Queensland Firebird Verity Simmons and Western Force’s Nathan Charles are Australia’s most inspiring couple

Robert Craddock
The Courier-Mail
June 19, 2015 12:00AM

THEY might just be the most inspiring sporting couple in Australia and they have certainly inspired each other.

There are people who feel sympathy for Queensland Firebirds netballer Verity Simmons because she juggles her fight against Type 1 diabetes with her sporting career.

But she will never feel sorry for herself. It just wouldn’t feel right.

Why? Because she knows someone who is conquering an even greater challenge.

Simmons partner Nathan Charles, the Western Force hooker, is believed to be only person in the world playing major contact sport with cystic fibrosis.

When he was born his parents were told he might not reach his 10th birthday. He is now 26 and has played four Tests, an achievement which prompted former Wallaby coach Ewen McKenzie to brand him a medical marvel who had defied science and logic.

“It works so well because we are both athletes and we both have diseases we have to work with and manage,’’ Simmons said.

“He is an inspiration. Sometimes when I am down in the dumps and need a lift I just roll over and look at him and it really lifts me. It makes me feel as if I have nothing to whinge about. He has done very well.’’

Simmons, who will play a key role for the Firebirds in their sold-out ANZ Championship final against the Swifts at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre on Sunday, has her own multi-layered story of defying the odds including breaking her wrist when she fell on court in New Zealand in March.

National coach Lisa Alexander is among those who has been impressed with her recent form.

Simmons was diagnosed as a diabetic at age 17 and tests her blood sugar levels up to 10 times a day, telling children to drink plenty of water and never be afraid of testing their levels in public.

Acute tension or excitement can make her levels rise and during last year’s championship final she had to leave the court late in the game to steady herself with insulin as levels which should be between four and eight soared into the 20s.

When his sugar levels reach such heights it can blur her vision and she once likened it to feeling drunk.

“We had a bit of hiccup with my levels in the final last year. It is a big ball game. I was very excited. But it is part and parcel of it all. I have lived with it and I have learnt to control it.

“I think I have changed a lot since last year. I have changed my eating patterns. I was almost over eating last year. I was eating for my diabetes not for myself.

“I think I have a tighter grip on my levels now.’’

Charles said watching Simmons had helped him with his own battle.

“Every day having her in my life she is an inspiration to me, how hard she trains and how motivated she is toward the end goal,’’ he said.

“She has overcome adversity. She has had injuries on the court and diabetes off the court but the way she goes about her life is very inspirational . You can see why people see her as a role model.’’

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1227404605459