Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Australia v Ireland

vCash
    Andrew,

THanks for detailing Hodgo's credentials as a 6 but, for me at least, that wasn't required. I'm aware of how well he plays 6, that wasn't my concern, the concern was how badly our locks play 4 & 5.

For the majority of his time at 6 the lineout was being called by Mr N Sharpe, a finer exponent of that skill is hard to find....maybe Matfield, but even that is arguable. Certainly nobody in the current game comes close. Rob Simmons is calling the lineout ATM and he isn't even a faint shadow of that good.

They need everything they can get in the lineout and the extra few centimetres a Fardy or a Jones offers might just tip the balance. Add this to the obvious fact that Cheika is deliberately devaluing the breakdown by making his flankers play wide and leaving his only pilfering option out of the squad equals bad news for Hodgeo (and Horwill to some extent)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    I think it is only Kyle and the Coal Miner who have not had any game time on tour GIGS, and with Fanigaa not pulling up well Josh should at least hit the bench this week.
    Tom English?

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Tom English?
    I thought you were talking about the Aussies not the English

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Andrew,

THanks for detailing Hodgo's credentials as a 6 but, for me at least, that wasn't required. I'm aware of how well he plays 6, that wasn't my concern, the concern was how badly our locks play 4 & 5.

For the majority of his time at 6 the lineout was being called by Mr N Sharpe, a finer exponent of that skill is hard to find....maybe Matfield, but even that is arguable. Certainly nobody in the current game comes close. Rob Simmons is calling the lineout ATM and he isn't even a faint shadow of that good.

They need everything they can get in the lineout and the extra few centimetres a Fardy or a Jones offers might just tip the balance. Add this to the obvious fact that Cheika is deliberately devaluing the breakdown by making his flankers play wide and leaving his only pilfering option out of the squad equals bad news for Hodgeo (and Horwill to some extent)
    GIGS20....just being lazy and posting a piece that I put on G&G.

I don't think that it's just Cheika who is "devaluing the breakdown" as the global talk for some time now has been on promoting attacking rugby and the giving preference to the attacking team at the breakdown.

As we know some refs have made this call already. It's apparent that they are now quick to penalise any slowing down or obstruction near the exit point. The ARU may have been advised that the refs will be even tougher in the RWC.

Holding off on a lot of the defensive rucks may be just getting ready for the RWC.

Unfortunately, If that's the case then the "pilferer" as we know him is really getting phased out and this explains why Hodgo isn't getting much game time.

The problem I have is that I'm confused by the continued support of the game that Hooper is playing:
    + Yes, he is making lots of rucks, but he is slow to arrive and has very low impact.
    + He appears to be a lot more selective about when he enters defensive rucks to force a turnover. Isolation is the key and when he has strong support.
    + His tackling game is still strong - but he misses some big numbers from time to time.
    + Maybe it's the sign of a long season but his running game has lost its normal shine. Even Ben McCalman has been making more run metres.

Much as I'd like to see Hodgo get a start at 6 and see Hooper and Hodgson work together, because of the above, I think that the best Hodgo can expect is to be off the bench (AGAIN!!)

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    Anyone know where I can get a copy of this match?
    PM'd ya

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8