Thread: Horne and McMahon re-sign with ARU

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Horne and McMahon re-sign with ARU

By Melissa Woods
    January 29, 2015, 6:49 am

Melbourne Rebels backrower Sean McMahon and NSW Waratahs winger Rob Horne have signed two-year contract extensions with the Australian Rugby Union until the end of 2017.

The deals mean both players will remain in Australian rugby for the next three seasons, a major boost for the Rebels and defending champions the Waratahs ahead of the Super Rugby season which kicks off on February 13.

McMahon is regarded as one of the hottest prospects in Australian rugby and could have had his pick of Super Rugby clubs after a break-out 2014 but chose to stick with the Rebels.

In his first year in the competition the 20-year-old made his Wallabies debut on the 2014 European tour, playing three Tests.

He also won the Australian Super Rugby rookie of the year.

Rebels coach Tony McGahan was thrilled to secure McMahon's services for the next three seasons.

"Sean has made a wonderful impact at the Rebels, despite still being just 20," McGahan said.

"He has demonstrated an ability to succeed at Super Rugby level, and clearly he is going to get better."

McMahon, originally from Brisbane, said staying at the Rebels was an easy decision.

"I can see the future of the Rebels getting better, and in the next few years we will continue to build towards an eventual premiership under this coaching staff and I want to be a part of that," he said.

"I love it down here and being part of this group, and now I can focus on playing with this decision already made."

It capped a meteoric rise for McMahon, who at seventeen years of age was the youngest Australian Rugby Sevens representative, and returned to the sport for a brief period in 2014 to win a Commonwealth Games Bronze Medal.

He also captained the Australia under-20s to the IRB Junior World Rugby Championships.

Horne, 25, played a major role in the Waratahs' 2014 Super Rugby title win, while he also earned 10 caps for the Wallabies.

Both McMahon and Horne are expected to feature in the Wallabies squad for the World Cup in September-October.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...sign-with-aru/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Two good signings,

McMahon was a point of difference for the Wobblies this year, when everybody else was playing the wide running game he was effectively doing what needed to be done, if they refuse to pick Hodgo and Gus, I'd take McMahon over pretty much anybody in the country. Once the greenness gets knocked off m, he'll be awesome.

Horne was a bit of a liability in the centres, but has completely transformed himself since moving out to the wing, certainly worth retaining (unlike some others I won't name)

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    Id still back the Force lads, Hodgo and Gus in, but would add Alcock to that the mix.
    I cannot wait for the Force players across the spectrum to shake the eastern states selectors to the core this season.
    NZ and SA giving the Force players higher praise over the last 12months than the eastern states rugby media.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I'm looking forward to seeing Alcock making a real statement this season.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Player
    vCash
    The (Whole) Force back row is something to behold.
    Slightly differing styles, no drop in tempo, in your face all the time.
    Cannot wait!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by G_Beard View Post
    Id still back the Force lads, Hodgo and Gus in, but would add Alcock to that the mix.
    oh, I would certainly pick the force back row, it's been one of the best combinations in the competition for several years, each one deserving of gold. I'm simply being a realist and recognizing that they won't pick ocean blue regardless of form.

In that context, McMahon is a great pick, well needed to cover for Hooper playing the entire game in the centres and Palu failing to show up to games against anybody but Uzbekistan and Namibia.

C'mon the