Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tell me it aint so: Waratahs aim for Benny Mac

vCash
    If the ARU is genuine in saying that supporting the "developing markets" is one of its priorities, then this is the perfect opportunity to prove it and to demonstrate that it is not simply a puppet of the NSWRU.

If Benny does end up at the Tahs, the ARU will show itself to be the eunuch I believe it to be. It will also confirm for me that we are nothing more than a breeding ground for future Waratahs (and to a lesser extent, future Reds).

If Benny resigns with the Force, it will fill me with confidence that the ARU does actually want rugby union to be a truly national sport.

My jury is impatient to announce its verdict!!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    The trouble is that the Tahs will be promising Benny the world. Play at the Tahs & you're guaranteed Wallabies selection - if you don't come to Tahs, Cheika won't pick ya cos you're not a Tah. Damned if you do and damned if you don't!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    It sucks! It really does! Poor old Benny :-(

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    The trouble is that the Tahs will be promising Benny the world. Play at the Tahs & you're guaranteed Wallabies selection - if you don't come to Tahs, Cheika won't pick ya cos you're not a Tah. Damned if you do and damned if you don't!
    Class shines through no matter what team your in. Performance warrants selection......Benny doesn't need to go anywhere unless its for his own reasons. Cheika isn't that one eyed. He'll still want to drive the Ferrari even if it's parked in the neighbours garage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    If the ARU is genuine in saying that supporting the "developing markets" is one of its priorities, then this is the perfect opportunity to prove it and to demonstrate that it is not simply a puppet of the NSWRU.

If Benny does end up at the Tahs, the ARU will show itself to be the eunuch I believe it to be. It will also confirm for me that we are nothing more than a breeding ground for future Waratahs (and to a lesser extent, future Reds).

If Benny resigns with the Force, it will fill me with confidence that the ARU does actually want rugby union to be a truly national sport.

My jury is impatient to announce its verdict!!
    so it's the ARU's fault even though if Ben goes it's his decision to go? seeing as the ARU can't force him to go

vCash
    It's annoying when you think of the stick the Force got for "poaching" Sharpie back at the start, and now the likes of the Waratahs (and the other Aussie clubs) can come along and take players we've developed and turned into Internationals - Ben McCalman being the latest...!

If he were to go though, they should look at someone like Warren Whitely from the Lions as a replacement. He was brilliant against the rabble last night, and showed what a good leader he is as well...!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    It's not Ben who is the real problem with the tahs. In essence, it's people like Hooper. He wasn't even really a fringe Wallaby at the Brumbies, certainly not getting a top up, but a couple of seasons later he's the Wallaby Captain and I'd bet London to a brick that wouldn't have happened if he stayed at the brums (and not because he was behind Pocock, Pocock is made of eggshells) The top ups going to players who don't deserve Wallaby selection but play for NSW and Qld is the problem, those players don't need to be paid anywhere near as much out of the Tahs salary cap and therefore they can afford to pay a lot more genuine wallabies on top of that.

Think of Cliff Palu, he's a good Super Rugby player, but not an international standard forward, yet he's played plenty of Tests and made a heap of money on the side simply based on media hype that he's a "damaging ball runner" he wouldn't get half of what the tahs can afford to pay him anywhere else, because he'd lose the media support and therefore the top up.

Hodgo Os right, the inequitable top up system and the shady financial makeup of the Tahs and the Reds is the problem. Fix that and you fix Aussie rugby. (well a big part of it anyway)

C'mon the

vCash
    Re. Hopper.
    I think that the SMH made him the captain over more worthy candidates. He isn't a captain and shouldn't have been selected. But the relentless media campaign by the newspaper enabled him to be captain and the coach folded. Link was still being controlled by the old boys @ the NSWRU, which is ultimately why he quit. Time will tell what Chekia does, but I think he will go the same way

Last edited by jono; 21-03-15 at 08:10. Reason: Typing too fast on phone

vCash
    Cheika was APPOINTED by the old boys at the NSWRU. The only possible difference I had hopes of seeing was that he was able to sort the whole sorry mess out last year and still make the Tahs win. It doesn't appear to have worked with the Wobblies, however it's a bit much to expect him to achieve it instantly.

Whether he's their bum boy or not will be the question. If he's the golden child because they think he has "good rugby pedigree" (ie he's from Randwick) then hell be able to get them to agree with the changes that need to happen for the Wallabies. I don't know how that'll look, I suspect it'll mean cleaning out the dead wood from the tahs and replacing it with quality players who can then get their chance at international stardom. (Cliff Palu - Benny Mac style)

If Sean McMahon, Luke Jones and Mitch Inman suddenly sign for the Tahs at the end of their contracts I have high hopes for the Wallabies.

Of course every provincial team in Australia that doesn't wear poofter blue will be f£€ked, but that's a different story.

C'mon the

vCash
    Yeah good point. But I think if anyone is going to tell the old windbags to shove it, it'll be chekia - he doesn't need the money and is only there because he wants to be.

The main issue here is that pulver is as spineless as JO'N was @ the end. The underlying issues need a board spill @ the ARU to begin to change things.

vCash
    And that's never going to happen unless the Australian Government force it.

That's why Cheika, with an ability to work within the current incestuous structure is possibly the only hope.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post

That's why Cheika, with an ability to work within the current incestuous structure is possibly the only hope.
    The only way the government will step in is if the ARU goes broke :/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    A. Abbott = Sydney Uni RFC.
    M. Turnbull = Sydney Uni RFC.
    J. Hockey = Sydney Uni RFC.

....and they are likely going to do squat.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I see this thread has turned into a communist rant.
    Lets get a few things straight.
    1. McCalman turned himself into a wallaby through endless pain in the gym and training paddock and through effort and contribution on match day. "We" did fark all. He has paid a lot of blood and sweat and we owe him nothing. Job satisfaction comes from many things and money isnt one of them. Humans have a fundamental need for progression...ie they like to improve. When they stop growing, they leave. People buy into a shared vision. If there isnt one, they leave. People like good management and leadership. If the organisation is a clusterf_ck they will leave. People want what they feel they are worth. McCalman will get what he is worth wherever he goes. The other reasons will determine his decision.
    2. To suggest Hooper made the wallabies because he is a Tah is absurd. Since he grew up in Sydney, he merely went home to his friends and where he felt happy. Canberra is a sh1thole.
    Listening to Hooper speak gives an insight into his mindset. He is very articulate and his comments are always intelligent and considered. There is a sense that he loves the tough stuff and is genuinely excited about physically dominating opponents and opposition teams. He is fiercely competitive, tougher than most humans on the planet and enormously talented. He is a natural leader who leads by example but also with his attitude. He inspires confidence in those around him because you know he wants to spill his own blood for the cause. He is a little green but has the rugby and leadership talents to be one of our greats.
    Its that farking simple. He is that good. It has nothing to do with his jersey.
    Cheika is from outside the establishment. He hires for talent not tie....which is why he delivers results.

Controversy corner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Messup View Post
    1. McCalman turned himself into a wallaby through endless pain in the gym and training paddock and through effort and contribution on match day. "We" did fark all.........
    Surely "we" have to get credit for giving him his break into Super Rugby though....?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast