Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Michael Hooper cited over alleged 'punch'

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    Nah, I'm not too concerned about the punching incident, my comment was really about the soccer culture creeping into the game. I agree he swung and made contact, for that matter, Skelton choked someone on the ground; so yeah, that's no biggie with me.
    I've been wondering since halfway through the season how long it would take for refs to start coming down on Skeltons chokes. I probably noticed it the most in a Tahs Brumbies game where he seems to have a penchant for grabbing guys around the neck to throw them over. Whether it comes deliberately, bad technique or he's just plain dumb I don't know, but the way the Tahs are encouraging this style of play is only going to cause probs for the Wallabies. As AndrewG said, he caused a reversed decision to the Argies and that's only an example of what he didn't get away with. Along with tackling guys off the ball - well the All Blacks will be licking their lips on using Skelton for some points.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    FFS G&GR! No, he's not guilty of punching, that's why it's called striking! He appears guilty of striking. The provocation is irrelevant. All of that said, I don't imagine he will get much in the way of penalty.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Nor should he.

Sanchez to be awarded the Greg Louganis award.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by jargan83; 29-07-15 at 09:02.

vCash
    You're right of course Jargs, but the diving (which was prevalent in the game) and the striking are separate issues. I can imagine that Hooper's defense team will make many of the same calls as GAGR (hopefully without the obvious bias and bullshit name calling) that he was held back, motioned to push the player off and got it wrong with the incident made to look much more than it was by some pretty childish play acting by the Argentine player.

That being said.....it's clear from the leadup motion with Hoopers arm that he was striking at Sanchez, that in and of itself contravenes the law. Will it bring a ban.......I don't know, a capable defense team will be able to produce hours of video of similar offences in different situations which also technically contravene the law.....just look at the reaction of any forward who is trying to disengage from a ruck and is being held in by an opposition player grabbing a handfull of jersey..invariably they start striking the arm that's holding onto them in an effort to free themselves....not once have I seen this penalised or cited.

A good defense argument should get him off, but in the current nanny state climate of the world game, I suspect an example will be made and he'll sit down for a couple.

Sanchez will be lauded as the victim and the Argies will throw themselves to the ground with renewed gusto in their next match (It'll be against South Africa, so will be fun to watch)

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Nor should he.

Sanchez to be awarded the Greg Louganis award....
    ...except that diver Greg Louganis happened to be an absolute champion of the highest calibre, courageously returning to complete a final dive after smashing and gashing his head on the board to win gold.

cowardly cheats can't compare to Louganis

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    http://www.rugby15.co.za/2015/07/mic...medium=twitter

"A SANZAR Judicial Hearing was held concerning the citing of Michael Hooper for alleged foul play during a Rugby Championship match at the weekend. The hearing was heard by Nigel Hampton QC via video conference on Wednesday 29 July at 5:00pm AEST, 7:00pm NZST, 4:00am ART and 9:00am SAST

The hearing has been adjourned until Thursday 30 July 2015.

No comment from any party will be made until the hearing is complete.

The hearing will recommence Thursday 30 July at 4:00pm AEST, 6:00pm NZST, 3:00am ART and 8:00am SAST."

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    One match suspension to be served this weekend because he was on the bench for Manly Shute Shield QF.

Available for Bledisloe.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    What a load of crap I reckon they got a ;eak that it would be a 1 match ban and got him into a shute shield team real quick... If it was a WF player it would have been different

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    So now the it's a SANZAR wide conspiracy against the Force as opposed to just an ARU one?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    they all hate us

vCash
    That's really sneaky of the ARU. If NZ had done that there'd be uproar over here. Hate sharp practice like this.

vCash
    I think that we've once again been let down by the ARU and Cheika by the "whatever it takes" mentality and actions.
    If nothing else they are consistent. (Beale et al)

Up until recently he was the incumbent Captain of the Wallabies.
    I don't care about the Sanchez dive or Hooper's actions or intent.
    Michael Hooper was found guilty of striking and given a 1-match suspension.

There was no way know that Hooper was ever going to play for Manly. When was the last time he did?
    How does he qualify to play in the finals? There is no way that he'd be risked a week before a Bledisloe game.

So at the highest level we show all of the young kids that it's OK to tell lies or plot a way through tribunal bans as "the ends justifies the means". (snigger, snigger). I've always thought such double standards to be rotten. A man's word should be good for something.

Hooper, the ARU and Cheika continue to disappoint on the ethics and standards fronts.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by andrewg; 30-07-15 at 21:08.

vCash
    Bloody hell we are a bunch of sad sacks. The bloke did nothing but push an idiot in the back who was holding him back illegally.

He should never have been sighted yet alone suspended.

Beale and cooper have also been released to play club rugby this week so it's not just hooper.

Also what short memory's we have if I recall it was the force who benefited by this exact thing a year or two ago with Alby and even McCalman both who were named in a club side during a bye round following a suspension.

Get off your high horses and support an undefeated wallabies team who will be at full strength against the worlds best team to win the rugby championships.

Up the wallabies!

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Hear hear Andrew. The whole affair has been shabby and disappointing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast