Thread: Season review: Force still short of a winning culture

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Season review: Force still short of a winning culture

Nick Taylor
    June 13, 2015, 10:21 am

Why did Western Force, so close to a maiden Super Rugby finals appearance last year, perform so poorly in 2015?

Did they overachieve in 2014 when they often punched well above their weight?

Did a fear of failure stymie them as this season wore on and restrict any chance of moving on from their game plan and into higher-risk rugby?

At the end of last season, everything looked rosy in the Force paddock. After the round-one win this year over the NSW Waratahs in Sydney, there was more talk of long-awaited success.

But it was a false dawn, even taking into account a second victory over the defending champions in Perth and last night’s 13-11 upset of Melbourne Rebels.

So what happened?

There is no doubt they missed inspirational captain Matt Hodgson for a chunk of the season and decision making let them down at crucial times.

But there were too many different problems that surfaced at different times.

When one fault was rectified, another appeared.

There is no doubting the players’ hard work and commitment, but those traits alone do not win games.

The adage of defence winning matches did not ring true and simply holding on to the ball is not good enough. The Force averaged longer in possession than any of their rivals, but it becomes a futile exercise if you do not go forward.

Kicking was too often inaccurate and they were often hurt by a lack of cohesion and consistency.

Unlike last year, close games did not go their way and the solution, as simple as it may seem, is to become a better attacking side and score more points.

But therein lies another problem because the Force do not have the power to take on teams in one-on-one match-ups.

There is a gulf in class of some players, shortcomings were exposed and coach Michael Foley does not have the individual brilliance of Quade Cooper or Israel Folau, who can change a game in a flash. Nothing much changed in the playing squad, but perhaps the small losses proved more significant than expected.

Front-rower Kieran Longbottom’s departure for England had Foley turning Tetera Faulkner into a tighthead prop on the run, although pretty successfully as he was called up to the Wallabies.

Utility back Jayden Hayward, who went to Italy, was an understated player with a steadying maturity in the back line.

Winger Nick Cummins returned from Japan but underperformed, while hooker Nathan Charles took a long time to regain full fitness after tearing a pectoral muscle in his fourth Wallabies appearance last year.

The Force had high hopes for South African Dillyn Leyds, but he returned to Cape Town where he has had a storming season.

Foley does not have the Australian Rugby Union-backed talent pool which is available in the other States.

The ARU pumps vast amounts of money into the Waratahs and Queensland Reds.

It provides only about $100,000 in top-up payments to Force players and another $200,000 for community rugby, but pours considerably more into the Waratahs and their Wallabies.

The reality is the Force are Australia’s most poorly funded club and have the smallest player nursery.

Foley has not used any of this as an excuse for the miserable season.

“We are underdogs and in the true sense of the word,” Foley said. “There are realities we have to face, there are many challenges and we are trying to come up with solutions.”

Foley faced tight financial recruiting restraints and brought 10 local players through the ranks.

The jury is still out on whether increasing the local base will provide the long-term answer to Force problems, but Foley immediately needs to fill gaps in key positions.

He can continue to build his pack around Wallabies No.8 Ben McCalman.

As Foley put it, he needs “a Matt Hodgson of the back line”.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...nning-culture/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    An effective #10 who can kick. Either for goal or downtown with the ball then going into touch.

Find us one of them.

Sorted.

Then MF can play around with KG at 12 or 13 all he likes, 'cos the bloke inside those positions will marshall the troops and we'll have some front foot stuff happening.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Apprentice
    vCash
    You have got Sias---sorted

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    An effective #10 who can kick. Either for goal or downtown with the ball then going into touch.

Find us one of them.

Sorted.

Then MF can play around with KG at 12 or 13 all he likes, 'cos the bloke inside those positions will marshall the troops and we'll have some front foot stuff happening.
    Exactly and I think we should be targetting NZ instead of South Africa for backline players. NZ have dominated world rugby for a long time by no fluke and they play a more attractive style of rugby which might win back some fans. They were probably on the right track when they signed Willie Ripia but just got the wrong player.

They should be having a look at all the NZ super rugby teams and seeing who the second and third string number 10's, 12's and 13's are and offering the chance of a starting spot every week. I know for example the Chiefs had 3 number tens all fairly equal this year that were vying for Cruden's spot when he got injured.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit View Post
    You have got Sias---sorted
    Effective. Emphasis on the word 'effective'.

vCash
    Just out of interest - what was JohnMulvihill like as a backs coach? Apparently he is also sniffing around for the Reds job along with the others?

vCash
    Still short of decent players. Where the hell does our salary cap go?! Can't we afford to attract some quality in the backs. Been 10 years now and and I don't enjoy rugby as much as I used to, must be the weekly hammerings. Oh well I'll forget it all in 8 months and sign up again for another season..

vCash
    Nick Taylor, thanks for reading twf

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Maybe he does. But you don't exactly have to be a journalistic Einstein to see how the deck is stacked.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Maybe he does. But you don't exactly have to be a journalistic Einstein to see how the deck is stacked.
    I know Nick does keep an eye on us here at TWF

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Veteran
    vCash
    i think we need a Nick Taylor emoticon Darren...

vCash
    Nice to see him publish our plight in the west but unlikely to get any exposure over east. And if it did, it would be