Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tell me it aint so: Waratahs aim for Benny Mac

vCash

Tell me it aint so: Waratahs aim for Benny Mac

I just saw this awful article on foxsports:

THE Waratahs will step up their efforts to sign Western Force backrower Ben McCalman after it emerged long-serving enforcer Wycliff Palu will leave Australian rugby at the end of the World Cup to see out his career in Japan.

The pursuit of McCalman, which was revealed by the Daily Telegraph last week, has great potential to come off given the 26-year-old has failed to agree to terms with the Force despite being in negotiations for weeks.

Waratahs make Ben McCalman a priority

Tell me it aint so, this is just unfair they want to nab the best player from a weak franchise to strengthen the strongest.

Are we dragging our feet or is the ARU manoeuvring to force him to the Waratahs

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Going to need a tin foil hat for this one....

vCash
    How do you see it then Jargan? Anything constructive to add? I've noticed you're quite good at one-liners on other people's thoughts and posts but I rarely see you show your hand on anything or commence much constructive debate. It would be good to see your thinking :-)

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    I don't see any comments from the Force or McCalman, however the ES media are pretty good at convincing players to play for the Tahs.

He'll take a guaranteed start for the Warrabies and a massive ground hire fee into consideration and we'll be stuck looking for another superstar to build.

It is what it is, and you can't begrudge Ben for it....I just despair over the purchasing power NSW seem to be able to bring to the table, they contract an entire team of international players with Wallabies sitting on the bench and we can only afford half a dozen.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    How do you see it then Jargan? Anything constructive to add? I've noticed you're quite good at one-liners on other people's thoughts and posts but I rarely see you show your hand on anything or commence much constructive debate. It would be good to see your thinking :-)
    Most people on here will blame the ARU for a potential move for Benny Mac regardless of his motivation. I have no doubt that the unfair contracting practises of the ARU may play a part but Benny Mac doesn't strike me a money hungry mercenary type.

My thoughts are if he goes, he goes. Of course I would rather he stay here but he's from Dubbo and if he wants to go home I won't begrudge him that. Sydney is not Dubbo, but it's alot closer and Dubbo is a nice country town in NSW that I've visted many times growing up due to having family out there myself. You yourself said family is imprtant to him so that would probably be something that might bring him home.

Ultimately players want to play in succesful sides. I know it can be said that a player can stay and develop success.

It could very well be a combo of these factors that get McCalman over the line for NSW.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by jargan83; 13-03-15 at 10:01.

vCash
    Macalman has been here and played his heart out. If he goes nobody can begrudge him. Hopefully he stays but I'd still shake his hand if he went

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Well said Jargan! Can't begrudge him going IF he does. Let's just hope the Force can put a deal together to make Perth a preferable home!
    The way he has developed over the last couple of years makes me wonder if the Force should ask for a transfer fee!😉

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    It will be interesting to keep track of this, in light of the Michael Hooper move from the Brumbies.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    It will be interesting to keep track of this, in light of the Michael Hooper move from the Brumbies.
    Adam Ashley-Cooper from the Brumbies would be bigger. Hooper was only on the verge of the Wallabies when he signed for NSW.

It'd be interesting to see how many Waratahs players were actually playing International Footy when contracted and compare that to the other teams.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    From an Australian team perspective this is a national competition and there needs to be an even distribution of player talent across the 5 Australian Super Rugby teams. It does no good for the development of rugby in WA to have our best players sucked down the Warratahs drain over east.

The Force need to take a look at a team like the Green Bay Packers in the NFL. A small town team who have a very loyal supporter base (much like us) and they contend for Championships year after year despite not having the same financial purchasing power etc. Players go there because they have a history of success, good coaching and good players.

We need a couple of years of sustained success, making the playoffs, good coaching, facilities etc and then the Force will be a more attractive destination. We have been too much of an up and down team for players to make the jump across. Build some sustained success and we won't have to contend with the player drain as much.

God I hope we smash the Rebels tonight. Bring it on!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    The only reason Hooper went to NSW was because the gluesticks signed Pocock.

Champion
    vCash
    Agree Jargon 100% ...actually like to see him have the captaincy...would this swing him to stay....lose him and I would say Matt H will retire after this season....here we go again rebuilding all over again...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Adam Ashley-Cooper from the Brumbies would be bigger. Hooper was only on the verge of the Wallabies when he signed for NSW.
    Good point, forgot about that.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDAVEY View Post
    Agree Jargon 100% ...actually like to see him have the captaincy...would this swing him to stay....lose him and I would say Matt H will retire after this season....here we go again rebuilding all over again...
    Maybe that is why he isn't captain...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Most people on here will blame the ARU for a potential move for Benny Mac regardless of his motivation. I have no doubt that the unfair contracting practises of the ARU may play a part but Benny Mac doesn't strike me a money hungry mercenary type.

My thoughts are if he goes, he goes. Of course I would rather he stay here but he's from Dubbo and if
    he wants to go home I won't begrudge him that. Sydney is not Dubbo, but it's alot closer and Dubbo is a nice country town in NSW that I've visted many times growing up due to having family out there myself. You yourself said family is imprtant to him so that would probably be something that might bring him home.

Ultimately players want to play in succesful sides. I know it can be said that a player can stay and develop success.

It could very well be a combo of these factors that get McCalman over the line for NSW.
    I like your thinking, and totally agree :-)

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast