Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallabies v South Africa 18 July 2015

vCash
    Not convinced of Hooper over Pocock or Higginbotham over McCalman.

Cheika probably playing around with a few selections, at least I hope so!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    But is it really about anyone/anything EXCEPT Gits?! I know thats all the commentary team will be talking about!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Wallabies to be unpredictable: Larkham

By Vince Rugari
    July 16, 2015, 11:36 am

The new-look Wallabies side named for Saturday's Test against South Africa is to reflect the team's new aggressive and unpredictable identity, backs coach Stephen Larkham says.

Quade Cooper and Will Genia have replaced Waratahs pair Bernard Foley and Nick Phipps in the halves, with Matt Giteau at inside centre named to complete a tantalising playmaking trio that will be unleashed in the Rugby Championship opener at Suncorp Stadium.

In tandem with the selection of mobile, ball-running back-rowers Scott Higginbotham and Michael Hooper, Larkham said it was a sign of things to come from the new Michael Cheika regime.

"We've got our own identity that we want to live by," Larkham said.

"We want to be seen to be unpredictable and I think those guys certainly bring that unpredictability."

Giteau earned a recall after a four-year absence, the 92-Test playmaker among the big winners in the keenly-anticipated first squad of the season as they begin the path to the World Cup in England and Wales in September.

Cooper and Genia return to the starting team together for the first time since November 2013.

"With new combinations comes a new level of energy to our team environment and Will, Quade and Matthew certainly bring that," Cheika said.

"Matt is a true professional and his impact on the team dynamic has been immediate.

"His form in Toulon and work ethic since joining the squad has been first class."

In all there are four changes to the team that faced England at Twickenham in the final Test of 2014 on the European Tour.

The other change is Tevita Kuridrani, who returns at outside centre alongside Giteau.

Giteau's French club teammate Drew Mitchell earns a recall on the bench after Rob Horne and Adam Ashley-Cooper won starting wing spots.

In the forwards, giant NSW Waratahs star Will Skelton will partner Rob Simmons in the second-row, while skipper Stephen Moore, James Slipper and Sekope Kepu make up the front row.

Higginbotham beat Ben McCalman to the No.8 jersey and vice-captain Hooper edged David Pocock to join Scott Fardy in the back row.

Pocock, who returns to the Australian set-up after missing the last two international seasons due to injury, is joined on the bench by another former Wallabies captain, James Horwill.

"With leadership comes responsibility as well. The bench will play a pivotal role in ensuring we close out the game as well as we open it," Cheika said.

Wallabies: Israel Folau, Adam Ashley-Cooper (vc), Tevita Kuridrani, Matt Giteau, Rob Horne, Quade Cooper, Will Genia, Scott Higginbotham, Michael Hooper (vc), Scott Fardy, Rob Simmons, Will Skelton, Sekope Kepu, Stephen Moore (c), James Slipper. Reserves: Tatafu Polota-Nau, Scott Sio, Greg Holmes, James Horwill, David Pocock, Nick Phipps, Matt Toomua, Drew Mitchell.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...table-larkham/

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCLE BOOG View Post
    But is it really about anyone/anything EXCEPT Gits?! I know thats all the commentary team will be talking about!
    Agree! So much smoke has been blown up his whatsit this week that he might just float away on Sat night!!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    I am hoping Benny Mac's exclusion is because he's a shoo-in and they are just testing out the also-rans!!!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Time for gigsa's prediction of fox sports assessment of this team.

Michael Cheika has engineered a regeneration of Australia's flagging fortunes with an inspired selection in the first test. Knowing that the Springboks were going to commit too much of their focus to the ball on the floor, he has wisely elected to change the gameplan to something which will unnerve and bamboozle them. The elusive running of our outstanding back row will be too much for the ponderous springbok pack and the meters gained by captain-in-waiting Hooper and future-wallaby-legend Skelton will provide an amazing platform for the deadliest inside backs trio in World Rugby to generate excitement in bucket loads.

In real English, we're going to get pillaged at the breakdown, but if we can manage to run backwards fast enough, Gits is clever enough to put our slow wingers into a gap big enough for them to almost get back to the gain line.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    I am just looking forward to some international Rugby again.. I do hope the Wallabies impress and surprise and get some positive press before the Wold Cup.. Bring it on..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Somehow I'm finding it hard to be inspired by this Warrabies team
    Check the Boks team - Wallabys must win by 10 or more. If things don't go as planned there will be a huge "coit pucker" and Cheika will stick all his tahs back in - win lose or draw it's uphill for McCalman, and zero to no chance for Hodgson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    Victor still hanging in there..and No Jean De Villiers..
    They called Michael Clark's team "dads army"??? - what about this Boks team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralto View Post
    They called Michael Clark's team "dads army"??? - what about this Boks team.
    Pensioner army.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Hey,leave us kids alone

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    My Prediction

With Skelton in a lineout you need Higgers as they can't lift skelton.. Then the lineout is predicable as limited numbers to jump..

We will be killed at the breakdown with the likes of the Bok forward pack coming in amd pushing our light wieghts back..

Wallabies being unpredictable so much other team members are not sure what QC will do so everyone will be lost in the calls
    Backs will stand there looking stunned as not knowning Coopers next move..

Boks by >10

vCash
    I have a bit more faith in the backs as Larkam is looking after them.
    However they'll never get the ball as the forwards will be dominated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonkar View Post
    My Prediction

With Skelton in a lineout you need Higgers as they can't lift skelton..

No you don't. If you pick McCalman you still get a lineout option and you still get a good ball-carrier. But you also get a higher all-round work rate - and a little more mongrel to boot, IMO.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast