Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wallabies vs Argentina 26th July 2015

vCash

Wallabies vs Argentina 26th July 2015

So, Early Morning game.

Anyone still planning to be out and about to catch this one? or breakfast beers at home for the game

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Wallabies forward a bloody mess in Mendoza

AAP
    July 22, 2015, 9:06 am

Flanker Scott Fardy has emerged from a fierce Wallabies training session in Mendoza needing plenty of stitches after being elbowed and kicked in the head.

It was the Wallabies' first hitout since arriving in Argentina ahead of Saturday's (Sunday morning AEST) Rugby Championship clash with the Pumas.

Sporting a couple of decent cuts that produced plenty of blood, Fardy joked that his headgear would cover most of the damage after clashes with locks Dean Mumm and Rob Simmons on Tuesday.

"Mummy kicked me in the head in a pretty benign little drill that we were doing and towards the end of the session, Simmo elbowed me in the head," said Fardy, who continued training with thick bandages around his head.

"It's a pretty disappointing session for me, but I'll be right for Saturday."

The Wallabies suffered a humiliating 21-17 loss to Argentina - the Pumas' first Rugby Championship win - last year in Mendoza.

Fardy said the Australians were better prepared for the Pumas this year from the moment they stepped off the plane and their first session proved that.

"I think last time we had about 12 flights from Cape Town to get over here. I remember being extremely jetlagged," Fardy said.

"Our preparation has been a bit better than it was last time in terms of logistically getting here and with that comes the really good session that we had today. We were able to fly into it and we're really confident about what we can do on Saturday."

Coach Michael Cheika is set to make several changes to the side that scored a late and unconvincing victory over South Africa last weekend with David Pocock and No.7 Michael Hooper expected to start together against the Pumas.

Pocock excelled off the bench at No.8, while halfback Nick Phipps and playmaker Matt Toomua are also expected to start against the Pumas, following injuries to Will Genia and Matt Giteau.

Queensland Reds tighthead prop Greg Holmes is a strong chance for a starting berth, while in the second row, former captain James Horwill might gain promotion to start alongside his Reds teammate Simmons.

That will depend on whether Cheika sticks with NSW Waratahs giant Will Skelton who was underwhelming against the Springboks.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...ss-in-mendoza/

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Champion
    vCash
    Pity they don't show the same aggression in the games

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    If the changes mentioned are implemented I don't think this'll be a bad side actually.

Pocock's presence makes Hooper into an asset rather than a liability.
    Phipps might not be very good, but he's better than anything else we have available.
    Removing Skelton and replacing with ANYBODY will help both our lineout and in general play.
    and Toomua for Giteau is a forced change, shame it can't be Toomua for Cooper.

What's the story with Holmes getting mentioned? I thought Kepu was the best prop of the entire night against the Springboks, is he hurt or is Holmes going to switch sides?

C'mon the

vCash
    Pumas ring changes to face Wallabies

Melissa Woods
    July 24, 2015, 9:57 am

Five-eighth Nicolas Sanchez and fullback Santiago Cordero are the only survivors in a new-look Argentina backline to face Australia in the Rugby Championship in Mendoza.

Pumas coach David Hourcade has overhauled his line-up, making seven personnel changes overall and one positional change from the side that opened the four-nations series with a 39-18 loss to New Zealand last Friday night in Christchurch.

Argentina are aiming for their second win in the tournament's history after overcoming Australia 21-17 in Mendoza last year, when Sanchez was key.

He kicked three penalties and a conversion as the home side fought back from 14-0 down.

Winger Gonzalo Camacho was recalled for his first Test since the 2013 series while Santiago Cordero moves from the wing to take the No.15 jersey.

Five of the changes come in the backline with veteran centre Marcelo Bosch among those dropped.

Bosch has proved a danger man against the Wallabies, scoring two tries in his last five Tests; half his career Test tally from 34 matches.

Juan Pablo Socino will make his debut at inside centre, beside two-cap centre Matias Moroni.

They played together for the first time against the French Barbarians in June.

Veteran playmaker Juan Martin Hernandez wasn't considered as he continues to work on his fitness.

The only changes up front have lock Tomas Lavanini and flanker Javier Desio coming in to replace Guido Petti Pagadizabal and Juan Manuel Leguizamon respectively.

Socino, who impressed in the Baa Baas match, said they were motivated to bounce back from a defeat.

"Australia has great backs, but we have confidence in ourselves, in what we are doing, and we're out to stop them," he said.

Argentina: Santiago Cordero, Gonzalo Camacho, Matias Moroni, Juan Pablo Socino, Juan Imhoff, Nicolas Sanchez, Martin Landajo; Facundo Isa, Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe, Javier Desio, Tomas Lavanini, Manuel Carizza, Ramiro Herrera, Agustin Creevy (captain), Marcos Ayerza. Reserves: Santiago Iglesias, Francisco Nahuel Tetaz, Matias Diaz, Leonardo Senatore, Tomas Cubelli, Santiago Gonzalez Iglesias, Lucas Amorosino.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...ace-wallabies/

vCash
    Wallabies won't be rattled in Mendoza

Melissa Woods
    July 25, 2015, 7:34 am

The Wallabies are prepared for anything the Pumas throw at them - on the field and off - in their Rugby Championship Test in Mendoza.

The mantra for their week preparing in the Argentine city has been: `Be ready for anything' - with coach Michael Cheika repeatedly ramming home the message at training.

Last year at the same venue, Estadio Malvinas Argentinas, the signs weren't good even before kick-off when a local opera singer butchered the national anthem in what's become a YouTube classic.

During the match lasers were shone from the crowd at five-eighth Bernard Foley as he lined up to kick for goals.

But the real ambush came on the field when the Wallabies blew a 14-0 lead to fall to Argentina 21-17, their first loss to the Pumas since 1997.

Skipper Stephen Moore said the side was well aware of the hostile environment that came with playing in Argentina and would be ready for their match on Sunday morning (AEST).

"No matter what happens ... whether the guy has a few issues with the anthem, there's lasers ... we just need to keep our focus squarely on the job," Moore said after their final training run.

"Argentina is a unique place to play a Test; there's all those things at play.

"It's important for us to make sure that when you get inside those lines, the game is all that matters."

Apart from a 2013 blow-out victory to Australia in Rosario, recent matches between the two countries have been tight.

The Wallabies believe the Pumas have pin-pointed this match as their best chance of a Rugby Championship win and would play their best line-up after their opening loss to New Zealand.

But with a swag of changes including an untested centre combination, they're not too sure what the home side will throw at them.

Moore said one thing that was certain was that Argentine would use their set-piece as a weapon against the Australians.

He believed they would also try to target the breakdown, which was a frailty in the last-gasp win over South Africa in Brisbane last Saturday night.

"We're not sure if this is their best side or last week is their best side," Moore said.

"Their back row was impressive last week and we know they're going to be strong in the scrum.

"I thought the Boks turned over too much of our ball and we've tried to address that in the way we've trained because the urgency has to be there."

Moore missed last year's Mendoza match after knee surgery and with a new coach in Cheika and plenty of new faces in the line-up, he said it hadn't been revisited.

But he added that the team had still learnt a lesson from the loss.

"I think last year was a good example if you're just slightly off your game, you can get beaten by anyone," he said.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...ed-in-mendoza/

vCash
    What time is the game telecast? And on what FTA channel?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    6.30am on Ten

vCash
    Thanks TG

vCash
    Australia defeat pumas with 4 try bonus point so Australia lead rugby championship
    Quade Cooper what a waste of money and time...
    Will skelton ???
    POECOCK was just everywhere My MOM Poey made Hooper work harder as he could see that hooper is 3 or 4 rungs below poey and poey hits the rucks Hooper is a loose back..
    The forwards did ok in the scrums.. Not sure we have the right combos

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    A win as it should have been. I'm totally unimpressed! Going to have to decide on a team to follow in the RWC.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Not bad for a team that wasn't expected to win a game in the Rugby Championship

vCash
    TBH, I was left wondering whether the run of penalties after the card were square ups. They sure helped the Wallabies "control" that period as Gordon Bray and Co put it. Peyper didn't penalise some of those offenses so meticulously throughout. Particularly obstruction. I thought the Pumas got away with lots of block plays in front of their runners previous to that.

A sloppy game rewarded with a BP. Still, winners are grinners - nothing like accumulating wins when you're not playing well.....now the real contest begins.

vCash
    I'll take the poor wins until we're good enough to smash opposition off the park

vCash
    I hope they don't get fooled by this victory, even during their most woeful periods since MacQueen left, the Wallabies have never had a problem scoring tries from counter-attacks, I just hope we can be constructive and break the opposition down when we have the possession of the ball for a period of time, that's the key for the Wallabies (and Force for that matter)

Kurtley threw a couple of good balls, I dunno whether that's a good or bad thing though. Either:
    a) One or two flashes of brilliance against the Pumas and we might be lumped with his under-achieving arse a while longer
    OR
    b) A promise that he'll finally fulfil his potential.
    I dunno if I'll bank on the former. Have to admit, that above scenario could be said for Quade and Skelton. Skelton side-stepped this morning too.

Have we been barking up the wrong tree with Quade? They never made Campo a fly-half, maybe Quade should be the freakish guy on the wing, who can execute something special one or two times a match when he gets the ball in space, stepping around the last defender, backing his own ability to score or set up the guy in fat-man's alley?

Do you guys think that Matt Toomua is more of an organising lynch-pin in this team than everyone suspects? And is Phipps there more for his ability to pick the right direction to pass the ball, rather than just individual skill? He seems to go the right way most of the time.

Some of the runs McCalman made, really struck me as to how strong he is too.

Last edited by chibi; 26-07-15 at 22:08.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast