Thread: McCalman stays loyal to club which helped him

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

McCalman stays loyal to club which helped him

Nick Taylor
    June 2, 2015, 7:59 am

Wallabies number No.8 Ben McCalman has signed a new three year deal with the Western Force.

The Super Rugby club will announce the extended deal today as part of McCalman's flexible Australian Rugby Union contract that allows him to play in Japan after the World Cup.

The announcement is a massive boost to the Force that has had a torrid season and sits at the bottom of the ladder, particularly because of the length of the contract.

Players rarely sign beyond two years, sometimes with a third year option, and the agreement is McCalman's way of repaying the club that helped establish him as a world class back-rower.

McCalman gave his word to the Force several weeks ago that he would stay, rejecting several big offers from the Waratahs who were desperate to snare him.

He was only waiting for the small print in his contract to be finalised before announcing the decision.

Force captain Matt Hodgson was confident he would be lining up with McCalman, who originally hails from Dubbo, next season.

He told The West Australian last month that McCalman was "a good country boy and when he gives his word it's good enough for me."

Hodgson has a two year deal that gives him the option of playing in 2017 but if he decides not to play beyond next year McCalman would be the first option for captaincy.

McCalman, 27, has signed to play for Japanese Top League side Panasonic Wild Knights which is coached by former Wallabies coach Robbie Deans after the World Cup, returning to the Force for the 2016 Super season.

He joined the Force in 2009, and has made 79 Super Rugby appearances.

He made his Test debut in 2010, has 14 Caps and will be one of the first players on Wallabies coach Michael Cheika's World Cup list.

The Tahs made no secret of their desire to lure McCalman to offset the departures of Wycliff Palu and Jacques Potgieter at the end of the year.

McCalman’s flexible contract is one of a select few being given to key Wallabies who have been given massive offers from Japan and Europe.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...ch-helped-him/

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    WESTERN FORCE MEDIA RELEASE
    Tuesday, 2 June 2015

McCALMAN RE-SIGNS FOR THREE MORE WITH THE FORCE

Rampaging No.8 Ben McCalman will stay with the Western Force after re-signing with the Western Australian club for a further three seasons.

The incumbent Wallabies No.8 will remain with the Force through until the end of the 2018 season, with his flexible contract allowing him to the play the 2015/2016 Top League season in Japan following this year’s Rugby World Cup.

The 27-year-old, who has been one of competition’s form No.8’s throughout the Asteron Life Super Rugby season, has already played 79 matches over six seasons with the Force.

McCalman, who played seven matches for the Wallabies at the 2011 Rugby World Cup, has typified his performances with a phenomenally high work rate and an ability to continually carry across the gain line with his powerful ball-running.

McCalman says he’s looking forward to remaining part of a young and developing Western Force squad.

“I’m really happy to be staying here in Perth for another three years,” he said. “It’s great to stay with the club that gave me my first opportunity, but it’s also exciting to be a part of a young team as we continue to develop.

“We had a strong season last year, and while we’ve fallen away a bit this season in terms of results, we’re a young team and it was always going to take a few years for us to reach our full potential.

“That’s a great challenge for us though, and I’m really excited to be here for another three seasons and be able to contribute to reaching that potential.

“Over the past three seasons, the squad’s remained really tight and there’s still a lot of belief within the squad that we can play finals rugby in seasons to come – which I think we’re capable of doing.”

Despite his five years at the international level, McCalman believes he can continue to develop his game at the Force.

“Personally, I’m really happy where I am and I think this is the best place for me to play my rugby,” he said.

“I feel like I’ve really developed, particularly over the last year or two, and I feel like I’m playing some of my best rugby.

“I’ve learnt a lot from the coaches we’ve had through here over the years. I feel like I’m learning a lot from Foles [Michael Foley] and our coaching staff here at the moment, and I know that there are still areas of my game I can continue to improve and develop.”

Western Force Head Coach Michael Foley says ensuring McCalman remained at the Force was a priority for the club.

“Over the past few seasons, Ben has developed into one of the most consistently high performing No.8s in this competition,” he said.

“On-field, he is uniquely able to create momentum for the team in attack and defence. However, off-field, he’s also begun to take on more responsibility as an emerging leader.

“Whenever Ben comes off-contract he will inevitably draw the interest of both local and international teams, however, his re-signing is a strong reflection of his loyalty to his teammates and the club. I’m thrilled to see him remaining with us for another three seasons.”

The Western Force will take on the ACT Brumbies this Friday night (5 June) at the ‘Force Field’ (nib Stadium).

Tickets to Western Force’s final home match of the season against the ACT Brumbies on Friday, 5 June are now available! Visit www.ticketmaster.com.au.

Name: Ben McCalman
    Born: 18/03/1988, Dubbo
    Position: No.8
    Club: Kalamunda
    Height: 192cm
    Weight: 106kg
    Super Rugby caps: 79
    Super Rugby points: 45
    Super Rugby debut: 2010 v Brumbies, Perth
    Test caps: 38
    Test points: 10
    Test debut: 2010 v South Africa, Brisbane
    Representative Rugby: 2010-2014 Wallabies, 2009 Australian Sevens, 2008 Australia Under 20, 2007 Australian Under 19, 2006 Australia A

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    cant believe he would choose perth over dubbo

the big dog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdWZKb659K0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Herbasimplex; 02-06-15 at 11:39.
    Non sunt multiplicanda entia sine necessitate

vCash
    Common sense 1
    ARU Conspiracy theorists 0

Well done Benny Mac, you made the right choice.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by jargan83; 02-06-15 at 09:16.

vCash
    He or Foles gave nothing away yesterday..but the announcement would be made "soon".. Well Done Benny Mac..we are really pleased you are staying (I'm sure I speak for all of the "Sea of Blue")

vCash

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    He or Foles gave nothing away yesterday..but the announcement would be made "soon".. Well Done Benny Mac..we are really pleased you are staying (I'm sure I speak for all of the "Sea of Blue")
    YEP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    Definitely...! A bit of good news for the Force (...for a change).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Common sense 1
    ARU Conspiracy theorists 0
    When it comes to player signings and the muddy waters surrounding ARU top-ups (particularly regarding how dragged out or lightening fast they are) there is no conspiracy. It's f@cking blatant.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    You bloody beeaauuutyyy!!!!!!

Apprentice
    vCash
    That's awesome. Great to see someone of his ability and standing stay for 3 years. Now we just need to sort the backs out

vCash
    This is fair dinkum the best news that has come out all season.
    veryveryveryvery close second is Hodgo playing on Seriously there isn't even any daylight between them

vCash
    Great news, thanks for sticking with us Benny Mac

Champion
    vCash
    Thanks for staying loyal to the club Ben