Thread: Palu and Giteau return to Wallabies fold for Rugby Championship decider

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Palu and Giteau return to Wallabies fold for Rugby Championship decider

7/31/2015

Qantas Wallabies Head Coach Michael Cheika has made three changes to the Wallabies squad that triumphed over Argentina. Matt Giteau, Wycliff Palu and the uncapped Toby Smith have come in to the 31-man squad announced today for next Saturday's clash with the All Blacks (August 8).

Giteau returns after a one-match layoff with injury while Palu returns to the squad after being rested for the past month.

The return of the experienced duo is timely as the Wallabies prepare for what is effectively a 2015 Rugby Championship 'Final', as the men in gold sit locked at the top of the standings with New Zealand on nine points ahead of the final match of the truncated series.

Melbourne Rebels prop Toby Smith is the other new face in the 31-man squad, earning his place after a consistent Super Rugby campaign. The 26-year-old enters the squad as the only non-capped player.

Qantas Wallabies Head Coach Micheal Cheika said: “We have been able to look at a few different combinations during the first two rounds of The Rugby Championship and the squad is starting to take shape.

“In additional to the 31 players, we’ll be bringing some injured and fringe players into camp to continue their rehabilitation and manage their return to play. It’s important that they remain connected and contribute to the group.

“Toby has had a solid season with the Rebels, and has been working really hard while the group has been away.

“Our intention was always to rest Wycliff prior to this camp, and he has come back in great shape and really eager to play.”

The 31-man squad will assemble in Coogee on Sunday evening, as Sydney prepares to host a four-day festival of sport and entertainment from August 5, as part of the annual Bledisloe Cup Festival. For more information, click here:http://www.rugby.com.au/wallabies/bledisloecupfestival

Tickets for The Rugby Championship decider at ANZ Stadium on Saturday, August 8, start from just $45 and are available at ticketek.com.au.

31-man Qantas Wallabies Squad
    Round Three of The Rugby Championship in Sydney on Saturday, 8 August
    Bledisloe Cup match one

Adam Ashley-Cooper - VC (Waratahs)
    Kurtley Beale (Waratahs)
    Quade Cooper (Reds)
    Scott Fardy (Brumbies)
    Israel Folau (Waratahs)
    Bernard Foley (Waratahs)
    Matt Giteau (Toulon)
    Greg Holmes (Reds)
    Michael Hooper - VC (Waratahs)
    James Horwill (Reds)
    Sekope Kepu (Waratahs)
    Tevita Kuridrani (Brumbies)
    Christian Lealiifano (Brumbies)
    Stephen Moore - C (Brumbies)
    Drew Mitchell (Toulon)
    Ben McCalman (Force)
    Sean McMahon (Rebels)
    Dean Mumm (Waratahs)
    Wycliff Palu (Waratahs)
    Nick Phipps (Waratahs)
    David Pocock (Brumbies)
    Tatafu Polota-Nau (Waratahs)
    Scott Sio (Brumbies)
    Rob Simmons (Reds)
    Will Skelton (Waratahs)
    James Slipper (Reds)
    Toby Smith* (Rebels)
    Henry Speight (Brumbies)
    Matt Toomua (Brumbies)
    Joe Tomane (Brumbies)
    Nic White (Brumbies)

http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsArt...p-decider.aspx

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Palu back again. You gotta be kidding me.

This can only mean that Poey and Hooper will start with palu on the bench, with the hard working Benny Mac again the one to miss out.

If this materialise I will be livid

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Palu has proven himself to be a lemonade sandwich against a team with real mongrel. Look for him to be less involved than Will Skelton

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Check a loves him, simple as that. Most games his work rate isn't up to Benny Mac's, so unless he plays to his best he will be a passenger for parts of the game - let's hope he is at his best, Australian rugby desperately needs the Wallabies to succeed.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    7/31/2015

Qantas Wallabies Head Coach Michael Cheika has made three changes to the Wallabies squad that triumphed over Argentina. Matt Giteau, Wycliff Palu and the uncapped Toby Smith have come in to the 31-man squad announced today for next Saturday's clash with the All Blacks (August 8).

Giteau returns after a one-match layoff with injury while Palu returns to the squad after being rested for the past month.

The return of the experienced duo is timely as the Wallabies prepare for what is effectively a 2015 Rugby Championship 'Final', as the men in gold sit locked at the top of the standings with New Zealand on nine points ahead of the final match of the truncated series.

Melbourne Rebels prop Toby Smith is the other new face in the 31-man squad, earning his place after a consistent Super Rugby campaign. The 26-year-old enters the squad as the only non-capped player.

Qantas Wallabies Head Coach Micheal Cheika said: “We have been able to look at a few different combinations during the first two rounds of The Rugby Championship and the squad is starting to take shape.

“In additional to the 31 players, we’ll be bringing some injured and fringe players into camp to continue their rehabilitation and manage their return to play. It’s important that they remain connected and contribute to the group.

“Toby has had a solid season with the Rebels, and has been working really hard while the group has been away.

“Our intention was always to rest Wycliff prior to this camp, and he has come back in great shape and really eager to play.”

The 31-man squad will assemble in Coogee on Sunday evening, as Sydney prepares to host a four-day festival of sport and entertainment from August 5, as part of the annual Bledisloe Cup Festival. For more information, click here:http://www.rugby.com.au/wallabies/bledisloecupfestival

Tickets for The Rugby Championship decider at ANZ Stadium on Saturday, August 8, start from just $45 and are available at ticketek.com.au.

31-man Qantas Wallabies Squad
    Round Three of The Rugby Championship in Sydney on Saturday, 8 August
    Bledisloe Cup match one

Adam Ashley-Cooper - VC (Waratahs)
    Kurtley Beale (Waratahs)
    Quade Cooper (Reds)
    Scott Fardy (Brumbies)
    Israel Folau (Waratahs)
    Bernard Foley (Waratahs)
    Matt Giteau (Toulon)
    Greg Holmes (Reds)
    Michael Hooper - VC (Waratahs)
    James Horwill (Reds)
    Sekope Kepu (Waratahs)
    Tevita Kuridrani (Brumbies)
    Christian Lealiifano (Brumbies)
    Stephen Moore - C (Brumbies)
    Drew Mitchell (Toulon)
    Ben McCalman (Force)
    Sean McMahon (Rebels)
    Dean Mumm (Waratahs)
    Wycliff Palu (Waratahs)
    Nick Phipps (Waratahs)
    David Pocock (Brumbies)
    Tatafu Polota-Nau (Waratahs)
    Scott Sio (Brumbies)
    Rob Simmons (Reds)
    Will Skelton (Waratahs)
    James Slipper (Reds)
    Toby Smith* (Rebels)
    Henry Speight (Brumbies)
    Matt Toomua (Brumbies)
    Joe Tomane (Brumbies)
    Nic White (Brumbies)

http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsArt...p-decider.aspx
    Hey at least Higgers is gone!! No mention of who else is out but looks like Arnold, Higgers, Genia and Horne. Or were some of them already out?

Palu is too unreliable he will not make it through a world cup injury free

vCash
    Surely Kane Douglas should be considered over Simmons. How I would like to see him dropped! He does nothing!!! Go Benny-Mac!!!

vCash
    Have Palu or Quade ever had particularly good games against New Zealand?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Palu AND Skelton would be too much to bear.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF2404 View Post
    Surely Kane Douglas should be considered over Simmons. How I would like to see him dropped! He does nothing!!! Go Benny-Mac!!!
    Watching Simmons play with Skelton has given me a new appreciation for what Rob brings to the table.

Nobody can call him the most ineffective lock in Australian rugby anymore. Douglas for Simmons might paper over some cracks, but Skelton would still be on the field and therefore there's still a problem. Douglas for Skelton would solve a lot more problems (we'd still need another good lock though)

Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Palu AND Skelton would be too much to bear.
    You forget, we have won a game with Hooper, Higginbotham AND Skelton this season.

C'mon the

vCash
    Hey Folks just look at the venue.......... The more blue powder puffs in the team the bigger the crowd draw as most NSWmen and women only want them in the team..... The game will draw a big crowd with all the ex Kiwis in NSW...Also QC inclusion just confirms the ARU circus as most cirus's has a clown or 2... Lucky it not here and I would be going as I might be tempted to boo at QC thren I would be racist..

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    [QUOTELucky it not here and I would be going as I might be to boo at QC thren I would be racist..[/QUOTE]

Must be a lot of racists at The Force games with all the booing that goes on.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonkar View Post
    Hey Folks just look at the venue.......... The more blue powder puffs in the team the bigger the crowd draw as most NSWmen and women only want them in the team..... The game will draw a big crowd with all the ex Kiwis in NSW...Also QC inclusion just confirms the ARU circus as most cirus's has a clown or 2... Lucky it not here and I would be going as I might be tempted to boo at QC thren I would be racist..
    You've lost the plot.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    You've lost the plot.
    You're insinuating he had it in the first place?