Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wykes speaks

vCash

Wykes speaks

Western Force : 'It just wasn't good enough'

Article Published: Saturday 21 February 2015

Western Force captain Sam Wykes has admitted that their performance against the Reds in Brisbane, "just wasn't good enough."

The Force were beaten 18-6 by an enthusiastic Reds team who overcame a week of off field troubles including the loss of flyhalf James O'Connor minutes before kick off.

With the match threatened by Tropical Cyclone Marcia, the Force was unable to cross the try line, with its six points coming from two penalty goals to flyhalf Sias Ebersohn.

The Queenslanders held an 11-6 lead at the break, adding a penalty try in the second term to seal the 12-point victory.

Force captain Sam Wykes admitted after the match that they will need to be a lot better next week when they host the Hurricanes in Perth.

"Our set piece was ordinary; we turned over ball at scrum time and lineout time. It's just wasn't good enough.

"The Reds stepped up tonight and they were quality. They were in there for the fight and we didn't match that tonight.

"We'll review this and we'll be ready for the Hurricanes next week. We'll review [this game], we'll flush it and move on.”

Head coach Michael Foley admitted that he was disappointed with the Force's effort after last week's victory over the Waratahs.

"It was a disappointing performance; we got out-enthused at the breakdown and we got beaten at the set piece," said Foley.

"If you can't get the core elements of the game right, you're not going to get a result," added Foley.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

vCash
    Hopefully during the week Captain Plodder can find his spine.

vCash
    Sam could possibly explain why he decided to not step up as captain this week instead of laying down belly up. Would like a bit more aggro attitude from Wykesy at times instead of the laid back "bit too hard" attitude. In other words "F'n snap out of it and start liftin your arse for the team FFS!" Spend a bit less time chundering on the field and give more support to your mates when they need it.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Sorry but frustration is taking over.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Just bear in mind that a lot of people were calling for Matt Hodgson to be benched for Chris Alcock after the first two games last season. He went on to have a fantastic season. I have my doubts about Wykes. I am not impressed with his line-out work and I wonder about his input in scrums, but lets not rush into condemning him.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Rookie
    vCash
    I have never thought he was physically strong enough to play super rugby and overcome opposition second rowers

vCash
    Sam Wykes seems to be condemned for how he played before 2014.
    Like it or lump it he's the most reliable (stays on the pitch even when he's chucking over his mates boots) and best performing lock that we have.

My impression is that Wykes has improved significantly and that's supported by any stats you wish to review.

He had the most ruck engagements (24) for the Western Force against the Reds - more than Faulkner (19) and McCalman (14) who also played for 80 minutes and more than Alcock (14 in 68 min) and Cottrell (20 in 56 min) and Charles (17 in 56 min).
    He generally hits more rucks than McCalman with about the same timing and impact.

Only McCalman (10) had more tackles than Wykes (8).

He carried the ball further than Cottrell, Alcock or Charles.

He also earned a turn-over - something that Cottrell and McCalman couldn't achieve.

Plus he had to handle the extra burden of being Captain - not something that he was expecting 4 weeks ago.

The squad is not going to change before season's end.

I suggest that it needs our support not our bagging (some of which seems resurface no matter how well the WF perform.

It's a valid reminder by James that many TWF pundits were calling for Hodgo's scalp this time last year.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by andrewg; 24-02-15 at 09:27.

vCash
    Also dont forget he captained the Perth Spirit to this years NRC Grand Final.

Anyone who has played sport knows that when you are flat and lethargic it is very, very difficult to rectify in game. Love him or hate him Wykesy has giving a lot to the Force over his time here and deserves more time to prove himself a super rugby leader. He has started the build up to next weekends game by identifying the core problem of the performance against the Reds and is looking to lead the turnaround.

Also i cannot stress this enough: [U]It is only round 2.[U]
    We are sitting on the exact same number of wins and losses as last years 2 best teams. The Brumbies had a 2nd round loss too after a great 1st round result. Perspective people.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NTT View Post
    We are sitting on the exact same number of wins and losses as last years 2 best teams. The Brumbies had a 2nd round loss too after a great 1st round result. Perspective people.
    Yes. Both away games. Blind Freddie knows they are hard to come by in SR. Moreso for a team crossing the continent again, on a short turn around and after a brutal match in Sydney. Extremely difficult to get up for the next game, to get over the expectation that the Reds would be a bit easier than the Tahs.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Before the season started I would hazard to say that most on here would have been delighted coming away from that two game trip east with 5 points

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Agree on that TIF. But the downer for me was that we showed such huge ticker against the Tahs only to go to pieces against the Reds. The mantra this year is back-to-back....

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    To compare the Force loss to the Brumbies loss is laughable. The Brunbies showed heaps of fight and went down at the siren.

Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Agree on that TIF. But the downer for me was that we showed such huge ticker against the Tahs only to go to pieces against the Reds. The mantra this year is back-to-back....
    Exactly the point. I could have copped the loss if the Firce actually showed some ticker but they were hopeless in Saturday night and went down fairly meekly.

vCash
    BUT.........

I reckon that Sam Wykes isn't fit enough to play for 80 minutes and this in itself should question his ability to be Captain.

IMO the Force should have been pinged for time wasting against the Tahs and most of this was because Sam was struggling to keep up with the game.

I don't think that it was in the WF's best interest to slow the game down when they clearly had the upper hand against the Tahs.

Sam Wykes needs to put in the extra kms to still be contributing right to the end!!

vCash
    It's a pretty hard way to make a living so criticism seems unfair. Wykes isnt fit enough to play super rugby. It is also questionable whether he is talented enough. I doubt there is another franchise that would want him.
    Say what you will...the Reds game may come back to haunt us. We should have won that. Hunt and OConnor out just before kickoff. Frisby played 10 and was amateurish. The Reds would have been flogged by every other team in the comp. The Force were poor.
    I was very impressed with Liam Gill. He was a pest and was awesome at stealing the squeeze ball between the legs which is hard to get at. Gill looks like he has a bit more meat on his bones as well.
    Mafi looks like an athlete. Wykes doesnt. Wykes has a few tackles on the stat sheet but everything he does lacks impact.
    McCalman should have got the c
    Wykes needs to go play subbies, have some green ginger wine, and waddle 40m behind the play, walk to every set piece and spew. Its expected in z grade. Its not acceptable in elite professional rugby.

Controversy corner

vCash
    Dp

Controversy corner

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast