Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who do you want to see play for the Spirit in 2015?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash

Who do you want to see play for the Spirit in 2015?

Who do you want to see and playing where for the Spirit this year?

I'd love to see Koteka and RHP locked into the back row and more of Louwrens.

Burton at 10?

Im all for having a mix of players but there are some core guys Id like to see every week.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Do we know if Tapuai & Lance are available for NRC?

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    That's an interesting question tif, afaik their Reds contract runs until the end of the calendar year, but that doesn't guarantee them a spot in any of the qld sides.

I'm sure we could use them, but there's a weird contracting thing going on which is meant to share the talent around (but didn't seem to impact the rising last year)

It'll be a question of will from rwa. Do they want to jump through the required hoops.

I'd say yes, even if it means losing access to a Luke Monaghan type, because it's 3 months Extra exposure for the new blokes

C'mon the

vCash
    I want to see much more of Mitchell Scott (assuming he's staying with us) and Chris Alcock.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Since some of the teams need to both develop current Super players as well as develop emerging talent (and QLD and NSW are unlikely to help us, the Brumbies or Rebels out), I reckon we should have a South Australian team starting with 50% or so players from Vic, WA and ACT.

I'd have thought that since it would be the top rugby competition in SA you'd get at least a few people (would 3000 be optimistic?) along to games. In the other states people also have the option of tests and Super Rugby games. We've had over 20,000 at Wallabies tests in Adelaide (vs Namibia and Pacific Islands).

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Everyone knows The Ox Academy is by far the best rugby to watch is SA

Good point though James, it's just which players and does it defeat the purpose if they are not playing with the players ideally they would be stepping up to play with in the future. Regardless of the if's and buts, the more competitive rugby the better.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    It would definitely be the ideal to have players playing alongside their team mates- but how do you fit everyone in? Is the priority to develop Koteka or have Matt Hodgson fit if there are injuries and he gets a Wallaby call up?

Do you play Lance to develop combinations or do you play Burton to develop him in a similar way?

Justin Turner was Super quality before his knees packed it in- does he get game time? Who gets priority out of Louwrens and Prior? What about Michael Ruru who gets pretty big wraps from clubland?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Perth Spirit Twitter: @PerthSpirit
    Perth used the most players of all NRC teams last season – 42, in all – but they tell me that in 2015 they are not expecting to adopt the same only-in-Perth strategy of last season for Western Force players.

That said, it’s unlikely that many of the non-Wallabies senior Force players will feature at all, and that, combined with a large number of departures after the end of the Super Rugby season (Sam Wykes, Zack Holmes to name just two) means that Perth Premier Grade players will again feature heavily.

McGillivray Oval, the training base of the Western Force to the west of the Perth CBD, will be the venue for all four Spirit games this season, and the club is hoping locals will get out in the sunshine and #FillTheHill.

Ticket prices remain the same as last season, too – $15 for adults, $10 concession, and under 16s in free. You can also get all four games for the price of three, if purchased before the first game.

Perth will name their coaching panel in the coming weeks, but Force assistants Kevin Foote and Dave Wessels, who jointly guided the team last season, will have less direct involvement in 2015.

The playing squad will also be finalised soon, with a ‘combine’ kind of program likely to take place to identify the best of the Premier Grade locals.

The team will take control of the Spirit’s social channels at different points during the season, and keep an eye on their Instagram around away games, especially

From Brett McKay at The Roar http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/07/10...the-nrc-clubs/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Since some of the teams need to both develop current Super players as well as develop emerging talent (and QLD and NSW are unlikely to help us, the Brumbies or Rebels out), I reckon we should have a South Australian team starting with 50% or so players from Vic, WA and ACT.

I'd have thought that since it would be the top rugby competition in SA you'd get at least a few people (would 3000 be optimistic?) along to games. In the other states people also have the option of tests and Super Rugby games. We've had over 20,000 at Wallabies tests in Adelaide (vs Namibia and Pacific Islands).
    They did put in an unsuccessful bid last year. Don't know what the details were though.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I want to see much more of Mitchell Scott (assuming he's staying with us) and Chris Alcock.
    Mitchell Scott has been named in the Tasman ITM cup squad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Chris Alcock was with the Greater Sydney Rams (with Mafi). I'd rather not stock the Spirit with all Force players, so am happy to see them get game time elsewhere.
    Similarly, Tapuai played for Brisbane City, so while I'd like him to come over to get to know the other players, it might not be worth mucking up the NRC teams.
    However, Jono Lance didn't appear to play for anyone in the NRC last year, so he should be available.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit View Post
    Mitchell Scott has been named in the Tasman ITM cup squad.
    If that is the case, then I think we can take it he is gone next year. Seems a shame from what little we saw, wonder what went on there?

As to James's question, what I'd like to see is the NRC taken seriously. That includes players actually identifying with their club, as opposed to just playing for some team. Perhaps that will develop as more players are actually developed up through the system, but I want to see an ITMC type feeling develop - if a player (including Wallabies and senior SR players) is not otherwise involved with the national team or under the knife, he plays for his team. The NRC will ultimately fail if the fans don't take it seriously, and they can't be expected to do so if the players and administration don't.

So, on point, I'd like to see all our 'local' Force players in the team unless they have a burning desire to play for another. That would obviously include all local product, along with overseas players intending to become local players. It would also include players that might have set down roots here that would make it difficult to return to their 'original' side (for example, Hodgo might have returned to NSW when he was young, but once he made some of those bigger long term commitments...). But as for the rest, I would like to see them want to return to 'their' side. I'd also like to see the NRC teams rewarded once their players make it into SR, but that is a different issue.

vCash
    Would be nice to see us give some of the wider training group a run.. we used very few of them this year compared to previous years. As far as I know Louwrens, Lacey, Scott, and Koteka were the only none regular starters that had meaningful game time. Are Nikoro and Yamada hanging around?

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    If that is the case, then I think we can take it he is gone next year. Seems a shame from what little we saw, wonder what went on there?
    Alby played ITM Cup while still contracted to us, though that was pre NRC...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    But Alby is a marquee and can't play for Australia. If Scott goes back, it will reset his residency clock and defeat the point of his "developing player" status. That would suggest he isn't one any more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast