Wallabies confirmed in Top 10 Australian Trade Marks
July 06, 2006 - 3:24pm
Story by: ARU

The Wallabies have been confirmed as one of the Top 10 Australian Trade Marks by IP Australia, the government agency responsible for administering and granting trade marks rights.
The Wallabies have joined an exclusive list of the most-loved Australian icons including:

· ABC
· Arnott's
· David Jones
· Penfolds
· Qantas (the Wallabies' naming-rights partner)
· RM Williams
· Vegemite
· Weet-Bix
ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT· Wallabies
· Woolmark
IP Australia is celebrating the 100th anniversary of the first federally registered trade mark.

Members of the business and industry community throughout Australia nominated 40 of Australia's most prominent trade marks for consideration as the most popular.

A four-person panel of judges comprising advertising guru Siimon Reynolds, fashion designer and businesswoman Carla Zampatti, entrepreneur and artist Ken Done and Wallaby captain George Gregan refined the initial 40 nominations to a Top 10 list.

Gregan said he was honoured to be a part of the panel but admitted that he did not vote for the Wallabies.

"We were asked to choose our top ten out of the 40 trade marks," Gregan said.

"I was pleased to see the Wallabies on the list, but wanted to ensure the process was impartial, so I didn't include them in my vote.

"It is a great honour for the Wallabies to be nominated in such a list of Aussie icons.

"The Wallaby logo takes pride of place on the jersey, along with the Australian Coat of Arms and the Southern Cross. It is something the players take a lot of pride in, and represents the pinnacle of achievement for a player."

The Australian public have been asked to vote for their favourite trademark at www.ipaustralia.gov.au/tmcentenary. The result of the vote will be announced in August.