Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PINDAN PREMIER GRADE PREVIEW: ROUND 10

vCash
    Some big words about the Wests pigs there considering they just appear to have put the sword to a forwards unit which has been touted for the last couple of years as being baby eating monsters who can only be appeased with fresh meat.

Now I'm not closely aligned with clubland these days and the spin that flies around these parts might have tripped me up, but either Kala is a good unit which didn't turn up or Wests actually played some hard yards rugby.

I'll leave it to the boys who actually saw the game to figure out which.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    Insider you have exposed our Achilles heel, our pathetically soft seagulling cream puff tight 5 got smashed and continues to be a major concern this season yet again. We will get absolutely destroyed by the likes of the Neddies hard as mean machine.
    Thought you would be down watching your beloved Arks this weekend.

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    Insider you have exposed our Achilles heel, our pathetically soft seagulling cream puff tight 5 got smashed and continues to be a major concern this season yet again. We will get absolutely destroyed by the likes of the Neddies hard as mean machine.
    Thought you would be down watching your beloved Arks this weekend.
    Few pre~emtive text words crept in there westie but the picture is still the same
    The space is behind the breakdown
    The losseys at Wests love the isolated player and will turn over ball all day
    The tight 5 are being carried as teams try to play an open style of game which suits Wests
    Surely there must be coaches amongst this comp who set game plans to there own strengths and not to compeat against the strengths of others or has foley been running coaching clinics for prem grade coaches as I have watched west 3 times this season and all clubs have played right into Wests hands
    Kala have a hard working trio as well and a no 8 who spent more time in the back line than required
    Maybe against other clubs kala have had a good time out wide but should have been smarter yesterday
    Remember there was no dominance from either side in the first half bar a try on half time from a kala penalty that that went wrong and should have been 3-3 at Half time
    There is definitely weaknesses to exploit at Wests if you are prepared to have ago
    Retain possession build pressure and the rewards will come
    Probably the same words coaches used in 1905 but I think coaches have got a little to far ahead of themselves theses days work out your strength and develop a plan that suits your opposition
    I will follow the draw as I must catch up with 7 mile and find out what has been happening in the bowels of the Rugby WA board room

Champion
    vCash
    Perhaps someone can tell me whether this score is right - 4th Grade: Palmyra 115 def Joondalup 0.
    I also saw that Palmyra gave the other grades a fair touch up. Joondalup started with a bang and good on them but the problem of depth in expansion looks to be raising its head as we thought it might.
    As regular readers to this site know I have always contested that we have too many premier grade clubs fielding too many sides. Eight Premier clubs the max. Could this be showing now.
    As most of us agree, we need a Rockingham-Mandurah club, we didn't need another northern suburbs club at this time nor do we need so many inner city clubs.
    Anyone else, apart from the decision makers at RugbyWA, want to get on the soapbox.
    As an aside I watched Wanneroo v Nedlands. The Dogs got a couple of touch ups too but it was interesting to see how many of their juniors were in their Prems and that their lower grades (apart from the old farts) were very young sides.
    That is the future for Wanneroo under Gibbo, IMHO probably the best local club coach, and other clubs if we are to improve WA Rugby.
    It may hurt for a couple of year but it certainly costs a lot less.
    I'm not sure whether the grubby mercenary that Nedlands stole from Wanneroo for big bucks was playing. The Dogs are better off without him. Serves Nedlands right if he's bitten the hand that stole him.
    Westies, you would be able to comment about what Gibbo did at your club a few years back. I seem to remember when he bought a heap of young guys in and you played a great running game. Is that the grounding for what you have now?

Last edited by wholetruth; 14-06-15 at 16:41.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Perhaps someone can tell me whether this score is right - 4th Grade: Palmyra 115 def Joondalup 0.
    Don't know, but I witnessed the end of an unedifying spectacle in the under 19s where apparently Wests cracked a ton against Kala.
    Bunbury's score isn't in yet, but I'd have to guess it's either a flogging, or their favourite 25-0 "loss". How many forfeits can you have
    before you get turfed. Shouldn't throw mud, it's all about their ongoing rugby education, and enjoyment, and flying the flag in the South - 7 matches with a total against of 299 points, 4 (possibly 5 if truth be told forfeits in 9 rounds).

Player
    vCash
    Over the last few years there has been plenty of mismatches, the worrying thing for me is the Premium Clubs that either don't have a U19 side or if they do it is very weak. It should be mandatory for these clubs to field sides in this Division.
    It is not uncoincidental that these clubs are sometimes the ones who are very vocal in complaining about other clubs recruiting policies.
    My message to them is the same as it has been for many seasons, get of your arses and get your own house in order and stop relying on outside agencies to do your recruiting for you.
    This also means getting quality qualified coaches for all your teams not just your 1sts. How else will you lower grade players get prepared for promotion.
    It is all good congratulating teams on promoting their youth but if they don't have a youth team then the congratulations are pointless.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    WESTERN FORCE MEDIA RELEASE
    Sunday, 14 June 2015

BOARS EXTEND UNBEATEN RUN TO 10 MATCHES

Pindan Premier Grade – Round 10
    Wests Scarborough 37 defeated Kalamunda 10 at Bennett Park, Doubleview
    Associates 47 defeated Perth Bayswater 15 at Allen Park, Swanbourne
    Palmyra 23 defeated Joondalup 13 at Tompkins Park, Alfred Cove
    Cottesloe 31 defeated UWA 22 at McGillivray Oval, Mt Claremont
    Nedlands 44 defeated Wanneroo 14 at Kingsway Reserve, Landsdale

By Luke Worthington

Wests Scarborough has continued its undefeated run into the 10th round of the PINDAN Premier Grade with a 37-10 win over Kalamunda at Bennett Park yesterday.

The home-side was held try-less until midway through the first half, but once they scored they were unable to be stopped by the Kalamunda defence.

Wests Scarborough coach Dwayne Grace said competition for positions within their club that has been integral to the club’s success so far this season.

“We’ve just got good depth this year, and we’ve got seconds [Reserve Grade players] who can play First Grade,” he said.

“We’ve been building over the last couple of years and it’s just getting a good group of guys through really, and using those players to get the best out of it.”

He said his side knew this round would bring a tough fixture, after Kalamunda had won their last four games in a row.

“Kala [Kalamunda] put on some really good points over the last few weeks so we had been building towards this one,” he said.

“They’re a good physical team but we just tried to match them with the physical stuff, and we knew if we could match them with the physical stuff then things would come into place.”

Wests Scarborough opened the scoring in the 15th minute, with an AJ Alatimu scoring a penalty goal before fullback Albert Nikoro soon scored from an offload down the right wing by brushing past three defenders to score adjacent to the posts. Alatimu kicked the conversion for a 10-0 lead in the 20th minute.

Outside centre Sheldon Tarawa then intercepted a wild pass, breaking the line immediately. With only Kalamunda fullback Daley Harper to get by, Tarawa offloaded to midfield partner Saula Fifita, who scored under the posts to extend the lead to 17-0.

Alatimu kicked two penalty goals in direct succession to give the Boars a 23-0 lead at the break.

Kalamunda scrumhalf Ryan Black scored his side’s opening try in the second term, crossing the line from the back of a breakdown under the posts, with the conversion waved away, leaving the score at 23-5.

At the 60-minute mark Wests winger Jarome Lenard-Tekanawa found a wide pass to create a two-man overlap with the speedster’s quick feet leaving all defenders in his wake, as he scored in the corner, with Alatimu’s conversion widening the margin to 30-5.

Scrumhalf Michael Marshall sealed Wests’ victory with a bonus point try when he broke the line to score. Alatimu completed his perfect kicking record for the afternoon, with the conversion putting his side up 37-5.

Kalamunda try-scoring machine Faamanatu Apineru completed the match with his 15th try of the season, with Harper missing the conversion to finalise the 37-10 result.

In yesterday’s other results, Associates continued their winning ways over Perth Bayswater, 47-15; Palmyra overcame Joondalup, 23-13; Cottesloe defeated UWA in their 2014 grand final replay 31-22; and Nedlands were too strong for Wanneroo winning 44-14.

Wests Scarborough 37 (Albert Nikoro, Saula Fifita, Jarome Lenard-Tekanawa, Michael Marshall tries; AJ Alatimu 4 conversions, 3 penalties) defeated Kalamunda 10 (Ryan Black, Faamanatu Apineru tries)

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I also saw that Palmyra gave the other grades a fair touch up. Joondalup started with a bang and good on them but the problem of depth in expansion looks to be raising its head as we thought it might.?
    The score is right.

Across 4 grades Palmyra racked up 254 to 21 against Joondalup. Joondalup led 7-3 at halftime in Prems though.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    The score is right.

Across 4 grades Palmyra racked up 254 to 21 against Joondalup. Joondalup led 7-3 at halftime in Prems though.
    Our lower grades are strugling, as expected have a look at the team sheets for 3s&4s and you'll see sides with ex prems players who have retired to those grades and hope we'll have the same in a few years.
    Prems are competive every week colts are doing very well and even our 2nd grade have won a few as well so aint that bad

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ben hur View Post
    Our lower grades are strugling, as expected have a look at the team sheets for 3s&4s and you'll see sides with ex prems players who have retired to those grades and hope we'll have the same in a few years.
    Prems are competive every week colts are doing very well and even our 2nd grade have won a few as well so aint that bad
    Well said ben hur.
    The established prem clubs are always quick to put down anyone who dares to try and grow to eventually properly compete against them it is good to see that Joondalup has been competitive in Prems and reserves and actually top of the ladder for the Under 19s. Now that Joondalup is a Prem club, it will be harder for other clubs (Not worth mentioning any) to dig into the Juniors who have been developed by Joondalup for years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ben hur View Post
    This will probably be a issue for a few years yet for Joondalup i.e recruiting quality players to play 3rd grade and 4th grade who can also provide backup for Prems & reserves if need be. The likes of Neddies & Cott have got a plethora of very good ex-rep players, still in their 30s playing down the grades whilst clubs like JB & Wanneroo have got guys playing 3rd grade that are new to the game or guys in their 40s/50s etc etc JB's best bet is to approach RWA and negotiate to either drop a side completely or drop a side down a grade. e.g Have a Prems side, 3rd & 4ths, but no reserves. Or Prems, Reserves, 4ths, but no 3rd grade.

Champion
    vCash
    Westies, you would be able to comment about what Gibbo did at your club a few years back. I seem to remember when he bought a heap of young guys in and you played a great running game. Is that the grounding for what you have now?
    I have a lot of time for Gibbo but the grounding was done by Pugs with his work with 17's, 19's and now 1st Grade. Counted 7 players from the U/17's 6 seasons back who are now regular 1st Graders and it would be a bigger amount playing Reserve Grade.

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by choice View Post
    Over the last few years there has been plenty of mismatches, the worrying thing for me is the Premium Clubs that either don't have a U19 side or if they do it is very weak. It should be mandatory for these clubs to field sides in this Division.
    It is not uncoincidental that these clubs are sometimes the ones who are very vocal in complaining about other clubs recruiting policies.
    My message to them is the same as it has been for many seasons, get of your arses and get your own house in order and stop relying on outside agencies to do your recruiting for you.
    This also means getting quality qualified coaches for all your teams not just your 1sts. How else will you lower grade players get prepared for promotion.
    It is all good congratulating teams on promoting their youth but if they don't have a youth team then the congratulations are pointless.
    There are only so many players to go around for the 19's age group. How can it be made mandatory to field teams in this grade if the players just aren't there.
    I take my hat off to the coach of the Bunbury 19's who is obviously trying his best to get a team happening. They should be given some sort of dispensation like making their team u/21 or something along those lines.
    Anyone that has had anything to do with that age group knows how bloody difficult it is field a team each week let alone try and do it from a country base.

Champion
    vCash
    Saw you on Sat Seven Mile, how's the young fella's rugby going over in NZ.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    There are only so many players to go around for the 19's age group. How can it be made mandatory to field teams in this grade if the players just aren't there.
    I take my hat off to the coach of the Bunbury 19's who is obviously trying his best to get a team happening. They should be given some sort of dispensation like making their team u/21 or something along those lines.
    Anyone that has had anything to do with that age group knows how bloody difficult it is field a team each week let alone try and do it from a country base.
    Never a truer word spoken Westie.

There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast