Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FORCE SIGNS JAPANESE FLYER, AKIHITO YAMADA

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

FORCE SIGNS JAPANESE FLYER, AKIHITO YAMADA

By Nick Smith on Thu 18th December 14 in Akihito Yamada, Signings

The Western Force has recruited Japanese international, Akihito Yamada for its 10th season of Asteron Life Super Rugby in 2015.

Yamada joins the Force as a concessional signing for one year, with each Australian club permitted to recruit one Japanese player in addition to their 35-man senior squad. Yamada will be a part of the Western Force’s senior squad and is immediately eligible for selection.

The 29-year-old try-scoring winger has played 10 Tests for the Brave Blossoms since making his debut against Russia last year, crossing for eight tries, including four in Japan’s 62-5 win over Korea in May this year.

The dynamic outside back is currently representing the Panasonic Wild Knights, who currently sit atop of Japan’s Top League, where he has scored 58 tries over four seasons for the team based in Japan’s Gunma province.

Yamada, who scored 20 tries in 14 matches for the Wild Knights during the 2012/2013 season, will join the Force on completion of his current season in Japan.

Yamada says he is looking forward to the new opportunity that awaits him in Western Australia.

“I'm really excited to have this great opportunity to play in Super Rugby as a member of the Western Force team,” he said. “I would like to thank everyone, including Panasonic, that has supported me throughout my career and I hope to have a good season in Perth.”

Head Coach Michael Foley says Yamada is an exciting addition to the Force squad.

“Aki is an attacking wing /fullback, who has demonstrated an ability to find the try line,” he said. “While he’s played international rugby for Japan, he’s keen to keep improving and has expressed a desire to challenge for a place in the match squad.”

The Western Force will kick off their season against the NSW Waratahs in Sydney on Sunday, 15 February.

2015 Western Force Memberships are now open! Join now at www.westernforce.com.au

Name: Akihito Yamada
    Born: 26/07/1985, Kyoto (Japan)
    Position: Wing
    Height: 181cm
    Weight: 90kg
    Test caps: 10
    Test points: 40 (8 tries)
    Test debut: 2013 v Russia, Colwyn Bay (Wales)
    Representative Rugby: 2013-2014 Japan, 2010-2014 Panasonic Wild Knights, 2008-2010 Honda Heat

2015 Western Force squad:
    Robbie Abel (EPS), Chris Alcock, Marcel Brache, Luke Burton, Nathan Charles, Adam Coleman, Angus Cottrell, Pek Cowan,
    Patrick Dellit, Sias Ebersohn, Tetera Faulkner, Kyle Godwin, Dane Haylett-Petty, Ross Haylett-Petty (EPS), Chris Heiberg, Matt Hodgson, Zack Holmes, Oliver Hoskins, Brad Lacey (EPS), Ryan Louwrens (EPS), Steve Mafi, Alby Mathewson, Ben McCalman, Luke Morahan, Albert Nikoro, Ian Prior, Solomoni Rasolea, Mitchell Scott, Brynard Stander, Wilhelm Steenkamp, Heath Tessmann, Francois van Wyk (EPS), Rory Walton, Sam Wykes, Akihito Yamada

- See more at: http://www.westernforce.com.au/artic....FdlcISUh.dpuf

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post

2015 Western Force squad:
    Robbie Abel (EPS), Chris Alcock, Marcel Brache, Luke Burton, Nathan Charles, Adam Coleman, Angus Cottrell, Pek Cowan,
    Patrick Dellit, Sias Ebersohn, Tetera Faulkner, Kyle Godwin, Dane Haylett-Petty, Ross Haylett-Petty (EPS), Chris Heiberg, Matt Hodgson, Zack Holmes, Oliver Hoskins, Brad Lacey (EPS), Ryan Louwrens (EPS), Steve Mafi, Alby Mathewson, Ben McCalman, Luke Morahan, Albert Nikoro, Ian Prior, Solomoni Rasolea, Mitchell Scott, Brynard Stander, Wilhelm Steenkamp, Heath Tessmann, Francois van Wyk (EPS), Rory Walton, Sam Wykes, Akihito Yamada

- See more at: http://www.westernforce.com.au/artic....FdlcISUh.dpuf
    Sounds like a good finisher. With Haylett Petty probably at fullback and Morahan on the wing we now have 5 or 6 players who can battle it out for the other wing spot.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Prefer another bloke playing in Japan...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

vCash
    • Already looks good in Blue and Black.
    • Has some real pace.
    • Good passing and off-loads.
    • Reasonably effective tactical kicker
    • Strong tackler
    • Takes a high ball well
    • Good support runner
    • Appears to read the game well - opportunist.
    • Hungry for the ball.

Good pick-up.

Last edited by andrewg; 18-12-14 at 17:27.

vCash

vCash

Cool

Well I just fainted. Have to admit, I've been on this guy's bandwagon for a while now, so if he flourishes, I'll be over the moon and we'll have one helluva finisher!!!

I was kinda hoping we'd get Lucas Amorosino also, but I think Cardiff snapped him up.

Name:  akihito.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  47.8 KB

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post

...Jumper sales and memberships

vCash
    Being allowed to recruit one Japanese player, in addition to the 35 man roster, sounds like the ARU are allowing free reign for signing any Japanese player. Yamada's side won the Japanese league last year with him scoring two tries in the final and being named in the team of the season. I'd say it looks like we've not signed a journeyman but one of the best Japanese players around.

I wonder if he does really well, if we can keep him as a marquee international? (Although I doubt he'll get paid as well as he could in Japan!)

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    "...each Australian club permitted to recruit one Japanese player in addition to their 35-man senior squad" sounded to me like an initiative to give a number of the Japanese players exposure to SR level ahead of 2016. Seemed like surprising good sense, so wondering why there haven't been similar announcements from other teams.

Champion
    vCash
    Ok I'm all for looking outside the square but after watching the clip it is only the Japanese league and the opposition defensive technique was bloody woeful.
    I would be more in favour of whacking in a guy like Brad Lacey. A standout at the u/20 world cup, would be interesting to see how he would go in a Super 15 enviorment. You don't know until he has been given a crack.
    Personally I think he would be up to it, sure he has a lot to learn but he would handle it through sheer gut's and determination.
    Need's a chance this season otherwise he'll get snapped up elsewhere.

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    He got a chance in the NRC. He was good but needs to work on his defence a bit.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    "...each Australian club permitted to recruit one Japanese player in addition to their 35-man senior squad" sounded to me like an initiative to give a number of the Japanese players exposure to SR level ahead of 2016. Seemed like surprising good sense, so wondering why there haven't been similar announcements from other teams.
    I think the Brumbies did and I'm assuming Melbourne still has their's.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    He got a chance in the NRC. He was good but needs to work on his defence a bit.
    Yeah his timing wasn't quite right but a fair bit to do with that was over exuberance which is a good thing and can be easily fixed up.
    Give the lad a go.

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    Could be a development move to expose Japanese players to Super Rugby level. The prospect of Japanese TV subscriptions may be a factor too.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast