Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Michael Cheika reportedly agrees to coach Wallabies

vCash
    I'm pretty sure that Kurtley Beale was an active participant in that mile-high handbag fight, should he get off scot free?

At least Patson hasn't been given fifteen chances by the ARU already!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    Where did you read that?
    Radio report.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Looking at all the press today and its fairly obvious that there are people gunning for Pulver. I wonder if he put too many noses out of joint setting up the NRC without listening to the NSW factions who didn't want it knowing it would reduce the sydney club comp to being just another regional comp. They might succeed in ousting him but I bet no one else wants to captain the titanic.

vCash
    The Beale camp has successfully managed delaying tactics to stretch out the hearing for as long as possible - although its backfired a bit with Link pulling the plug as he may not be forced to attend.
    The handbags on the plane may be a trivial enough offence in itself but coming from a serial offender changes the perspective. Over the past few years all of the shite that's been going down with Wallabies and Super Clubs has a common denominator every time being Beale and his pals JOC Cooper and possibly Ione. JOC finally got shutdown although it was pretty soft and he's back in the frame (bound to hear more from him in the future no doubt). I don't doubt Beale is/was a good player, (not been convinced for a few years) but some personalities are just plain toxic to a team structure and cause bad vibes. I've experienced quite a few of these personalities in my own career and all they do is cause trouble over and over again, narcissistic tendencies whatever. If Cheika's got the gig he's asking for more trouble by keeping him in the Wallabies.

vCash
    If we are relying on radio reports now (even more reliable than "I read it in the paper, it must be true") - then this morning ABC was reporting that Cheika was holding out to have Larkham and Foley as part of the coaching team. If true (????) then it is an amazing show of smarts from Cheika.

'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    If we are relying on radio reports now (even more reliable than "I read it in the paper, it must be true") - then this morning ABC was reporting that Cheika was holding out to have Larkham and Foley as part of the coaching team. If true (????) then it is an amazing show of smarts from Cheika.
    Amazing smarts by which Super Coaches he wants, or which one he left out

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Veteran
    vCash
    I was thinking that it may be good to have Super Rugby Coaches as the national team coaches.

They know the blokes in their squads like the back of their hands. They are very experienced, and have a number of different tactics that they can call upon.

PErhaps this is the beginning of a new Wallabies coaching philosophy - All Australian, All current Super Coaches.

could work, though there a definitely pit-falls.

Champion
    vCash
    Worth a try though! I just want to support the sport I love and have a national team I'm proud of! This is a new idea and will be interesting..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    Worth a try though! I just want to support the sport I love and have a national team I'm proud of! This is a new idea and will be interesting..
    I tend to agree!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    this morning ABC was reporting that Cheika was holding out to have Larkham and Foley as part of the coaching team. If true.
    http://www.espnscrum.com/australia/r...ry/244861.html

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

vCash
    Ive never been a Cheika fan, but I would gladly sing his praises if he can turn this tide in our favour. Skeptical of how Foles may come out the other side of the proposed supercoach arrangement. Just anxious that his 'jedi mind' will be tainted by the comings-and-goings of the Wallabies dark side!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Michael Cheika accepts Wallabies coaching job

Date October 20, 2014 - 11:45PM

Michael Cheika has accepted a three-year offer to take on the Wallabies coaching job left vacant by the resignation of Ewen McKenzie.

A source close to Cheika confirmed he would take up the deal and was keen to bring in Stephen Larkham as an assistant coach and Michael Foley to work with the forwards.

A smiling Cheika, dressed in a Waratahs tracksuit top and black jeans, confirmed the offer when he spoke to the media out the front of Waratahs headquarters at Moore Park. "It's a pretty humbling experience to be asked to be involved in something like that, but we'll see what happens," Cheika said.

Cheika is planning to remain in charge of the Waratahs next season and would like Larkham (Brumbies) and Foley (Force) to also stay at the helm of their respective provinces as he tries to build unity throughout the states for Australia's 2015 World Cup campaign.

"There are a few things to be ironed out, obviously the logistics, etc ... everything is so close. So we will see how it goes and work it out from there."

Asked if he was excited about the opportunity, he said: "Who wouldn't be excited in coaching [the Wallabies]."

Asked if the deal could be sealed before Friday when the team flies to Europe for its spring tour, Cheika said: "We'll see how it happens."

The strength of the Waratahs' say in any deal between him and the ARU has grown markedly.

Cheika still has one year to serve on his contract as Waratahs coach, so no agreement between the ARU and Cheika could be reached without the Waratahs' approval – and on his and their full terms. Waratahs chief executive Jason Allen made that clear to Fairfax Media after he spoke with the ARU chief executive Bill Pulver on the telephone about matters he would not divulge.

With only a few days until the Wallabies fly out for their five-game tour, it is hard to imagine any discussion would not have something to do with pressing ARU matters. And for the ARU there is a mountain of those. They include officially appointing and naming a new coach and the new management structure Pulver said would be created before McKenzie resigned, approving and naming the Wallabies touring party initially scheduled for Tuesday, booking confirmed flights, and fine tuning arrangements for what is supposed to be a Wallabies celebration – the John Eales Medal dinner.

"I had a long chat with Bill about a number of things. I am not going to repeat what they were about," Allen said. "All I will say is, if that were to eventuate with Michael Cheika [asked to coach the Wallabies], that's the position of the Waratahs board."

Asked what the Waratahs board position is, Allen said it remained as Waratahs chairman Roger Davis expressed last week. "We would want him to coach us next season, so we are willing to work with the ARU on the solution and wouldn't stop him obviously," Allen said. "I know Roger said we would definitely support him in advancing his career. There is no doubt about it."

Meanwhile, Allen said any loss of Cheika's services to the Waratahs would only compound an already challenging number of issues they have to resolve before the 2015 season.

Firstly, if Cheika left, there would be the cost factor of a global search the Waratahs would have to execute to try and find the right person, at a time when there is not a flood of top available coaches. During that search, the Waratahs would then have to appoint an interim coach from one of their two assistants, in former Crusaders assistant and All Black Daryl Gibson or former Wallaby Nathan Grey.

With the Waratahs having won their first ever Super title, losing Cheika could also compromise their potential to win back to back titles – and with that, increased gate taking and sponsorship opportunities.

"From a board position, we are on the lookout for a new CEO, and a new manager of commercial and marketing," said Allen, who will soon leave his position.

"[Finding] a head coach at this time of year … [it] would prove to be a little difficult to find a suitable candidate. It would be bloody tough … there are not too many coaches around at the moment.

"So we would want that … [having Cheika still at the Waratahs] would be our perfect solution."

Allen was confident the ARU would recognise the Waratahs' issues and work with them to find the best solution for all parties.

"We have a pretty good working relationship with the ARU. If it did go that way I am sure we would work something out," Allen said.

"I don't think it would be in the ARU's interest to have any of the team put in a predicament where they are hanging off the edge. So surely there will be a sensible decision at the end of it."

Asked if he is confident that that would happen if Cheika was offered the Wallabies job, he said: "Who knows. I am not a decision maker of the ARU. As my chairman has put out, they know our position."

Asked if a subject of discussion in his conversation with Pulver was the Beale code of conduct tribunal, , Allen said: "No mate … Our position is loud and clear on Kurtley Beale.

"This is an ARU matter. Since it happened in an ARU period of time, we support an employee of ours — we support Kurtley – through this process."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/au...20-118spx.html

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post

"We have a pretty good working relationship with the ARU. If it did go that way I am sure we would work something out," Allen said.
    Really? Who knew.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Kurtley Beale will be very slightly reprimanded & on the plane to Europe by Friday. Cheika will see to it.

What is this world coming too.......?

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm taking up knitting

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast