Thread: Giteau should be Wallabies' No.10: Dwyer

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Giteau should be Wallabies' No.10: Dwyer

Russell Jackson
    July 9, 2015, 7:11 am

Matt Giteau is by far the Wallabies' best option to play five-eighth at the Rugby Championship and World Cup.

That's the opinion of the Wallabies' 1991 World Cup-winning coach Bob Dwyer who references Giteau's masterclass in steering Toulon to a 24-18 European Champions Cup win over Clermont in May to bolster his argument.

The 32-year-old Giteau, who played mostly at inside centre for Toulon this season, was shifted to No.10 for the final in a bid to spark the star-studded backline.

The move worked a treat, with Giteau producing several classy touches and incisive runs.

"It was the number one world class performance by a flyhalf in the second level of rugby, if you can call European Cup rugby that, it was absolutely first rate," Dwyer told AAP.

"His acceleration to get the backline moving was fantastic. He ran straight and got his backline running straight.

"He knew when to carry and when not to. When he carried, he was a real threat and the second touches he got were first class.

"As soon as I see a flyhalf getting second touches, I know he's running straight and playing flat."

Giteau hasn't played for the Wallabies since he was overlooked by coach Robbie Deans for the 2011 World Cup squad and after playing his 92nd Test earlier that year in a loss to Samoa.

The Wallabies kick off their Rugby Championship campaign against South Africa in Brisbane on July 18, with NSW Waratahs five-eighth Bernard Foley and Queensland Reds star Quade Cooper in the mix for the No.10 jersey.

But the choice is simple for Dwyer, a former coach of champion five-eighths Michael Lynagh and Mark Ella.

"Giteau brings the players outside him onto the ball and makes them carry the ball in front of him, so then he can get around them easily ... I just think he's so far ahead of the rest, it doesn't matter," he said.

Dwyer would like to see Reds veteran Will Genia partner Giteau in the halves for the Wallabies at the expense of NSW Waratahs halfback Nick Phipps.

"I don't know how many passes he's (Phipps) thrown this year that have missed everyone, but it's too many," he said.

"I think he's a great athlete and has unbelievable courage and determination, but you can't have a scrumhalf who misses everyone with his pass.

"Will Genia is the man for me. If you can get the best out of him, he's our best scrumhalf."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...s-no-10-dwyer/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Veteran
    vCash
    Ryan Louwrens for Wallabies scrum half!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    Ryan Louwrens for Wallabies scrum half!
    Might have to change his nationality, according to wikipedia he has a South African flag next to his name (born in the republic) whilst Mafi (born in Sydney) has a Tongan flag next to his. Kiwi's obviously editing the Force's wiki page.

Non sunt multiplicanda entia sine necessitate

Veteran
    vCash
    Mafi is actually capped in Tonga, so he's out. I just want a half back who can pass...

As long as he is a permanent resident of Australia, he can play for the Wallabies. And according to that same wiki article, he has been here since at least 2008, more than enough time to be a permanent resident.

vCash
    All Super Rugby scrum halves can pass. It's whether they take a step or two before showing us they can pass; that's the issue.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Dwyer's also said the Beale should be on the wing.

Is Dwyer desperate for attention or senile?

or both?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    All Super Rugby scrum halves can pass. It's whether they take a step or two before showing us they can pass; that's the issue.
    Really? Tell that to Bern Foley. He might "pass" but his passes don't hit the mark.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    Nick Phipps , argument over I win

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post

The 32-year-old Giteau, who played mostly at inside centre
    Easy to shine at 10 in a team that's dominating, chuck him in at 10 v the ABS on a rainy day in Eden Park, then see how he goes. Very rarely do you get a player that moves position and thrives long term. Players like Stephen Larkham are the exception.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    Dwyer's also said the Beale should be on the wing.

Is Dwyer desperate for attention or senile?

or both?
    Probably both, but if you consider the plethora of quality backs available at the moment it's not as crazy as it sounds. Folau is obvious choice at 15 & Beale is too inconsistent to play 10 leaving either centre or wing. I'd have KB on the wing over Drew Mitchell.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zed View Post
    Probably both, but if you consider the plethora of quality backs available at the moment it's not as crazy as it sounds. Folau is obvious choice at 15 & Beale is too inconsistent to play 10 leaving either centre or wing. I'd have KB on the wing over Drew Mitchell.
    Giteau is not a 10 and has proven that I think. If he's to be on the field it should be at 12. We have enough 12s
    Beale is a turnstile and should not be in a position where strong defense is required
    I can see the AB's rubbing their hands together in glee at the thought of running over Beale on the way to the tryline.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    Giteau is not a 10 and has proven that I think. If he's to be on the field it should be at 12. We have enough 12s
    Yeah for sure.