Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What do the Spring Test Ruck Stats Tell Me?

vCash

What do the Spring Test Ruck Stats Tell Me?

Recognising that it’s difficult to get reliable rugby stats, and frustrated by nothing being available on Ruck stats, and having some time on my hands, I decided to gather some ruck stats of my own.
    I concentrated only on the Wallabies as I was interested in knowing who was working hard and actually making an impact in this important aspect of the game.
    The following data was gathered from watching replays of each Test and compiling an average across Tests played.

Attachment 3582

Notes:
    1. Average rucks have been normalised as if each player played for the full 80 minutes. In reality only Hooper and McCalman achieved this feat. Simmons x 2 and Carter x 1. As the front row, in particular are usually flagging, this normalised number probably boosts what they would have achieved.
    2. Early to ruck means 1st or 2nd after the tackler.
    3. Impact at ruck means active engagement, strong physical contact, changed shape of ruck, clean-out, etc. (more than hand on someone's bum or playing statues.) Impact doesn't mean that the player was "menacing" at the ruck.

Discussion
    Total Rucks
    1. In the last Test against South Africa the Wallabies engaged 61% of rucks in Defence.
    2. In the last Tests against Argentina and New Zealand the Wallabies engaged 90% of rucks in Defence.
    3. Over the 4 Tests on the Spring Tour the Wallabies reduced the engagement on rucks in Defence from 70% against Wales, 60% against France, 55% against Ireland, down to a low of 40% against England. The average engagement of rucks in Defence was 60%.

Summary
    Carter and McMahon are our best at the ruck.
    Hooper and Fianga’a a step below.
    Slipper, Simmons and McCalman another step below.
    Kepu is clearly our worst at the ruck.

Individual Performance
    McMahon makes lots of rucks, arrives early and has reasonable impact.
    Carter is not far behind McMahon in total rucks, similar timing and the highest impact. Carter often makes the initial cleanout.
    Hooper makes the most rucks but with average early engagement and one of the lowest impacts. Clearly he is not a regular “fetcher” at Test level.
    Fianga’a was one of the workhorses at rucks, often using his good technique to drastically change the shape of the ruck.
    Slipper works in much the same way as Fianga’a but with slightly less impact.
    Simmons makes lots of rucks early as a blocker without making much impact.
    McCalman, our best ball-carrying forward (109m) on tour, made fewer rucks but appeared to pick his time of arrival to make impact when needed. (Hooper - 77m)
    Kepu makes lots of rucks but is generally a late arrival and most often just filling space and playing statues to one side. He rarely “hits” a ruck and is more into leaning or pushing.

Ruck Involvement by Backs
    Against Wales: Leali’ifano – 22, Kurudrani – 22, Tomane – 18 and Foley - 13.
    Average over 4 Tests: Toomua – 17 (2 Tests only); AAC – 12; Foley - 10

Others?
    As we know Hodgo didn't get a lot of game time.
    If the game against the Barbarians is included, Hodgo played for 98 minutes.
    He made 70 rucks (Attack 47/23 Defence).
    46 rucks in 74 mins against Barbarians. 18 rucks in 13 mins against Wales
    Early - 90%. Impact - 79%. (Both better than all the above)
    Hooper made a ruck every 2 minutes. Hodgo made a ruck every 1.4 minutes.
    He made a turnover in each of his 3 appearances (13 mins, 11 mins, 74 mins).
    Looking forward to a great year from Hodgo in 2015.

(Have corrected an error in Hooper's ruck stats and comment re Flankers being lowest on Defensive rucks.....only McMahon)

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by andrewg; 03-12-14 at 17:22.

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Invalid attachment...I'm very interested in having a look though

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    coz Stone Cold says so

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Very impressive Andrew, thanks for your efforts

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Cold View Post
    Invalid attachment...I'm very interested in having a look though
    Can you see it now SC??

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Wonder what the lawyer brigade on gagr think of these stats?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    Probably that they are a gross misrepresentation of the facts covering a great season at the breakdown by one of their favorites......not sure who they'd pick, I started the sentence thinking Hooper, but they might jump to the defense of Kepu

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    Half of them are still trembling from their spontaneous climax after reading the word stats. nobody cares about the other half because it's GAGR

vCash
    Adds some evidence to my suspicions that Hooper spends a lot of tHe game hurling himself around the field without it actually being constructive. He's a terrific player but seems to be getting away with a lot of unnecessary effort. Likewise Kepu have never understood how laid back he seems to be once the rucks been formed he seems to just step away/over/past just a real lack of aggression and finishing. Great work AndyG. Am also surprised that Carter is as effective after all.

vCash
    Some more stats for our Forwards (from ESPN Scrum):

Attachment 3580

GREEN = Better than Super XV performance.

BLUE = Same as Super XV performance.

RED = Below Super XV performance.

Tackles
    + Both Hooper and Kepu tackled well above their Super XV averages (3 more tackles and 3% more effective).
    + Fiangaa's tackling 12% more effective.
    + Slipper's tackling 4% more effective.
    + McCalman averaged 3 less tackles per game.
    + McMahon, Carter and Simmons significantly below in tackles and efficiency.

Ball Carries
    + McCalman, McMahon and Simmons maintained their Super XV performance.
    + Hooper normally averages 35m/game in Super XV.
    + Other Forwards made <50% of their normal carry m.

Penalties Conceded
    + McMahon (nearly x 3), Slipper (nearly x 2) and Hooper (nearly x 2) conceded more penalties.
    +Fianga'a, Simmons and McCalman conceded far less penalties.

Last edited by andrewg; 02-12-14 at 23:40.

vCash
    Where have you posted these on gagr Andrew? Would be very interested to see the response / discussion.

Top work by the way - really excellent stats. I'm actually a little surprised by the relatively low number of rucks that McCalman hits considering I view him as a real workhorse, but he does make up for it with his ball running and impact at rucks I guess.

vCash
    Similarly interesting to look at Hooper's stats from ESPN.

I look at him as a seagull, waiting out in the midfield for the easy run, but the stats seem to indicate that he's out there making a million tackles (and most of them effective) He also doesn't top the run stats. That surprises me!

I'm still annoyed that he doesn't participate in the breakdown anywhere near often enough for a #7, but if that's his role, he appears to be pretty effective at it. Maybe the difference should be that we pick an 8 or a 6 to do the dirty work and let Hooper continue stopping the big runners in the centres.

Hooper 7 Pocock 6 (assuming Pocock is a) fit, b) playing as well as he was three years ago when he played more than 2 games a season and c) not too busy hugging trees) might solve all my angst with the forward pack, it would provide plenty of tackle cover in the midfield, to account for the fact that Foley is smallish and Cooper (if selected at 12) can't tackle. It would also stiffen up our competition at the breakdown, ensuring that we don't give the opposition bucketloads of quick ball too easily.

If Pocock doesn't appear to be the right option, Hodgeo is the logical choice, Offering pretty much the same skillset as Pocock, but with a little less bulk, ie not quite as immoveable at the breakdown, but more mobile running the ball or other possibilities include McMahon (certainly willing to get his hands dirty and has the advantage of youth) Gus Cotterell (probably would have got the gig ahead of McMahon if fit) and probably a couple of other young backrowers.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chiraag View Post
    Where have you posted these on gagr Andrew? Would be very interested to see the response / discussion.
    I've been posting these stats on G&GR in the Match threads for each of the Tests.

Have yet to post these summary stats on G&GR as thought I'd run them past TWF first.

Veteran
    vCash
    I turned the corner on Hooper a week or so ago. he was making cover tackles everywhere, and good runs. If that is his job good. but the 6 needs to take the stereotypical openside role of pilfering and protecting the breakdown.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    I turned the corner on Hooper a week or so ago. he was making cover tackles everywhere, and good runs. If that is his job good. but the 6 needs to take the stereotypical openside role of pilfering and protecting the breakdown.
    Yeah, I think, to be fair, I've taken much longer than most to come to grips with that. It's on;y really dawned upon me since I saw the latest stats up......I guess the issue for me now is the consistent refusal to find a 6 who can fill that role, when one is sitting in the changerooms (albeit a little old and unfashionable)

Fair enough, if McMahon gets the game time and develops the nouse to fill the role, I'm happy for the man not to be Hodgeo, but we need SOMEBODY to play that role!

C'mon the

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast