Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ELITE GROUP OF OVERSEAS-BASED PLAYERS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR QANTAS WALLABIES

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post
    The ARU will change this in time to 50 tests, and then 40, and then.....
    My point exactly.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post
    The ARU will change this in time to 50 tests, and then 40, and then.....
    .....however many needed to suit what Folau wants to do.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Fourthed. As I understood it from radio commentary, they must also commit to return to Australian Rugby the year following selection. Wonder if Bianca is homesick.
    I didn't hear that yet.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    While I would like to see Gits here if he really has turned himself around, I'm sure a lot of Force fans have long memories and may not be as welcoming.

Hell, I want him in the Wallaby squad and yet still have reservations about him playing here.
    I'd be one of those force fans to whom you refer and I would be OK with it.

C'mon the

vCash
    Melbourne Rebels skipper and Wallaby back-rower Scott Higginbotham says the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) should open Test eligibility to all rather than put a number on it.

In a change of policy, overseas players are now eligible for Wallaby selection if they meet the criteria of having played at least 60 Tests and also held contracts with the ARU for seven seasons or more.

To Higginbotham, who has 31 Test caps, the horse has already bolted with flexible deals on offer and players eligible to play for Australia by signing a Super Rugby deal for the following season, such as former NSW Waratah Dean Mumm.

"I think it's a bit ridiculous to put a number on this sort of thing," Higginbotham told AAP.

"They're at a point where they're letting blokes play overseas and then come back, like Bernard Foley.

"To then put a limit on your 60 caps or years signed with the ARU, it's a bit of a waste of time.

"You've already said to Foley and those guys you can come back and play so you should just open it up to everyone.

"I can't see what they're trying to achieve."

Higginbotham believed it was inevitable the ARU would open the selection door with enough players unhappy with the strict ruling.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...-higginbotham/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I'd be one of those force fans to whom you refer and I would be OK with it.
    Yeah but you're biased, I still remember what GIGS20 stands for

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    If you do, then you'll also remember the complete backflip I did when he didnt fulfill the standard I set.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    If you do, then you'll also remember the complete backflip I did when he didnt fulfill the standard I set.
    A second time might give you renewed hope though

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Pretty sure I wrote a post on GIGS20 needing to go for a name change when Gits left.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    IF memory serves me right - and at my age its starting to get a bit dodgy. Gits form when he left the Force and returned to the Brumbies was not the best. His form for the Wallabies that year wasn't any better. Whilst some may say that he and Deans may not have seen eye to eye. His form slump was the reason why he was dropped from the Wallabies Squad in the first place.

That is why he chose to move to south of France.

His form in France has improved and there is no denying his class as a player.

But - what about the guys that he is taking a spot in the world cup squad from??

The 5 Inside Centres that have been busting their collective asses in Super Rugby/NRC/Club Rugby for the last 6-8 years in the hope of making it to the Rugby World Cup Squad. I am sure some of them have even turned down money from offers from France/UK/Japan so that they are eligible for the Rugby World Cup. Its a bit of a slap in the face for them.

BUT - THE ARU needs the money and success at the Rugby World Cup is paramount for our next round of Wallaby Sponsors.

Its just a little unfortunate that standards and practices take a back seat to results and dollars.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    IF memory serves me right - and at my age its starting to get a bit dodgy. Gits form when he left the Force and returned to the Brumbies was not the best. His form for the Wallabies that year wasn't any better.
    Not to flog a dead horse, but he was also the catalyst for at least three well known rugby identities to develop very public attitude problems of their own and earn similar vitriol from me that was directed to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    But - what about the guys that he is taking a spot in the world cup squad from??

The 5 Inside Centres that have been busting their collective asses in Super Rugby/NRC/Club Rugby for the last 6-8 years in the hope of making it to the Rugby World Cup Squad. I am sure some of them have even turned down money from offers from France/UK/Japan so that they are eligible for the Rugby World Cup. Its a bit of a slap in the face for them.
    the inside centres you are talking about are Matt Toomoua and Kurtley Beale...the other names on the list aren't really even considered an option until injury forces them to pick outside that pair. With Toomua you are correct, he has worked for his spot and deserves the respect. I think we all know how I feel about Beale, the ARU have bent over backwards for a talentless hack who has some X-factor even Quade has learned to just shut his mouth and play some rugby, but not Beale.

I say bring Gits in, even if he's there as depth and not as a starter, he would ably cover several positions in our backline (just not halfback) and he seems to have developed his game and his brain in France.

C'mon the

vCash
    MATT Giteau has admitted he is unsure if he is still up to playing for the Wallabies after a four-year absence from Test rugby — but he’s keen to find out.

The ARU’s decision to relax eligibility rules to allow stars with 60 caps or more to be picked from overseas was dubbed “the Giteau clause” given the outstanding form of the 92-cap Wallaby in France.

The 32-year-old followed up the ARU’s policy change by leading Toulon to a record third consecutive European Cup last weekend, along with fellow Australian and new World Cup candidate Drew Mitchell.

Speaking to FoxSports’ Rugby HQ last night, Giteau conceded the Top 14 was a different standard to Super Rugby and said he was in the dark about whether his game would still hold up in the Test cauldron.

“It is different. There is no question it is different. The game over here is a bit slower to Super Rugby,” Giteau said.

“As far as Test rugby, it’s really, really hard for me to say. The last time I played was in 2011.

“If am chosen, if I am selected, I would love to be a part of it (but) I haven’t played at that level, so I don’t know if I am up for it. “That’s probably the biggest question. I would certainly love to test myself and give myself every chance to have a go at it.

“But there is no certainly no promises there. You just go out and test yourself. If you’re not up for it, you’re not up for it so you won’t be chosen.”

Giteau said while he was pleased with the ARU’s new stance on eligibility, he read it more designed for Australian players due to arrive in Europe in 2016 and beyond than for him.

“Over here there is a lot of press on it as well, on the rules being relaxed. But for us, nothing has changed,” Giteau said.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/r...-1227343815897

vCash
    Just at a lunch where Cheika spoke, he reckons he'll be calling the 3 overseas players next week to see if they're keen on returning. Also the Wallabies captain will be Hooper or Moore

Laugh and the world laughs with you.......
    ......cry and you'll weaken your beer

vCash
    Hooper as capt would presumably mean he is also the first-choice 7 over Poey. Shame (unless Poey gets injured)

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Hooper as capt would presumably mean he is also the first-choice 7 over Poey. Shame (unless Poey gets injured)
    Was always going to be. if cheika liked the traditional fetcher 7 he would have given our illustrious captain more game time on the last wallaby tour. When Pocock has burnt Dagg for pace (and is playing for the tahs) he'll get the nod.

Non sunt multiplicanda entia sine necessitate

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast