Thread: Former coach's books upsets Force

Champion
    vCash

Former coach's book upsets Force

Here we go. I reckon we'll be hearing more about this

Nick Taylor The West Australian
    October 11, 2014, 10:17 am

Former Western Force coach John Mitchell has been accused of rewriting history following his controversial claims he was the victim of a conspiracy to oust him from the Super Rugby club.

In his just-released autobiography "Mitch - The Real Story", Mitchell alleges former assistant John Mulvihill plotted his downfall and that then chief executive Greg Harris had an agenda against him. He said the Force had issues and was sorry he "chose to get into bed with them".

He claims former Force chairman Geoff Stooke "went missing" when he was stood down in 2008 during the inquiry into his coaching methods, but admits for the first time that his manager John Fordham told Stooke "he would go to the media" with allegations about problems at the club if he did not reinstate him.

Stooke dismissed claims he did not answer Mitchell's calls and said he organised a meeting between the pair.

Stooke claimed it was Mitchell who refused to answer calls.

"It is unfortunate that Mitch has chosen to rewrite some history in relation to his time here," Stooke said.

"I regularly tried to contact him, but he believed that in season he would virtually make himself uncontactable, too busy.

"This was very frustrating, but one of the many quirks we came to expect from Mitch.

"The decision to have Mitch resume full duties was taken by me with the full support of our board. The decision was not taken because of any threats or pressure from John Fordham."

Harris was equally bemused.

"At the end of the day, John's employment record speaks for itself," he said.

"I don't have to say any more. However, it appears he has a very inventive, selective memory."

Mulvihill said Mitchell had made many factual and chronological errors in the book.

"Complaints by players have been well documented," Mulvihill said.

"I have no regrets as it was clear the head coach was unable at the time to address these issues."

Mitchell claims Harris said in a speech: "This club is not all about John Mitchell."

"He made it pretty clear that he wanted me to walk. There was no way I was going to do that," Mitchell said in the book.

"Instead, I busied myself with some of my own investigations. Everything pointed to Mulvihill working against me; it seemed he wanted me out.

"I got the impression that there was a conspiracy to create the desired outcome."

"It is unfortunate that Mitch has chosen to rewrite some history in relation to his time here.""Former Force chairman *Geoff Stooke *on John Mitchell's autobiography

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by wholetruth; 11-10-14 at 14:56.

Champion
    vCash
    From the massive number of replies to this thread it would seem that, like me, nobody really cares what Mitchell thinks. However I tried to buy the book but it looks like you have to get from Amazon or download it from them.
    I'm not happy with his comments on Sharpie..Hertrk??

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    who ghost wrote it for him?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    Some pie-eater who masquerades as a Rugby Correspondant?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    An SA journo. Gavin Rich. I just had a read and Mulvihill is right there are a lot of mistakes. Shouldn't someone who is going to put their name to something like this do their research?

Last edited by wholetruth; 13-10-14 at 09:08.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    From the massive number of replies to this thread it would seem that, like me, nobody really cares what Mitchell thinks. However I tried to buy the book but it looks like you have to get from Amazon or download it from them.
    I'm not happy with his comments on Sharpie..Hertrk??
    I've ordered the book fr the publisher in South Africa. I will reserve comment u
    Until I've read it will certainly given 4 penny worth after

vCash
    Gee it's hard using one these iPhone things! My iPad still U/!!