Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Hansen seeks rugby referee review

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bunter View Post
    I'll wait to see the posts after the 29th November on this.
    Didn't take long.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    From the above article:

Wallabies hooker Saia Fainga'a was hit with what appeared to be an illegal cleanout at a ruck. But when Owens asked to see the replay, it was not put on the Stade de France big screen.
    Surely Owens can ask the TMO to look at the incident instead of wanting to watch the replay on the big screen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Surely Owens can ask the TMO to look at the incident instead of wanting to watch the replay on the big screen.
    Agreed.

Likewise there was a howler from the touchie in the Eng-SAF Game where it was ruled Habana had caught the ball and taken it into touch; he'd actually placed his foot down before he caught it and it should have been an SA throw from where the Englishman had kicked; instead England got the throw deep in SA territory and proceeded to score a try. Ample time had passed between the ball going out and the line-out being set up, the TMO could have pro-actively done his job and sent word down to ref on-field to correct the decision. I hate that this allowance is not made in rugby, at the highest level of the game, to give the TMO the ability to help the ref with the most glaringly obvious mistakes. I'm not saying the game has to be stopped at all, but the TMO being given the power to watch a quick replay and issue a correction within a couple of seconds is not going to destroy the fabric of rugby.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Yes, but the difference between the Faingaa clean out and the Habana touchline call is that the clean out would have qualified to be looked at as a possible incident of foul play.....to rule on touch would require a change in the laws.

I think the negatives of enabling the TMO to rule on any on-field incident outweigh the benefits. Sure in the Habana case, there was plenty of time, but I think there would be many situations where a ref is unsighted, unsure or just not man enough to make a call and we could see a lot of time wasted looking at replays.

I'm even more opposed to the disaster of giving captains and coaches the power to say the ref is wrong on the field. There are plenty of times on the field where the adage of the ref always being right, even if he's wrong saves a game from exploding into an uncontrolled brawl.......it is probably one thing that stopped the French from actually piling in on several occasions.

C'mon the

vCash
    As soon as you take power away from the Ref in a game of rugby, you impact the whole ethos of the game with the respect to the officials and the example set to many other sports. It's something I for one & seemingly GIGS too wants to keep.

The TMO has set laws they can & cannot rule on & as long as they're consistent like the on pitch officials, most peope are content.

vCash
    You picked that up accurately Kev,

I'm not unhappy with the TMO being involved as much as they are.......should it be increased? I'm not really sure, but I'm convinced that any increase in their role should be at the discretion of the on-field referee. Steve Hanson (and any other coach or player for that matter) should learn to pull their arrogant head in and work WITH the officials, not against them.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3