable for the 2011 World Cup because of club commitments, has starred for English side Northampton for the past four seasons but has now been signed by Toulon.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...soldier-field/

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    The Eagles are also likely to hand a start to number eight Samu Manoa, the big-hitting California-born forward of Tongan descent

and the Wallabies will answer with.......Cliff Palu, I hope we win the battle in other parts of the field

C'mon the

vCash
    IF we don't... maybe it would be better to pack up and come home???

vCash
    Reckon there might be a few NFL scouts having a squizz @ Folau? 4 code hops anyone?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Thankfully he's not in the squad for this one - we certainly don't need to lose him in the next couple of years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
    Thankfully he's not in the squad for this one - we certainly don't need to lose him in the next couple of years.
    Errr yep.

When Colin Scotts was scouted - he was Australian Schools captain at the time - they paid a bloke to follow their tour thru the UK to film his matches and even training sessions. And that was just for College Football at the time! So I think there's a chance Izzy will be on the radar too.

vCash
    I think Jarryd Hayne has made sure that we'll see some NFL scouts out here for the near future.

C'mon the

vCash
    It's been interesting watching Hayne's try-youts. The yanks seem amazed by some of the stuff we see all the time. Swapping ball-carry arms to put on a don't argue. Hitting a defender with hip and shoulder rather than running into touch etc. Apart from getting more run meters than any player from ANY of the franchises.

Thankfully, I don't think either code will lose too many established stars. Hayne is probably unique in that he's a long time fan and student of NFL who understands the intricacies. He forwent a million a year to take his shot at a long held goal.

The problem might be in losing higher numbers teenagers to college scholarships.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    well,there a a few players who have just played themselves out of a starting position in the world cup!

Champion
    vCash
    This could be embarrasing!! :-(

vCash
    Can anyone give a bit of a commentery as its not shown here in Bali and fox dont tell ya much

vCash
    AB's v USA 74-6
    'Nuf said!

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    The bench got things working at least!

vCash
    I thought the scrum looked pretty good, but that has to be couched in caution. The front row was part of a scrum which has been towelled up by a top level team and the entire back five haven't played much.....

Only winning by 30 and looking so disorganised and pedestrian is either
    A Cheika foxing in the leadup (which I would have to count as overconfidence)
    B Showing the entire world that our first team is streets ahead of our second team

C'mon the

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast