Thread: Georgia Page video: Australian rugby sevens player lays big hit after breaking nose

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Georgia Page video: Australian rugby sevens player lays big hit after breaking nose

FOX SPORTS
    June 07, 2015 10:31AM

THEY breed them tough down under.

Georgia Page did Australian rugby’s reputation no harm in an extraordinary display of tenacity during a women’s sevens match in the USA.

Playing for Lindenwood University in the Collegiate Rugby Championship, blood began pouring down Page’s face after copping a nasty head knock.

But there was no time for the woman dubbed ‘Rugby War Goddess’ to dwell. Just moments after suffering the injury she was back on her feet and producing a moment for the highlight reels, laying a big hit on an opponent from Notre Dame University.

It was only then that the referee noticed the stream of claret on Page’s face and ordered her from the field to seek medical attention.

But she was not done there, returning to the field in the second half and inspiring Lindenwood to a 24-17 victory.

Page has since become a viral internet sensation, with websites around the world picking up on the Aussie’s impressive show of toughness.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/ge...-1227386799170

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    BEAST MODE.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Sure it's probably quite remarkable, but not unusual enough for the moment to be easily identified.

Perhaps that is remarkable in other, softer, countries.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Sure it's probably quite remarkable, but not unusual enough for the moment to be easily identified.
    Is that your reaction to everything? "Oh it's a baby... whatever..."

vCash
    You know me so well.

C'mon the

vCash
    And my actual poit was...I couldn't tell when she'd broken her nose!

C'mon the

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    And my actual poit was...I couldn't tell when she'd broken her nose!
    when she was lying on the ground for a while...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Have to say, I find the story a bit condescending. The implication seems to be that this elite sportsperson in a contact sport was expected to just lie there flapping her hands and crying because she's just a girl. I would have thought the only story would have been if she had done anything less than she did. They're not out there to f*ck spiders.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Have to say, I find the story a bit condescending. The implication seems to be that this elite sportsperson in a contact sport was expected to just lie there flapping her hands and crying because she's just a girl. I would have thought the only story would have been if she had done anything less than she did. They're not out there to f*ck spiders.
    Yeah I know - I feel the same way when they praise a player for a perfectly timed pass or a neat sidestep - as if they're expecting an elite athlete to drop the ball or trip over.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I would have said probably more like a whole piece praising (say) Folau because it is awesome that his passes almost always find their target and he doesn't drop the ball much for a guy. Or that a male netball player could play on in an international match after copping an elbow in the face. I can't recall anyone writing a whole article about any guy that has played on with a broken nose, so what is it that makes it a news story if not a pat on the head for her gender?

Last edited by AndyS; 09-06-15 at 17:14.

vCash
    No because it's the kind of thing that men are *always portrayed doing*. That's the point. Women are not typically portrayed like this in popular culture. So if a girl or young woman somewhere reads the article or watches the video and thinks, "Hey that's awesome, maybe I can do that," rather than just seeing rugby as something that women cheer on men doing that's only a positive.

P.S. No I can't recall whole articles about guys playing through injury either. Not ever. Nope. Sam Burgess' heroics in the NRL grand final last year? Not a single article. Nothing.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Don't follow League, so hadn't seen that. Interesting comparison when googled it - all the coverage seemed to be bleating about whether he was allowed to play concussed. Apparently no such concern for girls...probably still the assumption that it was just a delicate little nosey-wosey rather than a real hit.

Still think it comes across as "See, womens rugby is actually a real thing. No, no, seriously, check this out, they can even get hurt!!!". I mean, "Rugby War Goddess" FFS...visions of hushed whispers, hands over mouths 'cos this girl actually gets hurt playing sport! Some of those girls are hard as coffin nails and should have nothing to prove to anyone. It would seem from this article that in fact they do.

Last edited by AndyS; 09-06-15 at 19:58.

vCash
    Some of those girls are hard as coffin nails and should have nothing to prove to anyone. It would seem from this article that in fact they do.
    I agree - in a perfectly egalitarian society you wouldn't need to but we're not there yet.

Veteran
    vCash
    it is good to actually have a news article about womens rugby, that is being read by all sorts of people. I reckon the new goats ladies team would take some inspiration from that article.

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    Some of those girls are hard as coffin nails and should have nothing to prove to anyone. It would seem from this article that in fact they do.
    The best part of not having anything to prove to anyone is that you don't give a shit what any hecklers think. You realize that what actually happens is what matters and what exists in other peoples minds is inconsequential.