Pindan Premier Grade Preview: Round 8

By David Berrie
    Fri 29th May 15

Saturday, 30 May, 2015

Kick-off times:

First Grade: 3.30pm

Reserve Grade: 1.50pm

Under 19: 12.30pm

Click here to see the Tries of the Week from Round Seven of the Pindan Premier Grade

Match of the Round: Associates (5) v Cottesloe (3) at Allen Park, Swanbourne

Associates and Cottesloe will look to regain their early season form when ‘the Battle of Broome St’ converges on Allen Park this Saturday.

‘Soaks’ shot to the top of the table with three massive victories in the opening rounds of the season but have gone winless in their last four outings, falling to fifth position.

Despite a lack of results in the last month the Swanbourne club will take huge confidence out of last week’s game, where Associates tested undefeated Wests Scarborough for the full 80 minutes before going down by six points, 25-19.

With just three points separating third and sixth, Associates will be intent on grinding out a win to rise back into the four.

Watch the match streamed live here.

Cottesloe remain in third position despite three defeats in their last three matches but will be wary of the sides below them eager to climb into the top four

The Gulls suffered yet another close loss in Round Seven going down to Nedlands, 22-13, and will be keen to rediscover the form that saw them win each of their opening four matches.

Associates: 1. John Ogilvie, 2. Jackson Merry, 3. Ehipa (Pa) Thompson, 4. Matt Leary, 5. Peter Trend, . Dean Taylor-Menzies, 7. Michael Polastri, 8. Al Rovira, 9. Justin Turner, 10. Zack Holmes, 11. Casper Nell, 12. Altus Momsen, 13. Nick Fielding, 14. Ronan Colleran, 15. Robbie Ingram.

Cottesloe: 1. John Monk, 2. Urbain Lawrence, 3. Ollie Hoskins 4. Ross Haylett-Petty, 5. Kieran Stringer, 6. Adrian Hall, 7. Angus Duckett, 8. Sasha Holloway, 9. Charl Nieuwenhuis, 10. Antini Brown, 11. Nili Afeaki, 12. Tobias Hoskins, 13, Kelvin Smith, 14. Simi Veratu, 15. Sean Martin.

Joondalup (4) v Nedlands (2) at HBF Arena Sportsplex, Joondalup

Nedlands will look to continue their rich vein of form when they take on this season’s surprise package, Joondalup, at HBF Arena Sportsplex.

‘Neddies’ have already established themselves as premiership contenders with the club going undefeated in their last six outings, to sit two games clear in second spot and pressure table-topping Wests Scarborough.

The strength of the Nedlands backline was again on display in Round Seven with scrumhalf Michael Ruru scoring a double in their nine-point triumph over Cottesloe, 22-13, before leaving the ground injured.

Luke Doherty’s men will be keen to keep their form rolling and notch up their seventh straight win this weekend.

Joondalup continues to exceed pre-season expectations in their maiden Pindan Premier Grade season and will look to notch up their fifth win of the season this week in front of their home fans.

The Brothers, who will defend the RugbyWA Cup this weekend, bounced back strongly after a defeat in Round Six with a hard-fought six-point victory over UWA led by a two-try performance from Penetana Wallis, 22-16, and will be keen on securing a place in the top four with a win over Nedlands.

Joondalup: 1.Tristan Schneider, 2. Liewellyn Lottering, 3. Laione Mulikihaamea, 4. Coner McDougall, 5. Ryan Williams, 6. Adam Gregory, 7. Adam Wallis, 8. Tamati Timoko, 9. Johann Louw, 10. Carlos Waretini, 11. Michael Connolly, 12. James Wepener, 13. Maalonga Konelio, 14. Tamati Young, 15. Lui Guivalu.

Nedlands: 1. Joseph Ritchie, 2. Richard Taylor, 3. Jermaine Ainsley, 4. Scott Stevens, 5. Michael Egan, 6. Danny Hartwell, 7. Shane Hemi, 8. Tevin Ferris, 9. Ian Prior, 10. Jese Toto, 11. TBC, 12. Louis Saunders-Loder, 13. TBC, 14. TBC, 15. Kauri Cudd.

Kalamunda (6) v Wanneroo (9), at Hartfield Park, Forrestfield

Kalamunda sit in sixth position but are just three points outside of third place and will be eager to seize any opportunity to crack the top four when they take on Wanneroo at Hartfield Park.

The Bulls will be full of confidence heading into Round Eight after notching up two wins on the trot over sides above them on the ladder.

Round Seven saw ‘Kala’ put together their most complete performance of the year with a dominant 20-pont victory over Palmyra, 44-24. Winger Faammanatu Apineru was at his electrifying best scoring a hat-trick and will look to carry his form into the clash with Wanneroo.

Wanneroo have the wind at their backs heading into Round Eight after stringing two wins together and claiming their first home win of the 2015 Pindan Premier Grade season with a resounding 24-point win over Perth Bayswater, 36-12.

Wanneroo’s defence has been the cornerstone for the improved form over the last month, after giving up an average of almost seven tries per game in the opening five rounds. In their last two outings they have conceded a total of three tries.

Kalamunda: 1. Aaron Minnet, 2. Mark Royal, 3. Roy Kuka, 4. Matthew Dessauvagie, 5. Nikau Rangiwhetu (c), 6. Russell Burgess (c), 7. Auega Seumanutafa, 8. Leo Auvaa, 9. Aaron Murphy, 10. Preston Elama, 11. Faamanatu Apineru, 12. Tama Makamaka, 13. Daley Harper, 14. Ryan Black, 15. Iziah Malcolm.

Wanneroo: 1. Goliath Nikora, 2. Scott Cornell, 3. Andre Roux, 4. Adam Candy, 5. Bradley Campbell, 6. Sylvo Iro, 7. Benjamin Stimson, 8. Nathan Iro (c), 9. Bryce Watkins, 10. Timothy Koiatu, 11. Jarred Rees, 12. Andrew King, 13. Cerri Cummings, 14. Michael Wilson, 15. Alistair Laurie.

Perth Bayswater (10) v UWA (8) at Pat O’Hara Reserve, Morle

UWA and Perth Bayswater both suffered defeats in Round Seven and will look to turn their seasons around when they do battle at Pat O’Hara Reserve this weekend.

UWA have continued to struggle with their consistency from week to week so far in the 2015 Pindan Premier Grade season most recently going down to Joondalup, 22-16.

‘Uni’ have shown they have the ability to produce good rugby in patches but will need to put in an 80-minute performance in order take the points against Perth Bayswater.

Perth Bayswater remain winless after seven rounds but will take confidence from their last outing with a spirited performance against a much-improved Wanneroo outfit, going down 36-12. With tenth place taking on eighth place, ‘Baysie’ will be going all out to try and cause an upset in front of their home crowd.

Perth Bayswater: 1. Neil Boland, 2. Ben Buist, 3. Adam Grant, 4. Ngaruhe Jones, 5. Joel Winterburn, 6. Douglas Grey-Hull, 7. Jake Buist, 8. James Ellaschewsky, 9. Troy Mete, 10. Ollie Clements, 11. Reuben Haile, 12. Kolia Konelio, 13. Wade Bryant, 14. Zubayr Abrahams, 15. Wayne Thompson.

UWA: 1. Nevin Mills, 2. Harry Scoble, 3. Sui Liaga, 4. Jeremy Smith, 5. Liam Husband, 6. Tala Moli, 7. Chris Alcock, 8. Cian O'Connor, 9. Kris Setu, 10. Jimmy Blomberg, 11. Clay Uyen, 12. Mike Beattie, 13. Ben Taylor, 14. Levon Kvas-Rothwell, 15. Christian Joubert.

Wests Scarborough (1) v Palmyra (7) at Bennett Park, Doubleview

Wests Scarborough will be looking to maintain their perfect record and strengthen their hold on top spot when they host seventh place Palmyra this Saturday.

Wests continued their continued their brilliant start to the 2015 Pindan Premier Grade season in Round Seven with a hard fought win over a valiant Associates outfit, 25-19.

The ladder-leaders have had some close games in recent weeks, winning their last two matches by less than 10-points.

Palmyra missed their chance to crack into the top four last round going down to Kalamunda, 44-24.

Sitting in seventh position – but just one point behind fourth-placed Joondalup – ‘Paly’ will be keen to atone for last week’s result and upset Wests Scarborough to hand them their first loss of the season.

Wests Scarborough: 1. Chris Kidd, 2. Conan Houkamau, 3. Dylan Crawford, 4. Sean Flatman, 5. Rory Walton, 6. DJ Ferris, 7. Keith Andrews, 8. Hayden Anderson, 9. Michael Marshall, 10. AJ Alatimu, 11. Jerome Lennard-Tekanawa, 12. Saula Fifita, 13. Jordan Luke, 14. Jayden Devorms, 15. Albert Nikoro.

Palmyra: 1. Joe Savage (c), 2. Michael Tui, 3. Hamoira Tioke, 4. Phil O'Connor, 5. Gerard De Klerk, 6. David Hull, 7. JC Nel, 8. Onehunga Kaufisi, 9.Adam Marshall, 10. Sam Jurisich, 11. Nick Els, 12. Lewis Flood, 13. Vinnie Booiman, 14. Panashe Kamhara, 15. Tutere Waenga.

- See more at: http://www.rugbywa.com.au/article/pi....GQk1UyN1.dpuf

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Why would 5th v 3rd be match of the round? Surely two teams in the top 4 - 4th v 2nd and playing for the 'big cup' would be the main match to watch ... sorry, it involves Force A (Cottesloe), as you were ...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Good point Eel... I guess that would be because Joondalup are the new boys in the big league.
    It will be interesting to see how long they can hold on to the 4th spot considering how condensed the ladder is at the moment

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Palmyra missed their chance to crack into the top four last round going down to Kalamunda, 44-24.
    Been a bit of a banana peel match the last couple of years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yungfen View Post
    Good point Eel... I guess that would be because Joondalup are the new boys in the big league.
    It will be interesting to see how long they can hold on to the 4th spot considering how condensed the ladder is at the moment
    Battle of the halfs - great competition looming here.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Joondalup will beat Nedlands tomorrow

Champion
    vCash
    After unprecedented public demand my tips for the week
    Soaks v Cott
    Cotts wheels to fall off and will get rolled for the 4th week in a roll. Firing in Toby Hoskins last week who is only back for a holiday has really pissed off Cott's reserve grade who by all accounts are refusing to warm the bench.
    Bro Ollie AKA the Peanut Sheller will be hoping for an easier ride come scrum time.
    Zac Holmes was the best player on the field against Wests last week , throw Justin Turner in at halfback and that's a bloody handy pairing. Tip for Chook, do not kick the ball to Robbie Ingram at fullback because that kid has the ability to rip opposition backlines to shreds.
    Cott's backs are crap and everyone knows it.
    Soaks by 8
    Bros v Neddies
    Interesting match up tomorrow. Neddies without several regulars and 3 guy's called TBC and welcome back Rat Naylor who wasn't named but is starting will still have too much firepower across the board for a team that everyone now treats as a big challenge.
    The Reshelled Peanut will have a much tougher ask against Laione who cost more to get here than some third world countries foreign debt and by the way does anyone know where has Brazil 7's bound Jacko gone, he hasn't been dropped has he.
    The big new Cup is a goner but won't be the hiding everyone would have predicted 4 weeks ago.
    Bros will strip a bit fitter after the ref last week who was obviously having so much fun just wanted the game to go on and on and on and on.
    Neddies by 6
    Kala v Dogs
    The Dogs winning streak will come to an abrupt halt and will get smoked big time. Most hated thing from all clubs is a game against Kala at Kala especially when they get that roll on. Will be too physical and have some very handy types in the backs that can cause havoc or at least until everyone cottons on how to shut down that running 7's style. Big score coming up.
    Kala by 25 plus
    Scarfies v Baysie
    Big Murph is too scared to front up to his old teammates and won't play tomorrow. Last seasons comp winners look a mere shadow of themselves and won't be playing finals this season, missing Dickie, Ethan and a team in disarray I sense a good showing at home from the Baysie boys. The Uni lads will be in for a real shit fight and Baysie will be rolling their sleeves up. Am picking Uni only because of the Cian O'Connor factor.
    Uni by just a few
    Boars v Palm Trees
    Hard to know what Paly are about. New coach, different style, young unheard of players .Has been one win each every season for a long time. The 13-nil result last time we met from last season still irks and we were lucky to get nil. Wests have found a way to win and have actually been losing at halftime in every game we've played this year. Paly fighting for finals, will be tough. Can't wait for Fulvio's rant after I tell the bar staff to zap his beer in the microwave for 30 seconds.
    Wests by 4

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Player
    vCash
    I'll buy into the world of make believe by pretending to know what is going on in the change rooms of teams other than the one I support.
    Much as I dislike them, Cott to win over a struggling Soaks.
    Nedlands over the newbies. Two things are certain in life, taxes and Neddies to make the finals.
    Kala to continue rolling on, pun intended.
    UWA, embarrassed over last weekend will front up.
    Wests, otherwise known as Aranmore Old Boys .

Last edited by choice; 30-05-15 at 06:31.

Champion
    vCash
    You are a bit of a dick Choice, obviously have an interest in club rugby but nevertheless still a bit of a dick. A bit of advice, if I was you I would keep my head down because I know a lot of people in club land, even in your own Neddies set up and when my spies get back to me with your true identity after you gave yourself up last week you and me are going to have a little chat.
    My intention is to drum up interest in club rugby and I don't need dickheads like you bagging the crap out of me every chance you get for no other reason than to be,well a dickhead.

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    I have a fairly good idea who he is,Westies--how much money have you got?

Last edited by brokendown gunfighter; 30-05-15 at 11:31.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    Sounds like a you're a true blue nedlands man BDG how much will you pay me before I turn out in the gay blue

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    Fuck all, don't you read the Winning with Westie thread

Champion
    vCash
    Okay a few margins were out but I still nailed 5 from 5. I see you got the Cott -Soaks game wrong Al, you don't mind me calling you Al do you, told you my tentacles were far reaching.
    Tough game against Paly that never got going but was very physical. Highlight of the day was Hayden Anderson carrying a short ball into Joe Savage, winced watching the collision.
    Best game of the day was u/19's,watching 17 and 18 year olds with all that testosterone flying around, was free flowing and enjoyable to watch.
    Upset of the day throughout the grades was Bros reserve grade giving it to Neddies, thought depth would be a problem for them but am wrong. May have to revaluate Bro's prem grade chances of being top 4 material.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    WESTERN FORCE MEDIA RELEASE
    Sunday, 31 May 2015

‘SOAKS’ CLAIM ‘BATTLE OF BROOME ST’ OVER GULLS

Pindan Premier Grade – Round 8
    Associates 37 defeated Cottesloe 23 at Allen Park, Swanbourne
    Nedlands 37 defeated Joondalup 7 at HBF Arena Sportsplex, Joondalup
    Kalamunda 47 defeated Wanneroo 7 at Hartfield Park, Forrestfield
    UWA 45 defeated Perth Bayswater 8 at Pat O’Hara Reserve, Morley
    Wests Scarborough 22 defeated Palmyra 10 at Bennett Park, Doubleview

A hat-trick by winger Ronan Colleran has seen Associates break their four-game losing streak, defeating Cottesloe 37-23 at Allen Park yesterday.

A back-and-forth affair saw both teams take the lead a number of times throughout the match, but the home side was able to break away midway through the second half to take the win.

Associates coach Andy Cole said the win came after the lessons his side learnt over the last four matches.

“I think it’s been an accumulation of the last few weeks,” he said. “We’ve rebounded off a few games, we had a good hard look at ourselves and what we are capable of doing.

“This is a good young group of guys who are enthusiastic; they want to play some good rugby and it’s starting to come through for them.”

It took only a few minutes for the scoring to open with Associates and Western Force flyhalf Zack Holmes kicking a penalty goal from 26m out to give Associates an early 3-0 lead.

Cottesloe scrumhalf Charl Nieuwenhuis was able to break the ‘Soaks’ defensive line, setting up his team’s attack from only five metres out. This gave the Cottesloe forward pack the chance to collect the ball off a pass out of the breakdown and score their opening try through flanker Angus Duckett, with Nieuwenhuis converting the kick to put Cottesloe up 7-3.

Nieuwenhuis again broke the line only minutes later, this time chipping the ball over the top of two defenders to give flanker Adrian Hall an easy catch directly in front of the try line, crossing for five points. Nieuwenhuis converted the try to put Cottesloe at a commanding 14-3 lead in the 10th minute.

‘Soaks’ responded with a slick play off the back of this scrum when Holmes flicked the ball to Ronan Colleran to cross for five points just centimetres from the touchline. With the conversion missed, this put the game at 14-8.

The home side’s early first-half woes continued with an infringement at the breakdown giving Nieuwenhuis the chance to kick a penalty goal from directly in front to put Cottesloe up 17-8.

However, when flanker Dean Taylor-Menzies was held up at the try line, Soaks bounced back from the ensuing scrum with scrumhalf Justin Turner diving over the top of a ruck to score. Holmes converted to narrow Cottesloe’s lead to 17-15 after 30 minutes.

‘Soaks’ continued their comeback, when a deceptive pass from Justin Turner inside the 22m allowed Al Rovira to score under the posts. Holmes converted to give Associates a 22-17 half-time lead.

Nieuwenhuis opened the second half scoring with two early penalty goals before the ‘Soaks’ backline responded with a build-up of passes allowing Ronan Colleran to score his second try of the day. Holmes converted the kick from a sharp angle to give ‘Soaks’ a 29-23 lead at the 55th minute.

Colleran added his third 10 minutes later after the home side’s backline caught Cottesloe’s defence off-guard off the back of a scrum. The try remained unconverted giving ‘Soaks’ a 34-23 lead, almost extinguishing any hope of a late comeback by Cottesloe.

Associates held their lead until the end of the game, when Holmes added a final nail into the coffin with a last-ditch penalty goal to extend the final result to 37-23.

In yesterday’s other results, Nedlands took the RugbyWA Cup with a 37-7 win over Joondalup; Wests Scarborough continued their unbeaten run defeating Palmyra 22-10; UWA was too good for Perth Bayswater, winning 45-8; and Kalamunda took a convincing 47-7 win over Wanneroo.

Associates 37 (Ronan Colleran 3; Justin Turner, Al Rovira tries; Zack Holmes 3 conversions, 2 penalty goals) defeated Cottesloe 23 (Angus Duckett, Adrian Hall tries; Charl Nieuwenhuis 2 conversions, 3 penalty goals)

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!