Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Solutions

Player
    vCash
    The bigger question for me is what has happened to our forwards. We can shuffle the backline as much as we want but it will be meaningless if the forwards are getting smashed. They manned up in the first game against the Tahs and we won that comfortably. Against the Reds and the Canes they have been smashed, and we have then been hammered.
    The success from last year was that we managed to build a team that could defend strongly. While we didn't score many tries, we didn't concede many either. We trusted each player to do what they needed to do and then capitalised on mistakes. This year we are all over the place. Our forwards manned up and the backs could bring anyone down. This year the forwards are being pushed around by backs and the backs are not covering their positions.
    This team is capable of much better. Sure there are a few key injuries (Badger, Hodgson, Coleman, Alcock) but last year the reserves carried on what the starters did. What has happened in the off season?

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    3nd round and it seems the wheels are falling off already.......

We need some consistency and to achieve this I think firstly we need to fix the forwards. Not a easy task considering we have been touched up a little and have men down and unavailable.

I would start coleman and steenkamp at lock with steenkamp to make the calls. Our lineouts have been very predictable which is why we have lost so many. Not sure cheese or tessman's throwing is that bad. Koteka did not look out of place. I would give him more time at 7 to see if he can make the step up to super rugby and rotate mafi at 6 and stander at 8. Really think even though it is early days we need to make sure we can manage Cottrell and McCalman to ensure that they don't go down as well.

For all the talk about Holmes at 10 I don't think he has made any difference when he has played there. Start with the settled combination of alby and sias. Godwin needs to go back to 12. He had a quiet year last year and has continued in the same fashion this year. Maybe he has put on too much weight to play like he used to. Brache at 13 for his defense. Morahan and the badger at wing and give Nikora a run at fullback. He can deputise for sias for place kicking as well. He has a prodigious boot off the T if youtube is to be believed. Cross fingers for DHP, alcock and Hodgson to return asap.

Give cheese the captain's armband if pek not playing.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Like Burton?

He kicked well off the tee and certainly proved his worth when he has got the chance.

As for the rest of what you say, I agree 100% it's 96.85% attitude and any rotation of team positions before that is fixed is simply shuffling deck chairs.

C'mon the

vCash
    It's odd to see the technical aspects in our tackling has fallen off in the last two weeks, we are usually a very good side technically, it's the big picture stuff where we lack innovation.

Hopefully it's just a small set-back to be wrinkled out, so we can back on with developing our overall gameplan and building on what we had last year.

Individually, the forwards couldn't get their hit-up game going, but the technical forward play aspects are still there. Would be interesting to see if we go down the path of creating more drives and mauls from open play when in possession. I think we can recycle well, but I'm not sure if the repetitive phase game suits us. I wonder if going all in with the forwards and making more yardage with less phases, forcing the backs to score or bust, would allow some of the more elusive runners to finish. We had a knack of scoring more tries from longer range before, should we back our maul and give it a go?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    I am really perplexed by what's gone wrong in the last two games as the players and coaching staff are all pretty much the same as last year when our defence was awesome. As Foley said, it surely can't all be down to the Hodgo factor? If it is, we're in trouble as he's not going to be in the squad forever.

Ah well, this week's a brand new week so, GO FORCE versus the Brumbies on Friday!!!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Red Carded
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I am really perplexed by what's gone wrong in the last two games as the players and coaching staff are all pretty much the same as last year when our defence was awesome. As Foley said, it surely can't all be down to the Hodgo factor? If it is, we're in trouble as he's not going to be in the squad forever.

Ah well, this week's a brand new week so, GO FORCE versus the Brumbies on Friday!!!
    There lies part of the problem
    Last year was last year teams move on develop strategies to stop each other's game plans
    Goodwin has been shut down with no Room to move wether he was at 12 or 13 he would still be shut down
    After a good season he is now the hunted and with a weak forward pack it only makes it harder if he is the messiah his class needs to rise above and show his class as this week he faces the wallabies centre pairing
    No easy games in this comp

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    All very interesting. I think Zack showed enough of his exceptional speed in 2nd and 3rd phase attacks to have another crack at 10. Kyle should move back to 12 and use him and Zack as playmakers either side of the breakdown after the 1st phase. Gives us more attacking options plus a strong runner and defender close to the ruck. DHP at 13 and Rasolea on one wing Cummings the other wing and the Safer at fullback.
    Still need the forwards to get their combined fingers out and get us across the gain line.
    Quality set piece ball would be handy.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post

Old sporting adage which applies to the last year.

"Never as good as it seems; not as bad as it appears" or something like that.

They actually need to play some rugby full stop.

Last edited by Reds81; 02-03-15 at 19:37.

vCash
    The next few weeks will be a big test for Foley - can he turn this situation around? We aren't chock full of talent, but we weren't last year either and yet he managed to get the best out of the cattle he had. Thecurrent situation is a very big test for our coach and he needs to respond decisively for all the people that keep supporting our team.

Hopefully he can engender a high level of motivation and discipline in the forwards to stop us being completely dominated the way we have been for the last two weeks, if he can do that and fix the defensive holes that appeared last week, it gives us the best chance of showing something in attack

Personally, I would leave Zac at 10 for the moment, he showed some encouraging signs (and speed) last week and I can't help but feel that Sias is shy when it comes to the contact zone, he also needs a lot of confidence to perform and that is hard to find when the team is under pressure.

DHP at fullback would be good and Badger on the wing will at least add some go forward (and hopefully some much-needed kick chasing). Kyle needs to play 12, but he also needs to remember he has players outside him, he is not the only answer!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2