Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wallabies v Ba Ba's 01.11.2014

vCash
    If only Hodgo's arm was a couple of millimetres longer

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    I gather this ruck data myself.........(1st and 2nd means after the Tackler)
    Hey mate, I dont want to be an arse, but since you're gathering stats on ruck involvements anyway, is there any chance you could add an effectiveness metric to it? I'm just thinking a yes or no, was the ball secured and you could express it as a percentage or a ratio for attacking and defending rucks.

It would really draw a line under the performance of many of our forwards, as I feel that there are la lot of them who make it to a ruck, but don't do too much when they're there, Even more of them get involved too late to make any difference at all.

I know it would be easy to get skewed results (ie the classical Hooper involvement of laying a hand on the bum as the ball is coming out) but we're hardly playing for sheep stations with them.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Hey mate, I dont want to be an arse, but since you're gathering stats on ruck involvements anyway, is there any chance you could add an effectiveness metric to it?
    GIGS20.....I'll give it a go and see how time consuming it is.

In my numbers 1st & 2nd means after the initial tackle (either in Attack or Defence). What my stats show is those who actually got across the field to the same place as the ruck. They do include those who came in late but actually made contact with the ruck (not just playing statues.) I do have separate stats for involvement in Attack/Defence.

The other bit of the puzzle that's missing is ESPN don't give stats for individual turnovers. However, my ruck stats do equal ESPN for total number of rucks.

See where it takes us after the Wales game.

Last edited by andrewg; 04-11-14 at 17:24.

vCash
    GIGS20.....I'll give it a go and see how time consuming it is.

In my numbers 1st & 2nd means after the initial tackle (either in Attack or Defence). What my stats show is those who actually got across the field to the same place as the ruck. They do include those who came in late but actually made contact with the ruck (not just playing statues.) I do have separate stats for involvement in Attack/Defence.

The other bit of the puzzle that's missing is ESPN don't give stats for individual turnovers. However, my ruck stats do equal ESPN for total number of rucks.

See where it takes us after the Wales game.
    I think if you have the time to get it done, you could probably sell it to the Wallabies, since I'm not sure that they look at that right now (At least that's what their selection policies indicate)

Do you watch the game on replay to get this happening or can you keep up with it live?

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Do you watch the game on replay to get this happening or can you keep up with it live?
    I actually enjoy watching the game at my leisure and then gather the ruck stats from replays over the next couple of days. By watching this closely you get a good idea of what's happening at the breakdown (although too often we can't tell! ).

My impression was that Hooper was often slow to rucks and that was confirmed by the numbers.
    In Bled 3 Hooper's numbers as follows: Attack - 32 rucks with 18 early (58%); Defence - 19 rucks with 14 early 73%. (Total 63%)
    In both instances he tends to play wide leaving the support play to others and is either waiting for an off-load/pass or preparing for the next tackle.

My impression was that Hodgo is very quick to rucks (esp due to his strong support play) and is quick to return to his feet after a tackle.
    Against the Ba Bas he was often the tackler and then still making the ruck or positioning for the next tackle. This too has been confirmed by the stats.

The game against the Ba Bas was Hodgo's first 80 minute game at close to Test level in 2014.
    His detailed ruck stats were: Attack - 26 with 20 early (77%); Defence - 13 with 12 early (92%). Total 82%.

Another interesting comparison is Higgers and Big Dog.

Higgers against the the ABs - Bled3: Attack - 24 rucks with 7 early (29%); Defence - 11 rucks with 8 early (73%). Total 42%.

McCalman against BaBas - Attack - 21 rucks with 18 early (86%); Defence - 10 rucks with 8 early (80%). Total 84%.

For interest - Fardy in Bled3 - Attack - 29 rucks with 18 early (62%); Defence - 10 rucks with 9 early (90%). Total 69%.

Last edited by andrewg; 04-11-14 at 17:36.

vCash
    I actually enjoy watching the game at my leisure and then gather the ruck stats from replays over the next couple of days.

My impression was that Hooper was often slow to rucks and that was confirmed by the numbers.
    In Bled 3 Hooper's numbers as follows: Attack - 32 rucks with 18 early (58%); Defence - 19 rucks with 14 early 73%. (Total 63%)
    My impression was that Hodgo is very quick to rucks (esp due to his strong support play) and is quick to return to his feet after a tackle.
    Against the Ba Bas he was often the tackler and then still making the ruck. This too has been confirmed by the stats.

The game against the Ba Bas was Hodgo's first 80 minute game at close to Test level in 2014.
    His detailed ruck stats were: Attack - 26 with 20 early (77%); Defence - 13 with 12 early (92%). Total 82%.

Another interesting comparison is Higgers and Big Dog.

Higgers against the the ABs - Bled3: Attack - 24 rucks with 7 early (29%); Defence - 11 rucks with 8 early (73%). Total 42%.

McCalman against BaBas - Attack - 21 rucks with 18 early (86%); Defence - 10 rucks with 8 early (80%). Total 84%.

For interest - Fardy in Bled3 - Attack - 29 rucks with 18 early (62%); Defence - 10 rucks with 9 early (90%). Total 69%.
    Great work Andrew! And wow- big difference in stats between the 3. Ben sure is the big leader in attack rucks way outperforming the other 2. Would luv you to email this to GAGR, might shut all those pro Higgers gobshites up a bit.

vCash
    Don't forget Higginbotham's other stats in Bled 3: 6 runs for 7m, 1 Defender Beaten, 2 Linouts and ONE Tackle.

In his 18 minutes against the BaBas: 2 runs for 16m, 1 Off load, 1 Lineout, 1 Penalty and ONE Tackle. Rucks were 5 with 4 early (80%)

Higgers was OK in 2013 but has lost his mojo in 2014.

I'm close to giving up on GAGR - the Hooper/Skelton/Higgers love is difficult to handle. Enjoying The Roar a lot more.

vCash
    for anybody who doesn't realize it, this shit is gold. Thanks Andrew

C'mon the

vCash
    Andrew, is this you....??!!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Simpelzz!!

vCash
    Thanks Uncle Boog

Unlikely......

I have been known to wear a tie at weddings and funerals and the occasional job interview but this dude looks way to comfortable with the choker!!

vCash
    ...too comfortable with the choker!!

vCash

Controversy corner

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2