Thread: Ewen Link Mckenzie resigns

vCash
    Best build-up to a RWC ever.
    Ever.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    The modern wallabies are a perfect example of a group capable of so much who are hamstrung by individuals, players and administrators alike.
    Ticket prices are too high, attending crowds are at an all time low, union is the fourth sport in australia and will probably be soon ranked just behind the under 12's tee-ball if the trend continues.
    Too true, mate.

Now Pulver has the gall to blame the media and the Australian Public - i.e. the fans and supporters - for the ARU's woes.
    Perhaps he'll only be happy when everyone loses interest in Union, stops going to games, stops watching Foxtel etc - that way, the ARU can continue to stuff things up without any fear of reading criticism in the press and in forums like this.

Meantime- the A-league just piles on success after success - 41,000 at the Sydney derby last night, 33,000 in Adelaide the night before - attendances like those are in our dreams, ARU ...

vCash
    The King is dead...long live the King

After the shite that has been going on, Link was honest enough to look in the mirror and accept the playing group did not respect him. Credit where credit is due. Link fell on his sword for the benefit of Australian rugby.

It is a shame actually. For the first time since the 1980's, Australia was playing a brand of rugby we wanted to watch. I actually thought the team was heading in the right direction despite 3 close losses in the last month. Losing to RSA in Africa is no shame. The debacle in Argentina was the result of the facre that has unravelled in the last month. The teams soul was revealed and the coach fell on his sword.

Tis better to die on your feet than live on your knees

Graham Henry........dead set, that'll do me. He looks good coaching the allblacks with a world class coaching team telling him what to do. He is an epic dribbler. Watch the video of the Lions in Australia 2001 for candid dressing room comments. You can't argue with his results coaching NZ but it didn't have a lot to do with him.

Link cast a lonely figure walking the corridor. The bloke has massive balls for surrendering his dream. It reflects just how toxic the team environment must have been. It was great to see a tearless resignation. I have enormous respect for the guy. He's a straight shooter and he had a vision that had us on the cusp of beating great teams in a style that the Australian rugby fans wanted to watch.

The frustration of losing the test after the bell was exasperating and hollow. The team performance was essentially very good. I had a bad feeling when they took Phipps off. He was outstanding. White makes poor decisions. The poorly directed pick and go to chew off the last 3 minutes was a brain fart and a poorly executed rabble that was obviously going to lead to a turnover or a penalty. It was like watching old people f*ck and any halfback with a brain would have changed the tactic when they saw how poorly the execution was. When he worked it out he did a box kick that made 2m. The rest is history. The Blicks had everybody except the fullback in the frontline to try and smah us and turn the ball over. A long downtown into touch and a slow walk to the lineout in their 22 would have been the smart play.

White just isn't a smart player. He does dumb things and takes wrong options every 2nd play.

Jaysus, what a mess. I suppose the only good news is that this didn't happen 5 days before flying to the RWC

The players will essentially be the same. A new coach will bring a different style that they will all have to adjust to just as they were getting it right.

I'm hoping for Cheika. The bloke brings an attacking mindset and loves a physical approach. His teams play a very aggressive style but also play attacking rugby. he likes big boppers in his pack and Australian rugby needs to be able to compete with the poms, boks and allblacks up front which we rarely do.

I thought Slipper was outstanding last night. Some of his hits were massive and the allblacks were fair dinkum scared when he came in to clean out at the ruck. He was hitting allblacks with venom and he was hurting them. Very impressive stuff. Our locks are shite. Thanks for asking.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Controversy corner

vCash
    In the good ole days, all this would have been kept in house.

When did Australia turn into the world's biggest metrosexual group?

The Baby Faced Assasin

vCash
    I thought our set piece was pretty good last night. On that subject I would REALLY like to see the assistant who called the first scrum penalty against Slipper made to explain it. It was a completely diabolical call with sSlipper still on his feet and Franks on his knees. You can't see something that's not there and it was no way a 50/50 call.

Pretty sad to see the resignation too. Agree the style of play was heading in the right direction -getting back towardz a tradional Wallaby running game. But all this shit did come on his watch. New broom time. Cheika may be what's needed. Self made man who can dictate his own employment criteria.

Last edited by shasta; 19-10-14 at 13:14.

vCash
    This smells of kangaroo court

Scrum penalties are always a lottery because it is adjudicated by people that have either never played rugby or played in the backs

Post retirement props do not have the aerobic capacity to be referees or the tiny genitals for that matter

To be fair, Slipper was in a hinging position when the penalty blew. It was pretty obvious however that he hadn't been when the allblack collapsed it however. I thought the referee let the game flow beautifully despite some 50:50 scrum calls. Until the wallabies start dominating scrums, they will continue to cop the whistle where the sun doesn't shine when scrums collapse.

A pleasing performance despite the 80th minute heart break.

A disappointing end to the McKenzie era. He was taking the style of play in the right direction.

If anybody other than Cheika takes over, we're proper f*cked

Kangaroo Court is in session..........all rise

vCash
    So if Cheika gets the nod - we've got Beale back again!?

vCash
    And if Jake White gets the nod - doubt whether he'd have much respect from the Brumbies players he's already shafted. Burnt his bridges there well and truly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    So if Cheika gets the nod - we've got Beale back again!?
    No way!!! If Beale gets another chance I will never support international rugby again....

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    It's becoming fairly obvious noe that ARU nameless faces haves been calling the shots. I would luv to know who the guys actually are?
    no one names the nameless men, or else.....

vCash
    I am with you WFDom 100% If Beale get to stay I think I might talk to JoC and get him a payout for unfair dismissal .. Got a good chance with the record of others still employed at the ARU. Agree with Happy that somewhere there is an underlying problem to loose 2 great coaches with a great history of coaching winning clubs.
    I know there is no time for this what I am about to offer but I think the format for choosing the Wallaby teams needs to opened up every yr so nobody thinks he is a shoe in.
    I think all players in the Super 15 and NRC should be available and we should have a possibles and a probables team play off and the Wallaby team is picked from that.
    The draw for the teams is the top 4 players for each position and then drawn out of a hat sent to 2 separate camps.. Coaches will be all the 5 super rugby coaches and the selectors to get the best on the park.. Then they play off in a game and the selectors choose the team . Gives everyone a chance...

Before anyone get on a plane on Friday there needs to be a meeting asking players and team staff what they want from the Wallaby jersey.
    All player payments should be stopped and they have to earn them on the trip... All players will get a spending allowance and a match payment... Any one not happy is not a dedicated player to wear the jersey... All players will be reviewed on return and payments made according to proformance. Yes it a professional era but also pride is needed to wear the jersey.

Last edited by Tonkar; 19-10-14 at 16:58.

vCash
    The reasoning behind Wallaby contracting is the achilles heel. If all you get iz a Super Rugby contract and Wallaby match payments with performance incentives there is no "player power" problem. The fear of losing hoards of players to other competitions may not be a real one. Time will tell. In any event the current system has failed miserably. The ARU board need to have the balls to throw it in the bin.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    the era of trial matches is long gone--these days there are so many matches the selectors can see and assess a player.Years ago it was a different story.
    By the way I'm one of the few former New zealanders over here that wasn't a All Black triallist--the bloody selectors must have lost my telephone number

pricks

vCash
    Gunny I do agree to some extent with trial matches but was just trying to get more players in the pool as at present the flight west is to long for the selectors so we miss out... if they were to go on stats why is hodgo warming a bench

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Wallabies squad resigns after losing respect of Australia

Wallabies squad resigns after losing respect of Australia
    6 hours agoEditorRugbyAdd comment hooper

The entire Wallabies squad has announced their resignation this morning after captain Michael Hooper admitted that, following Saturday night’s last minute loss to the All Blacks, the team had lost the respect of all Australians. The shock announcement follows the resignation of Wallabies coach Ewen McKenzie, who threw in the towel after losing the respect of the team.

“On reflection, we’ve had two opportunities to beat the All Blacks on home soil this year, and we choked on both of them,” Hooper said at a press conference this morning. “We clearly played the better rugby all night and yet we couldn’t defend a 10 point lead against a 14 man All Blacks team.

“Combined with the earlier 12-all draw in Sydney, even I’m finding it hard to have any respect for myself,” Hooper continued.

Center Adam Ashley-Cooper, who racked up 100 tests for the Wallabies on Saturday night, conceded that he’d been struggling to have any respect for Hooper for a number of months, “I mean with that haircut, can anyone take him seriously as captain? He’s more focused protecting his golden locks for a post-rugby career as a shampoo model than he is on winning possession at the breakdown.”

Australian Rugby Union Chief Executive Bill Pulver said that while the mass resignation was unfortunate, it had been expected.

“It doesn’t surprise me that the team has taken responsibility for the mess we’re now in, and while it leaves us in a bit of a conundrum as to who we’ll send on our northern hemisphere tour this year, it means I can wipe my hands of this entire sorry affair,” Pulver said.

While nearly all of the Wallabies’ resignations are effective immediately, recently recalled play maker Quade Cooper has asked for his resignation to be backdated several years in acknowledgement that he never had the respect of the Australian rugby public to begin with.

http://sportbox.co.nz/?p=508

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast