Thread: SCOTT EARNS OPPORTUNITY WITH THE FORCE

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

SCOTT EARNS OPPORTUNITY WITH THE FORCE

WESTERN FORCE MEDIA RELEASE
    Thursday, 4 December 2014

The Western Force has signed Tasman’s ITM Cup-winning winger Mitchell Scott to its squad for the next two seasons.

Born in Nelson, Scott, son of late All Blacks scrumhalf Stephen Scott, was a starting member of the Tasman Makos’ 2013 ITM Cup Championship-winning side that defeated Hawke’s Bay 26-25, and came off the bench for the team that finished runners-up in this year’s Premiership final to Taranaki, 36-32.

The 23-year-old former secondary schools sprint champion was a starting winger for the New Zealand Under 20 team during their successful IRB Junior World Championship campaign, defeating England, 33-22, in the final.

Scott, who was also a member of the Crusaders’ Wider Training Squad, says he’s looking forward to being part of the Western Force.

“It’s a really exciting to join the Force and they’re a great bunch of boys,” he said.

“It’s a great to have the opportunity to be here full time and not just training as part of a Super Rugby squad through the pre-season as I’ve done previously.

“We’ve had a good few seasons with Tasman over the past two years and have gone from the worst team in the competition to the second best this season. It’s been really cool to be a part of that developing team and then see teammates go on to higher honours.

“It’s not dissimilar to what the Force has done. It’d be great to contribute to what the guys have been doing here, and keep that development going.

“It’s pretty cool to get over to Perth. I’ve got a lot of my mates living over here now and it’s a great place. It’s a lot hotter – and a fair bit bigger – than Nelson.”

Western Force Head Coach Michael Foley says Scott is an exciting, young player.

“While we’ve focused on retention and the promotion of players from within, it was essential that we found players outside the group that complemented what we’re looking to achieve as a team,” he said.

“Mitch joins us following a successful season with the Tasman Makos in New Zealand’s ITM Cup. While still young, he’s been a part of the Crusaders and New Zealand Under 20 programmes and adds genuine pace to our outside backs.”

The Western Force has commenced pre-season training and will kick off their season against the NSW Waratahs in Sydney on Sunday, 15 February.

2015 Western Force Memberships are now open! Join now at www.westernforce.com.au

Name: Mitchell Scott
    Born: 02/03/1991, Nelson (New Zealand)
    Position: Wing
    Height: 175cm
    Weight: 80kg
    Representative Rugby: 2013-2014 Tasman Makos (ITM Cup), 2012 Crusaders (Wider Training Squad), 2011 New Zealand Under 20, 2008-2009 Nelson Bays Under 18

2015 Western Force squad:
    Robbie Abel (EPS), Chris Alcock, Marcel Brache, Luke Burton, Nathan Charles, Adam Coleman, Angus Cottrell, Pek Cowan,
    Patrick Dellit, Sias Ebersohn, Tetera Faulkner, Kyle Godwin, Dane Haylett-Petty, Ross Haylett-Petty (EPS), Chris Heiberg, Matt Hodgson, Zack Holmes, Oliver Hoskins, Brad Lacey (EPS), Ryan Louwrens (EPS), Steve Mafi, Alby Mathewson, Ben McCalman, Luke Morahan, Albert Nikoro, Ian Prior, Solomoni Rasolea, Mitchell Scott, Brynard Stander, Wilhelm Steenkamp, Heath Tessmann, Francois van Wyk (EPS), Rory Walton, Sam Wykes

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Apologies if I missed something, but was there no media release regarding Burto getting the gig?

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WFDom View Post
    Apologies if I missed something, but was there no media release regarding Burto getting the gig?
    There wasn't any media release about it, he has just turned up in squad lists

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Yeah point taken TiF.

However before I go I think it sucks that he didn't get a shout from the media department. When we hear so much emphasis being put on how we should champion WA born & bred players. To miss the opportunity to highlight someone who was a stand out for the Aus under 20's and played some stellar games for the Force last year is a big old faux pas on the media / management of the organisation IMHO

Rant over

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by WFDom; 04-12-14 at 16:37.
    Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!