Thread: The Force 2016

vCash

The Force 2016

Sharpie this morning on Nova was asked about the poor season at the Force and what went wrong. He mentioned that the coaches and players had owned this at Awards night and that they had been demanding the wrong style/game play from the team, that it didn't work with them, and next season we're going to see a gnarlier side playing. What I would like to ask is this going back to what worked in 2014? Surely 2014 was the platform to build on - what about developing more attack? Does this mean revert back to an old formula that works and not at least building on attack structures/initiative? Who was at the awards can verify or comment cos I bet Foley must've gotten a hammering Awards Night!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    We played the same way in 2014 as we did in 2015, the problem is that other sides got wise to our style and found easy ways to counter it. The second Waratahs game was an exception. Louwrens' dynamic running game really disrupted the Tahs defence and the linespeed in defence was the best we had all year.
    I for one would like to see the team invest more in the talent we have out wide. DHP has the X-Factor as does Brache but we never get to see them use it as our game plan is so structured. The way the Highlanders played this year was something to behold they were simply Awesome, would love to see my team play consistently like they did!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    All talk. Foley will never play an attacking game style it's not in his blood. Go Back and read what he said when he was first appointed. It was all about playing an attacking game which fans would be happy to watch. He did give us a glimpse into what he really meant when he said we would use kicking as a way to attack with a regather (dumb tactics relying on the opposition to make a mistake).

Even his coaching team have no clue about attack. A South African defence coach and a second division South African attack coach (is there even such a thing as a South African attack coach) what hope have we really got in changing the game plan. We had a top level attack coach in Meehan but left after ideas fell on deaf ears.

In 2014 we didn't play attacking rugby we were just clinical with what chances we had mainly due to hodgo who scored 7 tries. This year he was out we played the same way but without his impact which shows a flaw in the game plan in it's self. Teams also worked us out way to easy. Kick us the ball as we will never attack from our own half and spin it wide as our defence was so narrow and designed to attack the breakdown.

2016 will be no different to how we have played under foley from the start. The only way to improve is to wise up and get rid of foley.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Player
    vCash
    Foley has got to be open to new coaching ideas. I think if he was open to trying a different game plan and had better assistant coaches we may be OK. Can he delegate though or is it his way only? I don't think the 2 SA guys are quite up to what we need and are probably no threat to Foley as far as usurping him. But we also need some better recruiting.....that is to say....a stud attacking player who can take the team and drag it yelling and screaming with him. The recruitment of Taps is OK but we need much more that that.

2016 is the year of ruthlessness. If we start the season badly the Force need to have the balls to fire Foley and move on. Same applies to the board. If they are there for their business acumen then how about starting by securing a naming rights sponsor. Having every player with a different jumper doesn't scream "team" to me. Grateful for the help of all the different sponsors but lets get serious and be a grown up sporting franchise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moono74 View Post
    If they are there for their business acumen then how about starting by securing a naming rights sponsor. Having every player with a different jumper doesn't scream "team" to me. Grateful for the help of all the different sponsors but lets get serious and be a grown up sporting franchise.
    I think you're going to have to wait a few years for that one. My money, the 23 sponsors thing is a wise business response to the fact that nobody wanted to stump up the dough in 2013. This year has only made us go backwards in that department, and Ifear that some of the loyal WA companies who have put in what they can will pull out for next year. A year of success won't be enough to attract somebody, unless we win the whole thing next year, well need to show some consistent positive press before we can attract a sponsor of that size.

That will mean finally turning the corner and forcing the wankers at fox to start saying good things about the force. I'd be using that as indicator number 1 that we are ready to shop ourselves around again....till then, multi-sponsor will be our lot.

C'mon the

vCash
    Foley took "ownership" of the horrible year.. at the Awards Night.. he didn't blame anyone but himself..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I think you're going to have to wait a few years for that one. My money, the 23 sponsors thing is a wise business response to the fact that nobody wanted to stump up the dough in 2013. This year has only made us go backwards in that department, and Ifear that some of the loyal WA companies who have put in what they can will pull out for next year. A year of success won't be enough to attract somebody, unless we win the whole thing next year, well need to show some consistent positive press before we can attract a sponsor of that size.
    If the Cronulla Sharks can finally find a naming rights sponsor surely there's a CEO out there willing to part with some cash for the Force

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Great to hear that Foles owned up to this years disaster, we can only hope that translates to changes or a move on mentality.

As for blaming the fact that a different sponsor on each jumper was a reason for our failings as a rugby team......I can't really even find the words!

vCash
    Not a reason, simply an indicator.

We won't be attractive to a big name company who is willing to spend the cash until we play better rugby than we have for the last several years.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    Foley took "ownership" of the horrible year.. at the Awards Night.. he didn't blame anyone but himself..
    It's good that he did Jo but there's not been much talk coming out of HQ or Foley about what they're gonna do to fix it. I'm all for moving forward but no one seems to give out any solutions for future planning. As we heard at the Open Training day, he can smooch the crowd but haven't heard and solutions as yet.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    That will mean finally turning the corner and forcing the wankers at fox to start saying good things about the force. I'd be using that as indicator number 1 that we are ready to shop ourselves around again....till then, multi-sponsor will be our lot.
    Perhaps we can bring Kearnsy on as a sponsor. Guaranteed exposure and we'd be paying him for good news stories.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    that the coaches and players had owned this at Awards night and that they had been demanding the wrong style/game play from the team, that it didn't work with them
    If the above is the case, then the players should be applauded for following the plan, and the coaching staff are at fault for not matching the game plan to the playing roster. Foley and co will need to strike a mix of conservative game plans and fast track development for what could only be described as an "average" spread of talent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moono74 View Post
    Perhaps we can bring Kearnsy on as a sponsor. Guaranteed exposure and we'd be paying him for good news stories.
    Ummm, in that scenario wouldn't he be paying us???

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    If the Cronulla Sharks can finally find a naming rights sponsor surely there's a CEO out there willing to part with some cash for the Force
    Clearly there wasn't otherwise Sinders would have locked them in.
    He should be commended for bringing this initiative, that had been used elsewhere, to Perth during hard times.

Clutching at straws if the sponsorship of each jersey is considered a contributing factor to the 2015 results.
    It certainly didn't prevent the team from getting results in 2014.

It's only the Mining Industry that has company decision makers in Perth AND, when not in lean times, the $$s to support sport.
    Unfortunately, local company FMG, was already supporting the Aussie hockey team when the Force had Emirates.
    Seemed to be a good fit for us as they label themselves as "The new FORCE in Iron Ore".

I fear that we'll have to wait for the move out of the current trough for mining before we can expect significant, single-company sponsorship.

In the meantime we should continue to welcome and support the local sponsors who have provided >$0.7 Million for each of the last 2 seasons.

We also have to be careful of who we choose as the Jersey Sponsor.
    I could JUST handle the Emirates Western Force but would struggle with something like the Creamy Donuts Western Force.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by andrewg; 18-07-15 at 10:03.