Thread: Vale Norm Berryman

Champion
    vCash

Vale Norm Berryman

Very sad. Will be remembered at Kalamunda and Wanneroo and the WA rugby community

Norman Berryman dies of heart attack
    The one-test All Black, Northland rugby stalwart and three-time Super 12 champion with the Crusaders died overnight Monday, aged 42.
    Berryman moved to Australia about 11 years ago, first settling in Sydney for about three years, before heading to Western Australia. He was a father of six - twin daughters, Cairo and Kaya, Terrell, Tatiana, Laytarjae and Shyah.
    In Perth, Berryman was originally involved with the Kalamunda club. He later coached at the Wanneroo Rugby Club, up until last season.
    Northland Rugby chief executive Jeremy Parkinson said Berryman epitomised everything which the union tried to provide and was a real character of the game, a "cult and folk hero".
    "He showed you can grow up anywhere and make it into the All Blacks.
    "He was a little bit different, he never used to warm up with the team, he'd just stand around and have a chuckle and then roll out with the team.
    "He was a shining light in that if you're talented and you persevere you can succeed. He was hugely popular up here."
    He was not always the most popular player though, infamously quitting an All Blacks' training camp in Auckland and hitch-hiking back to Whangarei from Auckland.
    John Hart, who was All Blacks coach at the time, and Berryman, did not see eye-to-eye and the strapping wing/centre said Hart "projected negativity".
    "That's 100 per cent bang on. It was an interesting time ... but that wasn't even the fun bit. That was getting home and wearing it from my mother," he said in a later interview.
    "Boy, if you'd had your recorder on then, bud, you would've made some money."
    Berryman played his one test as a replacement against the Springboks in 1998. He won Super 12 titles with the Crusaders from 1998-2000Berryman, as opposed to most high-profile rugby players, was a relatively late-starter in the sport.
    The Wellington-born Berryman lived in Island Bay for seven years before moving to Whangarei.
    "Wellington will always have a place in my heart, but I've a lot of time for the far north. They really look after you in Whangarei," he told The Press in 1998.
    Berryman's father played rugby league in Wellington and the junior Berryman remembers tagging along with his father to training when he was only 3-years-old.
    "'I was into heaps of sports before rugby. My first sport at primary school was soccer and I played league on Sunday," he said.
    "I started in rugby when I went to Whangarei Intermediate. My mates were playing rugby so I decided to give it a go. I played rugby on Saturday and league on Sunday and the during the week I'd play basketball, cricket, or soccer."
    The sports-loving and fun-seeking Berryman said he only took rugby seriously when it went professional. Until then, he even enjoyed trainings and the "'odd beer or two" which came at the end of them.
    With professional rugby came the stricter training and personal disciplines. Berryman, not an avid trainer, accepted those responsibilities knowing rugby was his livelihood.
    "In some ways I don't know whether we're better off or worse, but to get paid to play is pretty cool."
    The All Blacks have expressed their condolencies on Twitter.
    "Thoughts are with Berryman whanau following passing of "Stormin" Norman," the All Blacks wrote.
    Former All Blacks captain Tana Umaga also offered sympathies on Twitter: "If it's true about Normy B then it's another sad day! Heart goes out to his whanau! #gonetosoon."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by wholetruth; 23-06-15 at 08:36.

vCash
    Very sad news... Definitely too young to die and leave a family behind. Thoughts are with his family. RIP Norm B

vCash
    Sad news. Always fun to watch and/or ref him down at Kala lower grades.

Champion
    vCash
    Thanks for the memories, RIP Stormin Norm

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    3 rugby players have died recently ....all under different circumstances. My heart felt prayers go out to all family and friends . 42 years old..very very scary knowing what my hubby has just gone through at the Mount.
    RIP

vCash
    Surprised to see Norm a few times down at Kingsway at the far end of the ground sitting in his fold up chair - just enjoying the game. Only played once for the ABs, but remembered forever. Did it his way. RIP

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Fundraising efforts for Norm Berryman's family

KATIE KENNY
    Last updated 16:58, June 26 2015

The late New Zealand rugby star Norm Berryman gave generously to others people's children, and now it's time for others to help his, a close friend says.

Berryman, who played a test for the All Blacks in 1998 on the back of huge public support, died of a suspected heart attack on Monday. The 42-year-old had just returned from Italy where he played in a tribute match for the late Jerry Collins on June 13.

Close friend Suzanne Mahu has set up a Givealittle page to raise money for his widow Leena and the couple's six children, who live in Perth, Western Australia.

Despite Berryman's sporting status - he was a three-time Super Rugby championship-winner with the Crusaders from 1998-2000 - his roles in the local community were unpaid.

He was dubbed a cult rugby hero, but never chased the limelight. It was all for the love of it.

"Anything to do with sports, and kids, he's there," Mahu said.

On top of his job as a forklift driver, Berryman was heavily involved in local rugby, rugby league, touch, and football clubs, she said.

"That's nothing to do with his own previous history of his career. He was just the type of person who if you said, 'do you want to do something down at the club,' he'd say, 'yep, I'm there'.

"He never did it for the money. Him and Leena were both working to support six kids, and he had a big extended family, but he never really took money off anyone and if he did he was always very quick to put it back into what he was doing.

"In a way it's a shame he never set up something that became a paid job for him. Everything was always off the cuff."

The givealittle donations would go towards school fees, household bills, and general family costs, she said.

"He just loved his kids. Loved his kids. He was a real family man.

"Once all of this is over, once the funeral is over, everyone will return to their own lives and I just hope that Leena's not having to return to work too soon. We want to do as much as we can so she can be there for the children."

Hundreds of people from both sides of the ditch posted messages on a tribute page.

Many comments referred to him as "Stormin Norman" - a nickname from his playing career.

Almost $6000 has been raised on the givealittle page since it was launched on June 24.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/6...rrymans-family

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!