Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force have pride on the line in Australian derbies

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Force have pride on the line in Australian derbies

Nick Taylor
    May 27, 2015, 7:36 am

The next three Super Rugby clashes, all Australian derbies, have become very personal affairs for Western Force as they look to avenge early-season losses.

With little to play for except avoiding the wooden spoon and regaining some pride, the Force will start by taking out their frustration on the Queensland Reds at nib Stadium on Saturday night.

The Force are propping up the ladder, two points adrift of the Reds. They face the Brumbies at home the following Friday night before travelling to Melbourne for the final match of the season against the Rebels seven days later.

Force and Wallabies prop Pek Cowan said the trio of games would bring plenty of private battles.

“You don’t like to lose a derby game. For us there’s a bit of revenge and we’re making it very personal,” Cowan said.

“There’s no better way to take out a bit of frustration than to play against guys that you know.

“There will be individual battles within the team, but the team result is the ultimate goal.

“We love playing the Reds and we’re looking forward to it. It’s going to be a physical battle and one that we are going to have to make sure we are up for.

“They back their pack and play to their strengths.

“Their scrum is good, their mauling is great and they love to play a tight game so we’ve got our work cut out.

“They are making really good gains off the forward pack.”

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...alian-derbies/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    They've got more than pride on the line
    they've got a lot of memberships on the line too
    and sponsorship money

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Imagine being a AFL Doggies Supporter, they have been around for 90 years (Footscray established in 1925), they have made two Grand Final appearances (1954 & 1961) and it has been 60 years since their last Grand Final win.

I am pretty sure their loyal fans don't threaten to walk out every time the team doesn't perform as hoped.

I think we all need to be prepared to sit through the tough times and you'll then be able to really enjoy the good one's when they come around, no matter how long it takes.

That to me is being a loyal die hard supporter, you have to take the good with bad.

Sure you can have your opinions about how things could be better and be disappointed (even bitterly disappointed if it makes you feel any better) if they don't win every week, but that's what being a supporter is all about....supporting at all costs.

If fair weather fans want to jump off, the sooner the better IMHO.

P.S - look at how those fickle bloody Eagles fans are, early on the season they were getting smashed by somebody at Subi and they walked out en mass. I bet they regret that now!

13 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by The InnFORCEr; 27-05-15 at 13:52.
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    regardless of how we wish humans to behave the facts are that the number of memberships will continue to drop if the Force don't start winning.
    Sponsors do not want their brand linked to a side considered to be 'losers'.
    Pride is all well and good, but if the Force want to get out of the red the best way it can be done is by winning more games than they lose.
    Die hard supporters are a dwindling resource that the Force should not be taking for granted.
    Every 'die hard' queenslands reds supporter is currently calling for the head of Richard Graham.
    And yet we are further down the lader than they are. Over 3 years Foley only has a 33% win ratio.
    Pride be damned.
    Lets start winning (we have the team to do it)
    and a new coach might help that.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    I agree with both you lads. My wish is to see some running rugby which we saw in the first 20 last week. But when we go back to the negative type play with absolutely no recourse from the coaching ranks while its happening that's what pisses me. Those boys can do it if they bank on themselves. When we get beaten playing negative kick it back shit that's when I get pissed. If we get beaten when we've played running rugby I'm nowhere near pissed.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Imagine being a AFL Doggies Supporter...
    Agree with all that in general terms, provided it doesn't turn out that we are actually South Melbourne or Fitzroy...

vCash
    Any "live" rugby is better than no rugby.

As Foley intimated we are boxing in a division too high for us at the moment.

There is no magical solution, without a huge benefactor and that is not likely in the current economic scenario in WA.

Lets not bemoan the current status as it cannot change very much and just get behind our boys, no matter what we say they are hurting much more than us, they are taking the physical hits for us week in and week out and nursing the bruises to show for it.

The least I can do is what I have been doing for the past ten years and that is turning up week after week to cheer them on and shake a hand or two after the game in thanks.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    Well here is my opinion Foley needs to go.

I can't believe he virtually said that his players are not up to standard. Were the same players not up to standard last season? Way to support them and show unity mate. It's them not me all over it.

A lot of our players are playing worse this season than they did last, hell Kyle Godwin was more skilled two seasons ago than he is now. The coaching staff are the only ones accountable for a general drop in skill level and dying confidence.

I hope Mark Sinderberry has got the guts to cut him free and secure an excellent coaching team. Paying top dollar for the best coaches to get the most out of our current playing roster seems the most sensible course towards improvement in my opinion.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Any "live" rugby is better than no rugby.
    Adopt a club side

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Fail.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    Well here is my opinion Foley needs to go.

I can't believe he virtually said that his players are not up to standard. Were the same players not up to standard last season? Way to support them and show unity mate. It's them not me all over it.

A lot of our players are playing worse this season than they did last, hell Kyle Godwin was more skilled two seasons ago than he is now. The coaching staff are the only ones accountable for a general drop in skill level and dying confidence.

I hope Mark Sinderberry has got the guts to cut him free and secure an excellent coaching team. Paying top dollar for the best coaches to get the most out of our current playing roster seems the most sensible course towards improvement in my opinion.
    The thing is Foley wants to go! A nice payout will suit him just fine as he has finished his study. Didn't Graham say basically the same thing when he went to the reds, ' about quality of players' and who is more likely to win a title?

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    I can't see any option but to grant him his wish, well at least the other options are illegal and are a little on the harsh side of life but hell if the board is willing it would be cheaper than the payout.

We need someone to do for us what Jake White did for the Brumbies. I have no idea who could do that but I know
    it is what must be done.

vCash
    After that performance there won't be a Sea of Blue next year. May just end up with a puddle of Blue.
    With the new format next year and the continual poor performances more than few won't be renewing next year!

May the FORCE be with you!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    As Gigs said on the match thread..
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I fear much more was lost tonight than a simple game of rugby.
    It felt a bit like that to me too. The crowd felt smaller again, but I got a real sense of resignation in the crowd around me and there were quite a number bailing with about 10-15 to go. It is a distinct worry.

Because we really do seem to be in a spiral. Everyone seems to accept that we don't have the talent, but that is not going to change playing a defensive one-dimensional game-plan with poor execution and continual lapses in basic skills. And given just how long that has been true, it would appear there is little ambition get better or be anything more. Seriously, who would playing like that attract other than the desperate and dateless? And even if we focus on making our own, how could they stay and seriously hope to progress? We seem to be heading towards becoming little more than a place to get seen or re-ignite a flagging career before moving to better things. A cynical man might wonder if we haven't become everything and all that the ARU hoped we would be.

Even then, they surely can't want us to be this clueless. As a start, if the players are going to play like little more than NRC players, they should all play NRC and no exceptions. And when they do, make it a standing rule that there will be no kicking. It might make them a little predictable, but so what - more than anything we have to find some semblance of understanding and system with the ball in hand. What we are doing now isn't getting it done, so let's force the behaviour and see if any of it sinks in that way...

vCash
    Puddle of Blue?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast