Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: ELITE GROUP OF OVERSEAS-BASED PLAYERS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR QANTAS WALLABIES

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Hooper as capt would presumably mean he is also the first-choice 7 over Poey. Shame (unless Poey gets injured)
    or sent to jail for protesting things

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Matt Giteau and Drew Mitchell are "very close to getting a recall" for Australia's rugby World Cup campaign, according to former Wallabies skipper George Smith.

Smith, Australia's second most-capped forward behind Nathan Sharpe, is considered less likely to break back into Michael Cheika's squad but believes his fellow European-based Australians are well-placed to pull on the famous jersey once again.

Australia have relaxed their selection policy to consider overseas-based players for the first time, but only those with 60 or more caps.

Smith more than qualifies owing to his startling 111-Test career but the 34-year-old may not squeeze into Cheika's plans.

"I think the Australia Rugby Union have shown some good forward-thinking decisions there with the new criteria to come in," Smith told PA.

"To play 60 Test matches is not an easy challenge to achieve in Australia.

"And to have the long service as Wallabies who do meet that criteria I think it's great they are rewarded with an opportunity to play overseas but also keep that connection with the Wallabies."

Giteau and Mitchell have helped Toulon to a third-straight European crown this season, and could well now be primed to end their Wallabies exile.

Giteau has not featured for Australia since being dropped by then-Wallabies boss Robbie Deans for the 2011 World Cup.

That move prompted his Toulon switch, but after four years in the wilderness he could be brought back into the fold.

Mitchell joined the French powerhouse in 2013, well aware his Test career would be up in smoke, but now he too is back in consideration.

Smith retired from Test rugby in 2010 and signed for Toulon before embarking on a two-year stint in Japan.

The Brumbies signed Smith back on a short-term contract in 2013, however, and later that year the combative flanker returned to Australia's Test team to face the touring British and Irish Lions.

While Smith is ready to champion the cause of his former Wallabies teammates for a Test recall, he was less forthcoming on his own situation.

"Look I think it's great for players like Matt Giteau and Drew Mitchell who qualify," said Smith.

"They've played particularly well for Toulon this year, highlighted in the fact they won the Champions Cup against Clermont.

"So I think those two are very close to getting a recall."

http://www.watoday.com.au/rugby-unio...0150528-ghb93x

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rookie
    vCash
    What are the policies of NZ and SA in regards to their players playing overseas and on the national side squad?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agrugger View Post
    What are the policies of NZ and SA in regards to their players playing overseas and on the national side squad?
    SA, no policy

NZ, everywhere in the world is their catchment, they take who they want, when they want (but only pick from Locally based players in all but extreme circumstances)

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    Must be playing in NZ to be selected for AB'S full stop. This panic button that the Wallabies have activated will lead to nothing but grief in the long term and will do massive irreparable damage to the game. Hasn't been thought through too well.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    Must be playing in NZ to be selected for AB'S full stop.
    bit Of a squishy full stop Westie. If you're Dan carter you can play ABs after a 'sabbatical' in europe, if you're richie McCaw you can play abs after no club rugby at all.

I know it's not exactly the same can of worms as the ARU situation, but it's not as cut and dried as you'd think.

At least the ARU have put a protocol into place for players to strive to meet.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    bit Of a squishy full stop Westie. If you're Dan carter you can play ABs after a 'sabbatical' in europe, if you're richie McCaw you can play abs after no club rugby at all.

I know it's not exactly the same can of worms as the ARU situation, but it's not as cut and dried as you'd think.

At least the ARU have put a protocol into place for players to strive to meet.
    Agree - but both Mcaw & Carter turned out for Canterbury before they played for the all blacks.

Unfortunately I think it's the same as will happen with dean mumm this year

Champion
    vCash
    Not too sure what you mean Gigs. There would be hardly any international player world wide who turns out for club rugby these days. Sure you don't mean Super 15.
    Anyway relaxing the eligibility rules means that rugby is heading down the path of soccer where players will be playing rugby anywhere in the world and only come together World Cup time.
    It's not that bad yet but it soon will be.
    Players can't have their cake and eat it too. A big can of worms has been opened.
    This ruling has the potential to destroy international rugby as we know it.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    I think Westies hit it on the head but I think it's already partially destroyed! You only have to look at the pacific island nations who's players aren't being released for WC this year, Argies not being released for the RC.
    The ARUs directive will be nul and void when some youngster from Au flys off to France as he can't get a S15 gig here and becomes the next must have scrum half etc.
    International Rugby no longer appears to be the pinnacle of a players career!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    Not too sure what you mean Gigs. There would be hardly any international player world wide who turns out for club rugby these days. Sure you don't mean Super 15.
    Yes I do mean super 15, but I shortened it for pithiness.

And yes, I agree that we are at the top of a slippery slope which threatens to make Super Rugby into a poor second cousin of the FFA (Or even more of a poor second cousin than we are right now)

I was just pointing out that NZ are not exempt from the temptation to plug the gap with some creative selection.

If the All Blacks start to lose some of their well earned gloss, you watch Steve Tew run towards a similar policy to get the International game moving again. The Springboks started it about 5 or 10 years ago and now they don't give two shits where you play your provincial level rugby.

I think it's inevitable that the teams that aren't happy with their ranking will try something to get the better players back from Europe (I say that because the better players are the ones that will go to Europe after the massive incomes they can generate) If something's not done, we run the very real risk of the cashed up European clubs buying a world cup for the northern hemisphere. Of course, If we're not effective in finding a way to keep players in Super Rugby we run the very real risk of the competition being a second-class regional tournament.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    ...You only have to look at the pacific island nations who's players aren't being released for WC this year, Argies not being released for the RC...
    Exactly, you'd at least think the World Rugby/IRB would do something about that, it's their flagship tournament FFS!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4