Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: TV Ratings

vCash

ARU speaks out against 7

From FoxSports (of course...why wouldn't they plug this?)

ARU incensed by free-to-air
    July 27, 2006

CHANNEL 7 has angered the Australian Rugby Union with its decision to broadcast Saturday night's Bledisloe Cup Test after midnight in Melbourne and Adelaide.

ARU chief executive Gary Flowers is incensed that its own free-to-air broadcaster has decided to delay coverage of the showpiece match until after timeless classic The Sound of Music.

Flowers said the decision robbed hundreds of thousands of rugby fans of the chance to see Australia take on New Zealand in one of biggest sporting events of the year.

"The Bledisloe Cup is one of the most anticipated events on Australia's sporting calendar, but Channel Seven in Melbourne and Adelaide have decided to broadcast the match at five minutes past midnight," he said today.

"Instead of showing the match live, they are showing the umpteenth re-run of The Sound of Music.

"It is extremely disappointing for the ARU because we have worked very closely with the State unions and the State governments, and we have been very successful in growing the game in Victoria and South Australia.

"We have been taking annual Test matches to Melbourne for the past decade, and every year the appetite for the game grows.

"You only have to look at the world-record crowd that was set for the Commonwealth Games sevens (tournament) to realise there is a hunger for rugby in Melbourne.

"It is just unfortunate that our own free-to-air broadcaster does not have the same level of commitment to growing the game.

"This is extremely frustrating for fans who have every right to be angry with Channel Seven.

"It was disappointing enough that the match was originally scheduled for 10:30pm, but to push it to after midnight is insulting.

"I can only encourage rugby fans to call Channel Seven in Melbourne and Adelaide and make their voice heard.

"We have a very good relationship with Channel Seven management, and normally we would not speak out publicly against them.

"However, in this case, we could not let our disappointment go unspoken."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    but channel 7 will say that after "Border patrol" the sound of music is their 2nd biggest ratings winner - according to their latest poll technology. Trouble is I don't think too many people have Morse Code systems left in their houses - so I'm stuffed what they are going to do in the near future.

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Don't get me wrong, I like the Sound of Music...indeed my significant other played Maria at the Quarry amphitheatre a couple of years ago...

Jeez, hasn't channel 7 heard of DVD players and/or Torrents...is there anyone on the planet who wants to see the Sound of Music who hasn't????

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "Melbourne: The Sound of No Super 14 Team"
    But don't worry Victorians love their......

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4