Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Australia V Wales

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    MacMahon - get him a mentor - he is Hot Hot Hot.
    Play him against Warburton & Lydiate .... ! He'll learn much more ...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I think we need to take Andrew's ruck entry stats into account when thinking about playing McMahon. If Hodgo and Horwill are left out of the team and Hooper and McMahon are in, then there is a very real possibility that we'll lose control of the breakdown completely (unless McMahon's attacking prowess was as a result of a coaching directive to play that way) The only way we can get away with a short-handed commitment to the breakdown is to ensure that the boys committing there are genuine hard workers who will get there early and carry their own weight when they get there. Looking at the stats of the BaaBaas, the contenders were Horwill (yes it DOES pain me to say that) Hodgo and McCalman. I think McCalman is a shoo in for 8, but the other two have an uphill battle for selection (Horwill could well be dropped so that Carter and Simmons can lock) I think you can't do it with both of those boys on the bench, Big Dog can't handle the welsh breakdown on his own and they might struggle with only two filling that role (ie Horwill or Hodgo on the bench)

Now McMahon should be pretty quick to the breakdown due to his sevens experience and should be pretty capable on his own for the same reason, but he seemed to be more interested in filling the line and cutting down space (which might also be a telltale of the sevens program) If he can play a game which fills both roles, then Hodgo is a bench player for sure.

Horwill has an even more interesting dilemma ahead of him. Sam Carter promises all the same things that he does, but in a younger body...you'd think it'd be an easy pick, but Carter isn't delivering and Horwill (apart from some laziness clearing the ruck at times) is....will the coaching panel look to the future or seek to win at all costs? Simmons holds the lineout together increasingly well these days, but is usually a bit of a passenger in the loose, punctuated by some stupid cheap shots I'd say his worth is about 50% but the fact is that Horwill is unlikely to replace him, since Simmons has been calling the aussie lineout for quite a while and Horwilll doesn't seem to have that skillset.

not to mention Skelton. I agree he's a monster, but I don't see enough effort from him yet and no amount of good hands or massive size will make up for a lazy lock. He needs to be able to hit the line hard and make a couple of metres after contact EVERY TIME he runs the ball. Add his silky hands to that mix and you'll have a long term, World Cup winning, Never say die player for Australia whose selection nobody will question.

It'll certainly be an interesting selection this week!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Andrew's ruck stats are about as accurate as his lineout stats.

Controversy corner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Messup View Post
    Thanks RM...always good to get your opinion.

The ruck stats I'll stand by (as I gather them myself) and happy to be shown to be incorrect.

As always stats need to be looked at in context as they rarely tell the entire story.

Similarly, opinions unsupported by stats are just that.

The lineout stats are from ESPN.

If you have a better source for game stats then happy to get the link.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Messup View Post
    They're a helluva lot better than yours!

C'mon the

vCash
    Best job for skelton is in the line out to pick up the jumper and get him on his shoulders and walk him over the line as by the laws of rugby states you can't play a player in the air or his support player (( Worth a try bit like the long throw and the wierd tap and run in the baa baas game ))

vCash
    Stats don't have any way of determining the quality of the ball won. If the backs have set up for a play and the intended jumper is missed and we fortuitously win the ball because it lobbed into an unsuspecting player who got scragged and turned over or we forfeited a scrum, it goes down as a "lineout win"

The set piece has been well below par. ESPN must be watching different test matches to me. The South Africans dominated our lineout so much we were terrified to kick the ball out and compete in this contest. We also resorted to a lot of quick lineouts from backs who hoofed it aimlessly downfield.......this turnover of possession also goes down as a "lineout win" even though we effectively turned the ball over without raising a sweat to the opposition.

The Allblacks also dominated our lineout.

Our lineout set piece is now as bad as our scrum. We used to be just toilet at scrums and have usually had a world class lineout. Now we are incompetent at both.

Do you have any stats that show lineouts won cleanly that resulted in effective and rapid movement of the ball to the backline resulting in gain line action? I really couldn't be farked doing stats

Controversy corner

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    You don't make any sense. You say we aren't winning lineouts cleanly and that we are incompetent on one hand and then on the other you are suggesting player selection that will weaken our scrum and our line-out.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    You don't make any sense.
    Probably due to his stats. I think his troll posts might outnumber the ones where a serious analysis is presented by about 4 to 1. But I can't be farked doing the stats.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Wales name team to face Wallabies
    Wales have named their side to face the Wallabies on Saturday, with juggernaut winger George North named in the centres.

Article Here

C'mon the

vCash
    Paul James is in serious form, demolishing some french front rows ... so accompanied with Mr Hibbard & Gethin in reserve, should be a good day for the aussie scrum, regardless who get's the nod in the row.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Wales will hope Samson Lee plays better than the last time he played us. He was embarrassing for them last time.

vCash
    Are the welsh running out of Jones as only 2 in the teams .. This would a record low for them \...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    We might have to fill their gap by starting Luke Jones at 6.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Probably due to his stats. I think his troll posts might outnumber the ones where a serious analysis is presented by about 4 to 1. But I can't be farked doing the stats.
    Give yourself an uppercut Shasta ya Mungo

Up the Bunnies

Controversy corner

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast