Thread: AFL Threaten to Stay at Subiaco

vCash

AFL Threaten to Stay at Subiaco

AFL and Colin Barnett Government in stand-off over Perth Stadium
    June 20, 2015 9:22pm
    ANTHONY DE CEGLIEPerthNow

Negotiations between the AFL and the Barnett Government over the new Perth Stadium have become so heated the code is threatening to stay at Subiaco Oval.

PerthNow and The Sunday Times can reveal tensions over how to run the facility are boiling over on a number of issues – including the AFL’s desire to raise money by selling the naming rights. The AFL is also trying to limit the number of non-football events held there during the season, like rugby matches or music concerts.

Another sticking point has been the cost of ongoing maintenance and refurbishments. It is understood the AFL is even questioning if spectators should be stopped from bringing their own food and drink to matches.

Football’s future at the stadium is being represented by the Joint Football Working Group, headed by AFL boss Gillon McLachlan.

Barnett Government insiders this week complained about the AFL having an “entitlement attitude”.

“They are being a pain in the arse,” one official said.

Another said it was “immature” of the AFL to threaten to play at Subiaco Oval instead of the $1.4 billion stadium at Burswood. He said the Government could respond by refusing to put on special trains to games at Subiaco.

The AFL and the Barnett Government did not deny they were at loggerheads when approached by The Sunday Times.

Could the Eagles and Dockers refuse to play at the new Perth Stadium.
    An AFL spokesman said recent meetings in Perth had been focused on “the design of the stadium and the financial and commercial arrangements that comprise a long-term user agreement”. “The AFL doesn’t do its negotiations via third parties through the papers,” he said.

“We will politely decline to comment, but our goal is to get the best outcome for our fans, the game and our clubs.”

Acting Sports Minister Terry Redman said the state was “engaged in discussions with football about a range of issues to do with the new Perth Stadium”.

“It would be inappropriate for the State Government to comment on the status of the confidential negotiations that are currently progressing with any of the future users of the new Perth Stadium,” he said.

The Perth Stadium is expected to open in time for the start of the 2018 AFL season.

Premier Colin Barnett has previously said he was against selling the naming rights of the stadium.

Source: http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/west...edium=Facebook

--------------

I've been waiting for something like this to come up. Am surprised it took so long. The AFL want the stadium to themselves, with nobody else ever allowed to use it.

Also some of the comments on the perthnow facebook where I saw this article initially are hilarious. If anyone feels like stirring people up, you wouldn't need to try too hard.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by jono; 21-06-15 at 11:03.

vCash
    Negotiation cripple fight - Colin Barnett vs Gill McLaughlan

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I think it's pretty simple. Tell the AFL to pay the government for the stadium & all the associated infrastructure - as well as pay out the lease for subiaco and then they can have the new stadium to themselves.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Pretty much. Hopefully the WA government sticks to its guns.

The AFL will not want to play at Subiaco Oval post 2017 and I assume at worst the Governent can buy out their own lease on Subiaco Oval?

vCash
    I was under the impression that once the new stadia was opened Spewbiaco would be demolished or housing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf1 View Post
    I was under the impression that once the new stadia was opened Spewbiaco would be demolished or housing.
    yeah without looking for the article that's right. so it's an empty threat anyway.
    just the AFL throwing another tantrum - like they will do next year if the Perth test falls in September.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Surprised it took so long, but pretty stupid by the WAFC...gives the government a pretty clear idea what will happen if they give their consortium the management contract for the stadium. Not that I think they won't anyway...

vCash
    The AFL are likely still seething at the 91000 at the G the other night. Some of their media types are squealing about giving AFL Origin Football another shot. Barnett & Co should have an eye on the inbound tourism opportunities offered by the other football codes.
    Eastern States media are already spruiking taking RL Origin to more neutral venues. But I suppose Victoria is not that "neutral" anymore. Just like Minto, Bowraville, Fiji and NZ - it's in Queensland!

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    The AFL are likely still seething at the 91000 at the G the other night. Some of their media types are squealing about giving AFL Origin Football another shot. Barnett & Co should have an eye on the inbound tourism opportunities offered by the other football codes.
    Eastern States media are already spruiking taking RL Origin to more neutral venues. But I suppose Victoria is not that "neutral" anymore. Just like Minto, Bowraville, Fiji and NZ - it's in Queensland!
    HK might get a go too, because of the very dead rubber Bledisloe Cup a few years back. I'm sure HSBC wont mind putting out some dollars.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue