Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tom Sexton signs

Champion
    vCash

Tom Sexton signs

West says Sexton has signed from the Rebels. Robbie Abel gone.
    Also something about a new second row. Waiting for it online and will post

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Force sign Irish hooker from Rebels

Nick Taylor
    August 7, 2015, 10:18 am

Western Force have bolstered their front row by signing Irish hooker Tom Sexton from the Melbourne Rebels.

Victoria-born Sexton, who moved to Dublin when he was four, was brought back to Melbourne from Irish club Leinster in 2014 on a two-year deal.

He captained Ireland schoolboys and the Ireland Junior World Cup side and made his debut for Leinster four years ago, making eight appearances for the European Cup-winning club.

The 25-year-old missed the 2014 season after injuring his right anterior cruciate ligament in pre-season training and made five appearances off the bench last season.

The 104kg, 178cm hooker played in all Melbourne Rising’s National Rugby Championship matches last year.

He will replace Robbie Abel, who has not played Super Rugby since signing two years ago. Abel made six appearances for Perth Spirit but will play for Canberra Vikings this year.

Wallabies hooker Nathan Charles has been rested for the NRC.

Harry Scoble from the Future Force academy and Nedlands hooker Anaru Rangi join Force rake Heath Tessmann in the squad.

The Force are close to signing an experienced Australian second-rower after Sam Wykes left for Japanese club Red Sparks and South African Wilhelm Steenkamp was released from his contract. Coach Michael Foley currently has Adam Coleman, Steve Mafi, Ross Haylett-Petty and Rory Walton in the engine room of the scrum.

He is also looking for a winger. Nick Cummins has rejoined Red Sparks and Mitchell Scott has returned to New Zealand, where he is playing for Tasman in the ITM Cup.

Scott made three appearances off the bench and scored one try against the Hurricanes in round three.

Prop Guy Millar, who is also playing in the ITM Cup for Southland, will return to the Force extended playing squad.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...r-from-rebels/

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Maybe Sharpie's gonna do a Victor!!!!

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

Senior Player
    vCash
    An experienced Australian second rower, who is out there?

- Timani
    - Pyle
    - Kimlin
    - Chisholm

Or anyone currently with another Aussie team, eg Simmons, Chapman, Carter, Jones etc

I think our starting pack is very solid with Mafi, Coleman, Cottrell, Hodgson and McCalman just no depth.

vCash
    So Mitch Scott has gone as well then :-(

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Handy View Post
    An experienced Australian second rower, who is out there?

- Timani
    - Pyle
    - Kimlin
    - Chisholm
    I'd be happy with Peter Kimlin (30yo, 1.98m, 114kg) or Mark Chisholm (33yo, 1.97m, 117kg) or both to replace Sam Wykes.

Would be good to get this type of experience back to Australia - where our Lock depth is so poor - and have their influence in WA Rugby.
    Would be a great move to free the rampaging Mafi to share the workload with Gus at No 6 and further develop Adam Coleman, RHP, Rory, Riley Winter and others.

With the current ARU's attitude to the return of past Wallabies this could be cost effective for the Force.
    Go for it Mark and Michael - seal the deal!

Like the Tom Sexton move as hopefully one of our 3 Hookers as he showed good promise before his knee injury.
    Steven Moore has come back very well from his recon.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by andrewg; 07-08-15 at 13:13.

Rookie
    vCash
    Sexton another lemon signing by the force!
    Shows the lack of respect for the local comp.
    The Nedlands hooker has and will be a threat in the finals and NRC!
    Why pick up a player that another franchise doesn't want when there is one who is shining here in the local club scene.
    If you havent seen this bloke play, do yourself a favour. Impact, impact impact!
    Why support the force when they do not support you or the local club scene!
    Laughable.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Whatsdoin View Post
    Why pick up a player that another franchise doesn't want when there is one who is shining here in the local club scene.
    If you havent seen this bloke play, do yourself a favour. Impact, impact impact!
    Laughable.
    OK, comments couched in the understanding that I haven't seen the Neddis bloke play, but Sexton DID look pretty handy at the higher level of Super Rugby, and HAS been signed as number three with an opportunity to push for the 23......It doesn't SOUND that stupid.....unless, of course, the Neddies boy is as good as you say he is and can transfer that form to the big show!

C'mon the

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Whatsdoin View Post
    Laughable.
    Club Rugby and NRC are not Super Level - many players look good at the lowers levels but never really make it higher up. I hope that the Neddies lad has a cracker in the NRC and gets his shot but there is a massive gap, not only in skill but in attitude, pressure, commitment and speed. If you look at Guy Millar as an example, he was a standout last years NRC, got his shot at SR level and was found wanting. Good scrummager but was lost around the park, missing tackles and just out of position. He will improve and catch up to the pace of the professional game.

BTW, how old is the Neddies guy? I do agree in getting the local talent up to the next level but many a club player has been given a shot in the academy (no shots at Nestor needed) and has just not been able to make the cut... for many reasons mind you.

Lets see how he goes at NRC and also that he takes his chance to shine. There are still spots in the EPS.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    He's not exactly "local" from what I'm told but another Nedlands import this year.
    How long is he going to be here until he gets a better offer.

vCash
    Well the new Lock isn't not Mark Chisholm as he's just signed a 2-year deal with Munster.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    Well the new Lock isn't not Mark Chisholm as he's just signed a 2-year deal with Munster.
    Is there a buy-out clause the ARU can activate?

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    I was thinking that. I was also thinking there could be no Wallabies caps or "former Wallaby" would have been trotted out. Id love Hugh Pyle. I was worried its more likely to be someone like Ben Hand. Might be Mitchell Chapman but he might stay at the Tahs and he has some Wallabies caps. He is at least a very good lineout operator. The other thought was that maybe Battye wants to come back.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I was thinking that. I was also thinking there could be no Wallabies caps or "former Wallaby" would have been trotted out. Id love Hugh Pyle. I was worried its more likely to be someone like Ben Hand. Might be Mitchell Chapman but he might stay at the Tahs and he has some Wallabies caps. He is at least a very good lineout operator. The other thought was that maybe Battye wants to come back.
    I wouldn't say that battye fit the bill as experienced in that context. Well not in my opinion anyway. We want some one who will help Ross and Adam to come through and keep developing.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beauregard View Post
    Club Rugby and NRC are not Super Level - many players look good at the lowers levels but never really make it higher up. I hope that the Neddies lad has a cracker in the NRC and gets his shot but there is a massive gap, not only in skill but in attitude, pressure, commitment and speed. If you look at Guy Millar as an example, he was a standout last years NRC, got his shot at SR level and was found wanting. Good scrummager but was lost around the park, missing tackles and just out of position. He will improve and catch up to the pace of the professional game.

BTW, how old is the Neddies guy? I do agree in getting the local talent up to the next level but many a club player has been given a shot in the academy (no shots at Nestor needed) and has just not been able to make the cut... for many reasons mind you.

Lets see how he goes at NRC and also that he takes his chance to shine. There are still spots in the EPS.
    Yep all fair comments.
    I believe this sexton tho is very poor in melborne club rugby as are quite a few force players when they front in our local comp.
    I agree wait for the NRC to see if they are good enough, thats what the competition is for I would've thought.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast