Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

Thread: Championship/prems Rugby

  1. #1
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    80
    vCash
    5066000

    Championship/prems Rugby

    Hi guys,

    Can anyone enlighten me to if there actually is a plan for the championship teams, and if so what it is?

    I know a lot of people on here are die hard prems and see the champ teams as some sort of pest which confuse things and are only there to supply extra players to prems (and not actively challenge), but is there any plan to develop champ teams to a point where we get beyond playing 3rd grade?

    what has happened to the level of 3rd grade? last year playing against prem 3rds was a brutally tough encounter for every champ team, this year, that level has dropped (granted the champ teams must have improved). have a lot of players left? Don't get me wrong, they are still tough encounters, just are not at the same level as last year.

    this is not intended to be a dig at anyone, just would like to know what the score is and how RWA intends to move forward.

    BillyGOAT

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  2. #2
    Champion NTT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    location location
    Posts
    2,209
    vCash
    5000000
    Championship clubs can earn promotion to prems status. Joondalup developed a plan and stuck it out and are now doing well in prems rugby. The pathway is there, its up to the championship clubs to build themselves up. RugbyWA will help guide clubs to achieve promotion but the majority of the responsibility is on the individual clubs.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

  3. #3
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    80
    vCash
    5066000
    Quote Originally Posted by NTT View Post
    Championship clubs can earn promotion to prems status. Joondalup developed a plan and stuck it out and are now doing well in prems rugby. The pathway is there, its up to the championship clubs to build themselves up. RugbyWA will help guide clubs to achieve promotion but the majority of the responsibility is on the individual clubs.
    Thanks NTT,

    as a humble player who doesn't really go into the inner workings of the rugby setup in WA (I have no idea if the intentions of my team - they may/may not have started proceedings). I was merely wondering what the next stage is going to be (will it be the same setup next year and the only way to progress is to build the team into prems?). Rugby is a hobby to me, one which i enjoy huge amounts and will continue to play until the body gives up, but the joy of rugby is in competition. The hard fought wins, the near misses etc the highs and lows. there is little joy for me in cricket score games (win or lose).

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  4. #4
    Champion NTT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    location location
    Posts
    2,209
    vCash
    5000000
    If i remember correctly (westie or wholetruth maybe hansie can confirm) the committe in charge of community rugby development, the CRAC, had a plan or a target of a 12-14 team premier grade by 2024 or something like that. Where the growth will come from is unknown but the CRAC had a plan to try and plug the 'gaps' around the metro area to the point wher there would be a rugby club no more than 15mins drive from all people who live within the metro area. Sort of like how there's an aussie rules club and cricket club in almost every second street. Myself i think this is the perfect scenario and is a worthwhile target however where the volunteers and resources (money) would come from is another matter. The chop and change of the comp structure over the last couple of years has halted some of the momentum that was building from within clubland with established volunteers becoming somewhat disillusioned and walking away and the results posted by the professional team, the Force, have also dented growth.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    2,815
    vCash
    5004000
    I think i see what Billy is getting at, i think that the goats top team won be 60-odd points, where has the quality gone in the 3rd team of the prem clubs? are they just exceptionally short of quality players?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  6. #6
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    682
    vCash
    5000000
    What is the go with the competitions anyway, eg in 3rd grade Curtin are only 5th on the ladder but have won 4/4, Rockingham are 7th but have won 3/3. Then there is another ladder for Championship A grade with the same teams. Can these clubs play finals in premiership 3rd or 4th grade if they make it or do they only play finals in the championship A grade. Anyone know what is going on? What is the point of them being in the ladder if they can't play finals, or alternatively how is it fair for them if they play half as many games as anyone else?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  7. #7
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    80
    vCash
    5066000
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Handy View Post
    What is the go with the competitions anyway, eg in 3rd grade Curtin are only 5th on the ladder but have won 4/4, Rockingham are 7th but have won 3/3. Then there is another ladder for Championship A grade with the same teams. Can these clubs play finals in premiership 3rd or 4th grade if they make it or do they only play finals in the championship A grade. Anyone know what is going on? What is the point of them being in the ladder if they can't play finals, or alternatively how is it fair for them if they play half as many games as anyone else?
    from what i understand, because champ teams only play 5 games against prem teams in these grades there is no way for them to get into the top 4 for finals, so its a waste of time having the champ teams in the prem ladder and vise versa as prem teams only play champ teams 3 times.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    2,815
    vCash
    5004000
    what a fuster cluck...

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  9. #9
    Champion Ralto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,282
    vCash
    5000000
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    what a fuster cluck...
    You could also term it the "Thinking Mans" competition, with so many teams and so many grades the possibilities are endless, and if you start to look at it in terms of progression analysis and cluster progression rate - well the outcomes are potentially so staggerring my glasses become too steamed up to see clearly.

    On the other hand if you look at the team sheets you'll most probably see that there are less players but more grades than last year - hence if there isn't a little bit of "fixture fogging" we could summit ten or 11 forfeits per week. It's already showing up with forfeits in the 19s (players backing up in various other grades) - so yes it's also a potential fcluck - but remember there's the new biggggg cupppppp.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  10. #10
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    596
    vCash
    5292000
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralto View Post
    You could also term it the "Thinking Mans" competition, with so many teams and so many grades the possibilities are endless, and if you start to look at it in terms of progression analysis and cluster progression rate - well the outcomes are potentially so staggerring my glasses become too steamed up to see clearly.

    On the other hand if you look at the team sheets you'll most probably see that there are less players but more grades than last year - hence if there isn't a little bit of "fixture fogging" we could summit ten or 11 forfeits per week. It's already showing up with forfeits in the 19s (players backing up in various other grades) - so yes it's also a potential fcluck - but remember there's the new biggggg cupppppp.
    So you just play every game to win, and at the end we roll a dice and find out who's in the finals. Easy.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  11. #11
    Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    home
    Posts
    1,625
    vCash
    5084000
    Quote Originally Posted by NTT View Post
    If i remember correctly (westie or wholetruth maybe hansie can confirm) the committe in charge of community rugby development, the CRAC, had a plan or a target of a 12-14 team premier grade by 2024 or something like that. Where the growth will come from is unknown but the CRAC had a plan to try and plug the 'gaps' around the metro area to the point wher there would be a rugby club no more than 15mins drive from all people who live within the metro area. Sort of like how there's an aussie rules club and cricket club in almost every second street. Myself i think this is the perfect scenario and is a worthwhile target however where the volunteers and resources (money) would come from is another matter. The chop and change of the comp structure over the last couple of years has halted some of the momentum that was building from within clubland with established volunteers becoming somewhat disillusioned and walking away and the results posted by the professional team, the Force, have also dented growth.
    Just saw this, sorry about the delay. My views are well known that the comp can't realistically hold more than 8 Prem clubs if the standard is to be lifted. Once again, from what I have seen this year, it is falling away.
    I'm not sure about this 2024 plan but what I do recollect is the old WARU board and ceo were happy to let teams appear from nowhere willy nilly and ran to the corners and hid when clubs, particularly Brothers, started threatening them with legal action. Good on you Ric.
    The old system of promotion and relegation was so biased to the Prem club that there was never a chance of the old District clubs. Waneroo had to wait until ARKS capitulated - read Rocky and Brothers. There was one relegation-promotion when ARKS managed to find the dosh to import a bunch of players because there was no rule about using players that had played during the season.
    Promises made to the District clubs by the another ceo Ian King (I think that was his name) about promotion-relegation if clubs agreed to go to a District Comp were completley ignored and broken. The whole thing became a joke and has left us with the situation we have today.
    I still believe that we should have a QLD or ACT set up with Prems and Subbies style comp if rugby is to improve.
    There you go. My ten cents worth. and happy to discuss further.


    b

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  12. #12
    Player
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    152
    vCash
    5000000
    Curtain would handle 2nds easy and would finnish mid table i reckon

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  13. #13
    Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,894
    vCash
    5030000
    I have purposely stayed away from this thread because all it does bring back last seasons nightmares but I have a good idea, why don't the clubs that aren't happy with this season's structure form their own little comp and call it maybe something like the District Comp.
    All those clubmen that have invested countless voluntary hours and money to ensure the survival and growth of their respective Prem grade clubs would all be very upset that the District clubs don't want to play our social teams which is what they are after you take out the respective Prem club's top 40 players who play elsewhere in a meaningful comp. Everyone's a winner.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on.

  14. #14
    Player
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    secret harbour
    Posts
    320
    vCash
    5000000
    And at the same time take all there juniors and form a new comp with them too problem solved .
    Heard that the finals will be contested by the top champ A side playing against 2 nd 3 rd and 4 the place in prem 3rds and top prem 3 rd side doing the same against champ A 3 sides.
    This was set up as last year no prem sides had a team in 3 rd grade finals and rugby wa were not happy with this .
    The current set up is a total mess playing the same team 4 times in one season is ridiculous .

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  15. #15
    Player
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    perth
    Posts
    318
    vCash
    5000000
    Quote Originally Posted by chertubler View Post
    And at the same time take all there juniors and form a new comp with them too problem solved .
    Heard that the finals will be contested by the top champ A side playing against 2 nd 3 rd and 4 the place in prem 3rds and top prem 3 rd side doing the same against champ A 3 sides.
    This was set up as last year no prem sides had a team in 3 rd grade finals and rugby wa were not happy with this .
    The current set up is a total mess playing the same team 4 times in one season is ridiculous .
    Wasn't 3rd Grade last year called Championship A and I'm pretty sure it was won by Nedlands.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. First rugby 'own try' in National Rugby Championship after referee's blunder
    By blueandblack in forum National Rugby Championship (NRC)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 17-10-14, 13:31
  2. The Rugby Championship Tipping on TWF
    By RugbyRef in forum International Rugby
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 20-08-13, 09:37
  3. Rugby championship trophy
    By jono in forum International Rugby
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-08-12, 17:54
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-02-12, 12:41
  5. NSW Rugby Releases Mazda Australian Rugby Championship Squads
    By Thequeerone in forum National Rugby Championship (NRC)
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 21-07-07, 22:04

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •