Thread: Nick ‘Honey Badger’ Cummins returns to Western Force

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Nick ‘Honey Badger’ Cummins returns to Western Force

Jim Tucker Exclusive
    The Courier-Mail
    February 22, 2015 10:00PM

HONEY Badger-san is back from Japan with a full clearance for the World Cup and the code-changing call that the Wallabies should select players based abroad.

Rugby’s cult hero Nick Cummins landed in Perth from Japan on Saturday with his hair, his energy and his unique vocabulary as big as ever.

In an exclusive interview, he revealed the deal finalised with Australian rugby and his Japanese club had freed him for an eight-month crack at success with the Western Force and Wallabies.

“The World Cup is the big aim but it all depends on selection … if I’m not needed by the Wallabies I’ll move back to Japan earlier,” Cummins said.

“Every year there are new wing contenders so my oath it’s a good field with Horny (Rob Horne), Henry Speight, Adam Ashley-Cooper in his last hurrah and the rest.

“Whoever performs best deserves the World Cup (trip) I’d reckon.”

The start of the Top League season in Japan has been delayed until the World Cup semi-final weekend in late October and Cummins has the blessing of his Coca-Cola West Red Sparks team to play through until the October 31 final if the Wallabies make it.

“They are an honourable bunch of blokes at my Japanese club. I’m really appreciative that I have this chance,” Cummins said.

Cummins’ broad cult appeal will be confirmed today when he officially joins a sponsorship stable inhabited by some of sport’s greatest.

A deal with global sportswear brand Under Armour makes him a poster boy beside NFL icon Tom Brady, tennis ace Andy Murray, golfer Jordan Spieth and NBA sure shot Stephen Curry.

“Tom Brady is apparently a pretty big deal. I’m not getting carried away with myself … having the right wheels to feel fast and strong is what it’s about for me,” Cummins said.

“The day prior to the second Test against France last year I tried on a pair of Under Armour’s ClutchFit boots. Normally I need to wear my boots in over a few weeks but from the get-go the fit was legit.

“I gotta say the long tights were great in Japan with the snow around but I reckon Perth’s weather will be OK.”

An arthroscope last month to remove floating bone pieces in his left ankle will likely put off his Force return until March 6 in Canberra.

What a comeback date going up against ACT Brumbies Test wingers Joe Tomane and Speight.

“Massive. I better kick the tyres and light the fires,” Cummins said.

“These first few days I’ll get my bearings back at the Force. The boys had an excellent start to the season against the NSW Waratahs and I want to have a good crack with them this season.

“I really enjoy playing in front of our Sea of Blue (fans) in Perth. That gets a rocket right up ya to perform.”

Diving over for a try at Twickenham last November for the Barbarians against the Wallabies only strengthened his lust to wear the gold jersey again.

“That was an unreal experience and it lit something inside,” Cummins said before using Badger-speak to stress how much he wanted to get back in the Wallabies mix.

“I spoke in London to the head sherang (coach Michael Cheika) and just said ‘get me on the burst’.”

The 15-Test symbol of bull-at-a-gate running and spark within any team said his first season in Japan had given him a more worldly view of the Wallabies one day selecting Aussie stars direct from overseas clubs.

“It’s the way of the game, the next step, which has already been taken by a number of other teams,” Cummins said.

“You can hold it off for as long as you can but at the end of the day we’re going to get to that point.

“It’s a great idea. Selection still comes down to performance and you pick up older heads who’ve got a new thirst for the game but also skills they have further developed.

“Look, a guy like (NSW Waratahs lock) Kane Douglas in Ireland you want back somehow because his big, physical presence on the field is crucial to win Test matches full stop.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/su...-1227234485202

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    More people should use the word "blokes"..
    A very good woody word..

cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

vCash
    Welcome Home Badger-San

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Welcome home bloke.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    We are seriously thinking of rocking up with a #giddyup banner..

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

vCash
    Angry badger shuts down luxury Stockholm hotel, forces police to intervene
    Posted Fri at 9:42pm

Badger looks for food
    PHOTO: European badgers, especially males, can be aggressively territorial. (Reuters: Stefan Wermuth, file)
    MAP: Sweden
    A luxury hotel in central Stockholm has come under siege by an ill-tempered badger that refused to allow any guests in or out, forcing police to intervene.

"A crazy or stressed-out badger is preventing the staff and clients at a major hotel from leaving their cars and from picking up their bags," the Swedish capital's police website said.

The Radisson Blu badger crisis began at around 5:00 am and lasted some 40 minutes.

"The stressed animal was refusing to leave the place. So the police called in the local wildlife services to settle the problem," the police statement said.

It remains unclear why the badger was angry.

The leafy Swedish capital has many forests, lakes and canals that are home to many species of wildlife including elks and hare.