Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fans aid Cummins return

Champion
    vCash

Thumbs up Fans aid Cummins return

This is interesting story from today's West . It seems we have some loyal benefactors to thank but it also gives an insight into the contempt the ARU had for Nick and the Force in general.

Nick Taylor
    December 24, 2014, 7:58 am
    A syndicate of businessmen and Western Force supporters put together a deal to underwrite a salary top-up package that helped bring Wallabies winger Nick Cummins back to the club for the 2015 Super Rugby season.
    The Force received no financial aid for Cummins from the Australian Rugby Union, which could reap the rewards of his return as he will qualify for next year's Rugby World Cup.
    Force chief executive Mark Sinderberry said the club was flattered by the support.
    "We have been humbled by the community support we have received in order to bring Nick back and I'd like to thank the number of individuals directly involved for their generosity in making this possible," Sinderberry said.
    "Nick had unique circumstances behind his move to Japan, however it was important that we did what we could to bring him back."
    The Force opened talks with the ARU several months before Cummins was released on compassionate grounds to play in Japan.
    They asked for help to top up his salary, but were told that Cummins, who was not on the ARU's top pay scale, was also not at the top of its priority list.
    In contrast, the ARU is understood to have given Queensland Reds $250,000 to help recruit code-hopper Karmichael Hunt and substantially more to help the Waratahs retain Wallabies full-back Israel Folau.
    Shortly before the announcement in June that he was leaving, the ARU tried to offer Cummins marketing funding.
    The cult winger had become the face of Australian rugby worldwide through his quirky post-match interviews.
    "By that time the horse had bolted," one senior official said.
    "It should have been done months before. It was too little, too late."
    It is understood Cummins' management also asked the ARU for a get-out clause as it felt he was not getting enough support from the governing body.
    Cummins signed a lucrative two-year deal with Japanese club Coca Cola Red Sparks to provide for his family. His father Mark has prostate cancer and two of his siblings have cystic fibrosis.
    It will not be known whether Cummins will make the start of the Super season until the Red Sparks' campaign is over.
    He said playing for the Barbarians against Australia at Twickenham in November had fuelled his desire to return.
    "Walking off the field after the match was a surreal experience, knowing I had just played against my country," Cummins said.
    "It definitely lit a fire within and had me thinking about what could have been.
    "But I heard a bloke say at the end of the Super Rugby season that he hadn't heard no fat lady sing. I'm stoked to be back on the burst. Gonna be a huge year. Can't wait to get amongst it."
    Coach Michael Foley said Cummins had a multi-faceted role at the Force.
    "While most people are aware of Nick's colourful personality, the character he displays in his performances on the field makes him an integral part of our team," Foley said.
    "His ability to lighten the mood is balanced against a fierce determination to win and play for his mates."

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rookie
    vCash
    I am a10 year member. To all those involved in getting the badger back, please accept my warmest thanks and gratitude. I just wish I was in a position to have helped. One other good thing that has come out of this is my total disgust in the ARU is almost complete - my cup is almost filled to the brim. To quote Tosh.O "and for this we thank you."

8 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    As per "Onions" above, a huge thank you to those behind the scenes that made it happen.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Ditto the above. Roll on next year. My contempt for the ES Rugby power base has been complete for a while. But the frustration is still rising. Sadly I don't think even "best practise" reform will change a lot. Just look at the AFL for example.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    At least we know that there are SOME people who are able to influence Aussie rugby who aren't blindly looking to funnel every dollar the code generates into NSW and Qld.

Shame those generous souls aren't involved in an official capacity.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    So how will the east coast report this?

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Ditto to all above
    Thank you Generous ones and fellow Sea of blue folks.... Shows their is unity in the West.. I just hope we can take one last thing from the east and that's the silverware this year.

Once again thanks Rugby WA and all WA rugby followers

Come on 2015 go the force

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    So how will the east coast report this?
    With a stunning silence

vCash
    I had to google Tosh O

Champion
    vCash
    I always find it interesting that we never hear anything from our own ARU board member in support of the Force or Rugby in WA. Perhaps he's just like the rest and wallows in imputence.

vCash
    As above. A big thank you from the SNOB house hold.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Good job Force 15 Foundation. Your support over the last 10 years has been outstanding.

Its fantastic to have the Badge back!! Cant wait for 2015to get rolling.

There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    I always find it interesting that we never hear anything from our own ARU board member in support of the Force or Rugby in WA. Perhaps he's just like the rest and wallows in imputence.
    Stookie?

There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

vCash
    Looking at the Japanese league fixtures, the Coca Cola Red Sparks have a playoff game on February 14. The last game that they played was last weekend - so they have a month off with no game. This game is to remain in the top league for next season, so it begs the questions:

1) Will HB be picked to play in this game? Could join Force squad a lot earlier if not.
    2) If the Red Sparks are relegated out of the top league for next season - is there a clause in his contract which enables him to leave?

Yamada will be available to join the Force from early February, once the Panasonic Wild Knights finish their season.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I think Cummo was mostly used off the bench (maybe due to foreign player quotas- but I am not sure). Maybe he won't be needed.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast