Thread: Cummins may return to Force

Champion
    vCash

Cummins may return to Force

Nick Taylor The West Australian
    September 30, 2014, 7:19 am

Western Force are closing in on luring Wallabies winger Nick Cummins back to the club for the 2015 Super Rugby season.

The Force have been negotiating a return with Japanese Top 14 club Coca Cola Red Sparks and Cummins' management since they released him on compassionate grounds at the end of last season.

A decision is expected shortly that would see Cummins loaned back to the Force, similar to the way in which former Wallabies flanker George Smith was released from his Japanese club Suntory Sungoliath back to the Brumbies last year.

Cummins has told the Force he wants to return and the club is now waiting on Red Sparks.

The Force have three vacant spots in their Super Rugby squad and one will be held open for Cummins.

The return of Cummins would be a huge boost to the Force, who have yet to play finals.

Force chief executive Mark Sinderberry was circumspect when asked about Cummins' return, saying only that he was contracted to Red Sparks but that he would like to see him back in Force colours.

Coach Michael Foley has made no secret that he wants Cummins back and said after his last match for the club that Australian rugby was "caught with its pants down" by letting him go to Japan.

"I'd really love him to come back. He's excellent for us," Foley said after Cummins' last game.

Cummins moved to Japan for the chance to earn more money to help support his family.

Two siblings have cystic fibrosis and his father Mark, who has been involved in the contract talks, has been diagnosed with incurable cancer.

It is understood that Cummins, who was not on the top ARU pay scale when he left, was offered a contract worth $700,000 to play in Japan.

He has also signed lucrative sponsorship deals, including a television advertising campaign for a shampoo brand.

The Force have three spots open in their 35-man Super Rugby squad after signing flanker Steve Mafi from English premiership club Leicester Tigers and promoting several players such as Francois van Wyk and local products and Australian Junior World Cup players Ross Haylett-Petty and Brad Lacey.

Despite reports in the Eastern States, Argentinean winger Manuel Montero will not be signing.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Hadn t heard that Brad and Ross had been promoted is this to the EPS or full contract positions. Does any one have further details on this

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    and there must be a couple of others if only three spots still open, perhaps Richard Hardwick and/or Robbie Able??

Just awaiting "official" response!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Is there still an EPS next year? I recall someone saying the EPS (and/or the WTS) being cut, which was why the Force was setting up an Academy

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    All Australian teams used to be a 30 man squad with a 5 man Extended Playing Squad (EPS) all contracted, plus a Wider Training Group (WTG) without Super Rugby contracts.

Now a 35 man contracted Super Rugby Squad, plus the WTG.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    All Australian teams used to be a 30 man squad with a 5 man Extended Playing Squad (EPS) all contracted, plus a Wider Training Group (WTG) without Super Rugby contracts.

Same dog different name!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post

That's right 30 in main 5 in EPS but all good for Super Squad. Ollie Hoskins has gone into the 35 as well.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    On the topic of next year's squad, why hasn't there been any word about Sias Ebersohn or Pek Cowan for next year?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.