Thread: Wallabies searching for Super heroes

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Wallabies searching for Super heroes

Justin Chadwick
    February 6, 2015, 11:11 am

You've heard of X-Men. Well, the Wallabies will be praying a host of X-factors come good during a Super Rugby campaign that doubles as a World Cup selection scrap.

Will code hopper Karmichael Hunt follow in the footsteps of Israel Folau by becoming a rugby union star?

Wallabies searching for Super heroes

Can James O'Connor erase his bad boy reputation and finally realise his potential?

And is this the year when the injury curse on David Pocock is finally lifted?

Those questions and many more will be answered during a Super Rugby season that starts next week andt is expected to feature a strong showing from Australian franchises led by defending champions NSW Waratahs.

Hunt looms as the most intriguing prospect heading toward the World Cup in September.

With Quade Cooper nursing a fractured collarbone, new arrival Hunt is being trialled at five eighth by the Queensland Reds before settling into fullback.

Folau was a revelation after ending his AFL experiment to take up rugby, but fellow former NRL star Hunt has little time to prove his successful transition before the World Cup.

Pocock was once rated alongside Richie McCaw as the best openside flanker in the world.

But two years wrecked by knee injuries mean the 26-year-old has to prove himself all over again to earn a World Cup berth, with his task made harder by the emergence of Wallabies skipper Michael Hooper.

O'Connor's talent and versatility is undeniable. But his misdemeanours off the field made his position at the Wallabies untenable in 2013.

The 24-year-old utility back ventured overseas in a bid to revive his career, and says he has returned a changed man.

Time will tell. But Wallabies coach Michael Cheika would doubtless welcome his versatility in his World Cup plans.

Like O'Connor, dynamic Kurtley Beale has committed his share of misdemeanours, and he will face challenges from the likes of World Cup smokey Kyle Godwin and Cooper for the Australian No.12 jersey.

Nick Cummins will also demand close attention - for numerous reasons.

The Honey Badger is available for World Cup selection again after convincing his Japanese club Red Sparks to loan him back to the Force for a season.

His growing list of classic quotes has helped build a cult following, but Cummins is also a seriously good rugby player capable of causing major damage out wide.

Cummins will battle the likes of Adam Ashley-Cooper, Henry Speight, Joe Tomane, Rob Horne and O'Connor for spots on the wing.

The halves combination between Will Genia and Cooper worked wonders in the past. But the pair have plenty to prove over the coming months if they are to jump over the top of Waratahs duo Nick Phipps and Bernard Foley.

Melbourne's Auckland-born rake Pat Leafa has set his sights on usurping Stephen Moore and Tatafu Polota-Nau for the Wallabies' No.2 jersey, while former Test skipper James Horwill faces a battle to lock down a spot in the second row - a problem area for Cheika.

Many eyes will also be on 140kg Waratahs lock Will Skelton to see if he can continue his rise up the ranks.

Lingering concussion issues grounded No.8 Wycliff Palu during the latter stages of 2014, and more woes could end his World Cup dream.

Prop James Slipper and tight-head Sekope Kepu are big keys to Australia's scrum fortunes, but Cheika will be hoping for added depth in the area to avoid late-match crumbles.

The NSW Waratahs won last season's Super Rugby title, and they again loom as Australia's best hope for the title if their Test-laden squad stay fit and firing.

ARU boss Bill Pulver has boldly predicted three Australian teams will feature in this year's finals.

But the end goal is the World Cup, and Australia will need their X-factors firing on full cylinders if they are to have any chance of beating the all-conquering All Blacks.

LAST SEASON'S SUPER RUGBY RESULTS FOR AUSTRALIAN TEAMS

1st: Waratahs - Won 12, Lost 4 (regular season); champions

4th: Brumbies - Won 10, Lost 6; semi-finals

8th: Force - Won 9, Lost 7

13th: Reds - Won 5, Lost 11

15th: Rebels - Won 4, Lost 12

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...-super-heroes/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    If the ARU are looking for a super hero, I know of one very experienced (ex Sydney University) super Coach who will probably be available and looking for a job after next Tuesday.

Very high profile at the moment and comes with Cred.

Last edited by fulvio sammut; 06-02-15 at 13:03.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Budgie Smugglers and all.

About time we had Big Business Man running the big business

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Tinfoil hat time for me.

Justin Chadwick has waxed lyrical about the inside back options, dragging everybody who has even a sniff at the jersey in Queensland or New South Wales as an option but throws Kyle in as a 'smokey'.....seems like he thinks KHunt is the option and Kyle is the outsider.

But I mention that first only because of it's position in the article. Who does Justin consider the future #2 for the Wallabies? PAT LEAFA? Surely the first choice hooker after the incumbents deserves a mention. Cheese was not even thought about...not even in the same postcode as an option! Totally not cool!

furthermore, whilst he correctly identifies Lock as struggle street for Cheika, who does he offer as any form of solution? Will Skelton! Not Luke Jones, Not Caderyn Neville, not somebody from out of left field like Sammy Wykes or (I'd prefer) Adam Coleman? Nope the boy who's massive frame meant he had a grand total of 20 minutes of international rugby in him is the future of the second row! WTF?

and on the flank....he's still talking about Palu? Now it's concussion which causes his ass to pucker every time we play South Africa and New Zealand....yet again, there is a squadron of up-and-coming young flankers who could fill the spot.....let alone the bloke who replaced Palu so ably when the selectors were forced to drop him.

In short, I don't think Chadwick has done any actual research for the article.....i have done a better job in five minutes off the top of my head!

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    Article on thewildwildwest, giving enough reason why Dane should be a Wallaby Fullback.

http://www.thewildwildwest.com.au/20...ck-his-ability

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    which family member wrote that?

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    which family member wrote that?
    Hahahaha I did.
    I'm tired of everything being Folau this or KHunt that.
    The Force has some the best invisible superstars in the Australian conference!
    It's time they got some positive press. Even whatsisface at the west or the Sunday paper tend to focus on the negative or gossip from east coast.
    Their coverage is similar to a TWF local continually complaining about everything that isn't going his way or his clubs way.
    So it is an attempt to do something about it, instead of whinging about it.

If you would like to do better, send me an effort, and I try and get it published....
    Your move!!

vCash
    Folau > Haylett Petty.

The end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Folau > Haylett Petty.

The end.
    I agree and I'm as force biased as anybody