Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Ewen Link Mckenzie resigns

vCash
    It's becoming fairly obvious noe that ARU nameless faces haves been calling the shots. I would luv to know who the guys actually are?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Just read this in planet rugby and laughed the second and third paragraghs are a joke as this is waht has lead to the position they in now... lack of leadership from the board and the senior player group their now (( Horwill and his mates )

"We hope to have the new Head Coach in place before the team leaves for the Spring Tour on Friday."

"Criteria for the role includes identifying a coach who can lead us to victory in next year's Rugby World Cup; represents rugby's core values; has the support of the playing group; and is available.

"As part of this process, we will also identify structural improvements to the off-field element of the Wallabies, with a senior leadership role to be created to support the team.

"We will work with the incoming coach on that structure, with a solution to be in place as soon as possible," added Pulver.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Graham Henry spotted near Suncorp pre-game.
    Really Sherlock?

Your'e supposed to be the world's greatest detective. So why are you trolling TWF?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Eddie Jones Predicts the future lol Gee wouldn't this be a reality check for rugby if it is true from Rugby Planet again

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2...518054,00.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Really Sherlock?

Your'e supposed to be the world's greatest detective. So why are you trolling TWF?
    Just reporting the facts, no matter how circumstantial they are.

I doubt he's signed on but I wouldn't say no if he had.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Just reporting the facts, no matter how circumstantial they are.
    Yes, it is a bit suss; an ex AB coach turning up to a Bledisloe Test. Next thing you know Rod Maqueen will be going to watch.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Senior Player Contributor DarthMoose's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    John Mitchell is free
    And overpriced if that's what he's asking for...

vCash
    Maybe Link is actually pissed off by the ARU telling him how he has to select and who the captain is!
    Personally I don't think he is/was the right man, my bet would be on ?Cheka? But I would rather see JW as he wll make us winners even if the rugby becomes a bit boring. We need to breed a culture of winners. At present we have a culture that says I've got a Wallaby jersey so "I'm great and don't have to do anything else". Once you have the jersey should be the start of the hardest fight ever! "To Keep It"

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SNOB; 19-10-14 at 00:06.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Ewen is a great coach he has fallen on a sword and from my view to save the team as no one is bigger than the team. A man just walked down the tunnel and his head should be held high. Thanks Ewen for returning the wallabies to running rugby again. Sorry you couldn't get the best wallabies on the field at the right time due to injury to really make the mark.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    The SMH got their scalp.
    Next week they'll get Beale as well.

Hope they're all very very happy with themselves
    They need to hang their heads in shame for what they did to link and to di these last 2 weeks

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    No mate, I'm not.
    Can i ask what your objections are?
    Seriously too, I'm not pulling the piss this time

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WFDom View Post
    Fu@kin NSW rugby, journos & Kurtley MF Beale..... disgusting

All we did was moan when Deans was in charge & everyone wanted Link in.... now look whats happened
    Couldn't have put it better myself! Hey I've got an idea. How about we save money and just give up the pretence of having an Australian team and just run out the NSW retards every time. Then at least if they lose they only have themselves to blame. They have to rip it down every time we seem to be getting somewhere just because of parochial f@cking politics... every f@cking time... retards!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    It's becoming fairly obvious noe that ARU nameless faces haves been calling the shots. I would luv to know who the guys actually are?
    They are the board and hangers-on of the NSWRU, aided and abetted by the Sydney media.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Can i ask what your objections are?
    Seriously too, I'm not pulling the piss this time
    Oh geez, I'll have to write a long essay for that but in all honesty, I don't really rate him as highly as others might. He strikes me as being a little bit like John Hart, Clive Woodward; in that he has inherited quality teams, or he has inherited a team which has the cattle but not much of an opposition, or he has been able to benefit from the work of others.

He gained his reputation as a "great" coach with a star-studded, test-quality Auckland province which dominated NZ rugby at the time. He inherited an All Black side whom John Mitchell had developed into one of the most exciting teams in world rugby, and they still choked at the 2007 RWC. They were very close to choking again in 2011, where they barely scraped in a world championship on home soil, this was despite the fact that every other favourite in the tournament under-performed. Prior to that, when he went to Wales, hailed as the great redeemer, he was faced with the new challenge of coaching a team who weren't the best in their competition and who also had formidable, competitive opposition. He did manage a great stretch of victories, but he couldn't manage to turn Wales into the best team in the world, as a matter of fact, they couldn't make the semi-finals of their own world cup. Overall, along with the All Blacks world cup chokage, the thing that really sticks in my mind, was that he came to Australia with the best Lions team of the professional era, and he couldn't beat a Wallabies team who had just gone through a spate of retirements and suffered injuries during the series.

In a sense, I believe he needs a team to be great already, and from there he can make a great team even greater. (Which is something that some coaches can't do, look at Eddie Jones for example.) If the structures, basic skill and rugby-sense of the Wallabies were there, and all they needed was a bit of an overall gameplan, then I could see Henry doing well. But I don't think he'll have that luxury with this team. It's okay to order a team around with general ideas and strategy, but if the team can't do the basics or can't spontaneously maul, drive, link in backline play, kick tactically and think on their feet; then you need a coach who is a real team-builder, and Henry has never been like that, neither was John Hart nor Robbie Deans. If John Connolly was given a longer tenure with the team, he may have been able to do it, but the Wallabies may well have been boring as shit.

I would look to coaches and thinkers who can give a team foundations and/or the winning edge in rugby-thinking.

If I had to give examples, in no particular order:

Bob Dwyer
    PROS - has a very good ability to spot individual players' talents that others may miss. He is then very good at being able to get each player to lift and change their own game and their improvisational skills.
    CONS - been out of it too long; major success was really only during the amateur era. The game is different now.

Michael Cheika
    PROS - Did well to give the Waratahs a basic structure they could use when in possession and also when they needed it to fall back on. He built a team who were generally floundering and won a competition which was very competitive all the way down the ladder.
    CONS - Waratahs was a team with plenty of talent already.

Michael Foley
    PROS - Amazing sense of pride and dedication was instilled into the Force this year. They were great in defence, and generally were very structured in that department. They were able to compete in rucks, to scrummage and maul effectively; the first time we've seen an Aussie team do that since Connolly's Queensland and Dwyer's Wallabies. They could play the game remarkably well without possession, showing the value of defensive structure and good kicking.
    CONS - Could have been more expansive when they needed to be; left themselves with too much tiring defensive work and not much chance if a team did get through and manage to score against them. May waste a backline's talent. The Force were capable of playing the odd horrible game, without rhyme nor reason.

David Nucifora
    PROS - Did a great job in bringing the Brumbies a championship. Had a tremendous ability to get players thinking tactically; was also able to coach a team with enough options so that he could successfully change a gameplan in the middle of a game. Could get players into a good mindset for a match and get them to execute efficiently.
    CONS - all the players think he's a dick. May have a level of toxicity.

Jake White
    PROS - Built the Brumbies and the Sharks from flounderers into contenders. Won a world cup for South Africa when they really weren't a great side, floundering after Rudi Streauli's bizarre regime. Very astute thinker in his ability to assess a team's problems and address them; likewise has a similar ability when assessing his opposition and can prepare a gameplan to counter them. Makes sure that any team he coaches has a solid foundation in basic rugby; will bring in assistants who can work on specifics when he needs them.
    CONS - Can be boring. Is South African (though I'm not too worried about that) Left the Brumbies under ignominious circumstances.

As far as thinkers go, I would love to see some input from guys like Scott Allen and Rod Kafer. Where's all the old rugby thinkers gone? Guys like John Maxwell, Gary Pearse, David Knox etc. I think it's worth looking inward to what is good about rugby in Australia, to see who are innovating at club level, the NRC and to re-instate Australia A and maybe reserves for Super Rugby; and then to see who comes through and shines at those levels. I feel as though there is a disconnection between the current Wallabies and the Wallabies of the past few decades, and also with the wider community outside of Super Rugby in general.

Anyway, I'm digressing now, so, getting back to Henry, I don't think he's specifically the right man for this particular job, especially with the way the Wallabies are right now. Also, I'm not sure whether his heart would truly be in it either, I'm sure he's probably quite happy that the Wallabies are losing regularly to New Zealand at the moment

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by chibi; 19-10-14 at 20:32.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Thanks Chibi for your inside and open opinions great read with so many good points.. I like what you have to say,, your last paragragh sums it all up,,, Would GH do it and would his heart be in it My thoughts maybe not.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast