Adrian Warren
February 4, 2015, 6:44 am

Blockbusting Wallabies No.8 Wycliff Palu says he has learnt the hard way that he needs to speak up earlier if he feels unwell.

The 54-Test veteran missed Australia's last eight Tests of 2014 because of lingering concussion issues following a head knock suffered against South Africa in Perth in September.

It meant he didn't play in the second half of Australia's Rugby Championship campaign or go on the Europe tour.

"I had a bit of concussion but that's all good now, the head is all cleared," Palu told AAP.

"I guess you've just got to speak up when you're not feeling the best.

"Last year I probably didn't speak up early enough."

Spending time on the sideline, mainly through physical wear and tear, has been a regular part of 32-year-old Palu's career as he took eight years to reach his half century of Test caps.

When fit, "Cliffy" has inflicted more than his share of damage on opposing teams as a genuine X-factor player, and he remains one of Australia's best ball carriers.

After a full pre-season, he was the only member of the Waratahs' Super Rugby final-winning side to start their first trial of the year which consisted of three 30-minute games against Sydney club teams last weekend.

It didn't take him long to make an impact, crashing over for a try in the opening minutes against Randwick and grabbing another five-pointer later.

"I missed a lot of rugby at the back end of last season so I think for me it was good to get to get that first game out of the way and and to get a run," he said.

While the prospect of playing at a third World Cup looms large later in the year, Palu is taking a shorter-term approach.

"I'm just trying to break up the season into a few blocks, three games blocks," Palu said.

"At my age, I can't think too far ahead. So I'll just try to take the next few games first and then I'll go from there."

Several of the Waratahs' other Wallabies stars, including Michael Hooper, Israel Folau, Adam Ashley-Cooper and Nick Phipps, will make their returns in this Friday's final trial against the Chiefs, along with captain Dave Dennis, who is scheduled to make his comeback from a knee reconstruction.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...ncussion-woes/