Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Australia V France

vCash

Australia V France

Game 3 of the tour on the 30th anniversary of our grand slam. A scratchy win against the barbarians was followed by a very gutsy win against Wales which was arred marred by some glaring defensive lapses. A wins a win however.....after all, the might bokke were hammered by Ireland in a timely reminder that the new professionalism of European rugby has closed the gap that has existed in the last few decades.

Wales were very committed. The Welsh defnce was willing and aggressive. I thought it was a fine win.

We belted the frogs 3-0 in Australia but they will be a different proposition on their own dung heap full of unfriendly Pariseans. They have not been winning much rugby in the last two years and their coach is an egotistical twat or perhaps a misunderstood genius? He has had umpteen different halves combinations but seemed to find a winning formula against Fiji.

The wallabies should have adjusted the body clock now after 2 weeks in the old dart. Have their bodies fatigued under the gruelling training regime of Cheika? Cheika recognises that the group are not fit enough. He has had them out in torrential rain manning up and scrummaging and hitting the bags. It is a welcome site seeing our national rugby team getting a big dose of "harden up".

Les blues are Jeckyl and Hyde. They could kiss each other and whip themselves into a man loving fondling frenzy of passion and man love. This can make them very dangerous as a rugby opponent. The wallabies are equally as unpredictable. If both teams turn up, this could be a wee cracker. The wallabies had their pants pulled down on their last visit to gay Paree.

Will the same wallaby team be selected. Big issues for me are number 6 and the locks. I don't see too many changes elsewhere. I'm a McMahon fan but I thought last week showed it isn't his time just yet although his flame burns bright. I haven't heard how Higgers' hammy is? Hammies usually take a few weeks to be right so I'm assuming he is unavailable. Could we play Horwill at 6? I suspect Hodgo will warm the pine but he could play 8 with McCalman to 6?

I think our locks are well short of par.

Any ideas?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Controversy corner

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Messup View Post
    Game 3 of the tour on the 30th anniversary of our grand slam. A scratchy win against the barbarians was followed by a very gutsy win against Wales which was arred marred by some glaring defensive lapses. A wins a win however.....after all, the might bokke were hammered by Ireland in a timely reminder that the new professionalism of European rugby has closed the gap that has existed in the last few decades.

Wales were very committed. The Welsh defnce was willing and aggressive. I thought it was a fine win.

We belted the frogs 3-0 in Australia but they will be a different proposition on their own dung heap full of unfriendly Pariseans. They have not been winning much rugby in the last two years and their coach is an egotistical twat or perhaps a misunderstood genius? He has had umpteen different halves combinations but seemed to find a winning formula against Fiji.

The wallabies should have adjusted the body clock now after 2 weeks in the old dart. Have their bodies fatigued under the gruelling training regime of Cheika? Cheika recognises that the group are not fit enough. He has had them out in torrential rain manning up and scrummaging and hitting the bags. It is a welcome site seeing our national rugby team getting a big dose of "harden up".

Les blues are Jeckyl and Hyde. They could kiss each other and whip themselves into a man loving fondling frenzy of passion and man love. This can make them very dangerous as a rugby opponent. The wallabies are equally as unpredictable. If both teams turn up, this could be a wee cracker. The wallabies had their pants pulled down on their last visit to gay Paree.

Will the same wallaby team be selected. Big issues for me are number 6 and the locks. I don't see too many changes elsewhere. I'm a McMahon fan but I thought last week showed it isn't his time just yet although his flame burns bright. I haven't heard how Higgers' hammy is? Hammies usually take a few weeks to be right so I'm assuming he is unavailable. Could we play Horwill at 6? I suspect Hodgo will warm the pine but he could play 8 with McCalman to 6?

I think our locks are well short of par.

Any ideas?
    Just play Hodgo at 6, simple.

Would like to see Speight start as well.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I reckon Hodgson will have to nobble somebody to get off the bench and into the starting team.

Our best 2 starting Locks appear to be Simmons and Carter (both have had some good games but need to lift above the effort against Wales).
    Based on form neither Horwill nor Skelton should start.

We may get to see Jones given a trial at 6 (as no crazier than starting McMahon last week).

I'm struggling to see the attraction of Higginbotham at Test level.

In 2014 he has started twice and come off the bench 5 times.

In both starts he's been subbed at 60 minutes.
    Up until that time his average contribution was:
    6 runs for 14 m, ~2 Defenders Beaten, 4 tackles, ~2 Lineouts and a Penalty every other game.
    This is after he screamed out to start to show what he could do!!

In his 5 showings off the bench (av 22 minutes) (i.e. fresh when others are tiring):
    3 runs for 6 m, 3 tackles, 1 Defender Beaten every other game, 1 Lineout and a Penalty every other game.
    These aren't the stats of an IMPACT player.

I acknowledge what Higginbotham USED to offer but can't understand why he's even in the touring party based on these stats.

If Higgers is the obvious answer then please ask the right question!

Last edited by andrewg; 13-11-14 at 12:05.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    I acknowledge what Higginbotham USED to offer but can't understand why he's even in the touring party based on these stats.

If Higgers is the obvious answer then please tell me what the question is!
    The question is how long before Gus Cottrell and/or maybe Chris Alcock are fit and become the next Force Wallabies. Both are only slightly smaller and have twice the work rate. Or half the "bludger rate" in Higginbotham's case. Your stats further confirm my opinion of him.
    Usually I like a big mean blindside but what those two might lack in size, they make up in mongrel. Alcock will likely fight it out with Hodgo and Pocock from now on anyway.

The upside for the Wallabies is that there is almost half a starting side still to come back in as well. A better run with injuries could make next year a more successful one.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    1. Robinson
    2. Faingaa
    3. Kepu
    4. Simmonds
    5. Carter
    6. Jones
    7. Hooper
    8. McCalman

9. Phipps
    10. Foley
    11. tomane
    12. Folau
    13. Kuridrani
    14. Speight
    15. AAC

16. slipper
    17. faulkner
    18. Hanson
    19. Skelton
    20. Horwill
    21. Higgers
    22. white
    23. Horne

Higgers should be given a decent slab if game time. Cheika should be saying to him last chance saloon and if he is ineffective he should punt him from the squad altogether. Jones need to see if he has the goods.

Sorry Hodgo but you are known quantity at the moment. I would start him against Ireland and have McMahon come off the bench. The best performing backrows against France and Ireland should start against England.

vCash
    team has been announced. only change Horwill in for Carter

1. James Slipper (Queensland Reds- 60 Tests)
    2. Saia Fainga’a (Queensland Reds – 33 Tests)
    3. Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs – 49 Tests)
    4. James Horwill (Queensland Reds – 57 Tests)
    5. Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds – 47 Tests)
    6. Sean McMahon (Melbourne Rebels – 1 Test)
    7. Michael Hooper (c - NSW Waratahs – 39 Tests)
    8. Ben McCalman (Western Force – 35 Tests)
    9. Nick Phipps (NSW Waratahs – 25 Tests)
    10. Bernard Foley (NSW Waratahs – 15 Tests)
    11. Joe Tomane (ACT Brumbies – 13 Tests)
    12. Christian Leali’ifano (ACT Brumbies – 15 Tests)
    13. Tevita Kuridrani (ACT Brumbies – 18 Tests)
    14. Adam Ashley-Cooper (NSW Waratahs – 101 Tests)
    15. Israel Folau (NSW Waratahs – 26 Tests)

Reserves

To Be Confirmed

vCash
    Oh No!!!! What does Hodgo need to do to get a start!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    That sucks! Hodgo must be wondering the same TD! JEEPERS!

vCash
    The mesiah loves a bit of Horwill. The renaissance is affoot

Now we just needa replacement for Simmons and it's game on

Controversy corner

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    If Horwill's form continues to return, does he come into the running to take over from Hooper as captain?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    depends if the SMH allow it doesnt it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Oh No!!!! What does Hodgo need to do to get a start!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    At the moment, grow long blond hair, ride a skateboard around Manly, sign with NSW, affect an egotistical 'you're a dickhead' smile, run his attacking lines three passes off the ruck and change his name to Michael Hooper (shedding about seven years wouldn't hurt either)

C'mon the

vCash
    I don't think there's an easy answer to that question on this tour. Who else would you pick given that Simmons is the first choice caller (and I've heard that either Higgers or Dog are the backups) you can't throw Jones into that role, because he just won't be familiar enough with the play book. Horwill appears not to have the skills (or at least the confidence of the coaching team) and there are very few options that do.

After a full preparation, Cheika might be able to fill those shoes with a lock who actually has a workrate outside the lineout, but not in the next month he won't!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Reserves:

16. James Hanson

17. Benn Robinson

18. Ben Alexander

19. Will Skelton

20. Matt Hodgson

21. Will Genia

22. Quade Cooper

23. Rob Horne

vCash

Sam Wykes Rex?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast